Calories calculated by hand from macros different from MFP

when I calculate my calories by hand from my macro intake, it's a higher number of calories than MFP says I've eaten. Which is correct?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    How are you getting the MFP calories vs how are you getting the macro info? Are you looking at food labels or authoritative sources like the USDA database? Or are you taking first item that comes up in a search? There will be small variances due to rounding but, usually, the differences are due to incorrect entries in the MFP database.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Also, MFP doesn't include alcohol in its macros. That will skew numbers.

Since you didn't really give examples of what you are looking at, it's hard to say which would be correct. Are you saying MFP isn't calculating (Fat grams * 9) + (Protein grams * 4) + (Cabrohydrate grams * 4) correctly?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    I don't think fiber grams included in total carbs have calories, either?
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    It's probably from fiber.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Rounding (macros and calories, although macros aren't multiplied exactly by 4/4/9 as those are also rounded numbers), potentially fiber subtractions, entry errors. Go with whichever numbers are easier for you to monitor calories from. I used to worry about this, now I Just eat to my calorie goal even if I am a bit over on all of my macros because I realize that some things could be rounded and because some days I eat really high fiber which changes the allotted calorie amount. Idc anymore.