Never seem to get enough iron?

Options
haibu
haibu Posts: 67 Member
I avg about 100g of protein a day and eat what I think is a decent amount of dark greens and yet I never seem to hit 100% iron, I'm always around 60%...do you think it's a logging/nutritional info problem or do I need to start eating steaks every morning?

Replies

• isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    MFP is not an accurate way to monitor Iron. It is not law in most countries for Iron to be listed on food labels. Also as most entries are user generated even if the Iron is listed frequently users will not enter that when they add new foods. So as you can see it's almost impossible to accurately monitor it via MFP. If you think you may have Iron issues go speak to your Doctor before taking any supplement as too much Iron is dangerous
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    With that much protein and greens I can't imagine you're really not hitting the iron goal. It could be as simple as the entries you're using. Not all of the user-entered foods are entirely accurate. Some people don't include much beyond the calories. So first, be sure the entries you are using actually contain a valid iron percentage. If you're still not hitting your iron, and you're worried about it, take a supplement.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Don't start taking an iron supplement unless you've had a blood test and have been diagnosed with an iron deficiency and told to by a doctor. Like others have said, MFP is not accurate when tracking micro-nutrients.
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I am glad to be reading these answers. As my iron and calcium always come up low, but when I had my blood work done a lil while ago the doctor did not mention any issues so i will stop worryinf
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    cheerios.jpg
  • Talkradio
    Talkradio Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    AlisonH729 wrote: »
    cheerios.jpg

Obviously.
  • haibu
    haibu Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, this is really reassuring. I thought I was going to have to go full carnivore.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    sunpeach20 wrote: »
    Many vitamins and minerals won't reach the limit. As I know you should eat a tons of spinach, beside carrots, cabbage, tomatoes, etc :) to reach the bar! My problem is with Potassium. 3500 suggested here, 4700 is on reliable medical sites, and I never reach 3000. Anyway , I take a multivitamin tablet and when I notice a heavy/different kind of tiredness start to get me, a half of an iron tablet, every other day.

Potassium's not always listed on food labels, let alone in MFP's data base.

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Potassium's not always listed on food labels, let alone in MFP's data base.

Yeah, MFP should really stop tracking potassium as it isn't included by law on standard food labels in the US or Canada. it's misleading when people think that they're really low on potassium, when in fact they're probably getting plenty, but it's not in the database.