Struggling to stop drinking coca cola

Options
13»

Replies

• OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Nothing wrong with switching to diet soda if you want to keep soda in your life but want to cut out the extra calories. Here's a great thread about aspartame and gives lots of legitimate, scientific info why it's not the scary monster that some people make it out to be- http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

Also, there's a diet Coke made with Splenda as well, which I actually prefer the flavor of (it has a silver and yellow box).

The headache is from the caffeine withdrawal, but 1 liter of Coke has less than 100 grams of caffeine, which is about one cup of coffee. Just add a cup of coffee or black tea if you don't want to switch to diet soda, or take a caffeine pill (they're in the medicine section, by the motion sickness pills at my local grocery store).
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Necro thread
  • maripanda
    maripanda Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    haha oh yeah, I bet that headache has passed...
  • Richl85
    Richl85 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've heard diet is just as bad as full fat coke??

I switched to coke zero a while back. Though drinking a litre isn't great for you for other reasons, it will help the weight gain piece. Be like the rest of us and get your caffeine poison from coffee ;)
  • ShaeSweetness
    ShaeSweetness Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Omg girlllll.... you have no idea! Im a mountain dew addict!! Its the biggest reason for my weight gain. Currently im a week without it and going strong. Honestly when you quit cold turkey like that its hard to do because whether people believe it or not, you have withdrawals from it. If youre getting the headaches its best to wein off it more than anything. Try just one regular sized can a day, then one mini can, then a fruit juice in its place, then maybe just stick to water. Its what i did and am doing. Eventually you just dont even want it anymore. Ive been 7 days without it now and dont even crave it. Also im not sure where youre from (but you said you lost "stone" so its not where im from) haha but if they have the medicine Anacin where you are, try that for headaches. Its contains caffeine and might help with the withdrawal youre experiencing.
  • ShaeSweetness
    ShaeSweetness Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Also stay away from diet soda. It tastes like garbage and is terrible for your health! If youre gonna drink something bad or have a cheat, might as well do the real think. Diet soda has aspartame which has alot of bad health effects
  • wendsg
    wendsg Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is not linked to bad health effects. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

It's actually one of the best researched additives in existence, having been tested for well over 30 years now. Most studies that have been shown to link negative health effects to aspartame have been debunked as the brand of research animal used was bred specifically to display that negative health effect for alternate research (aspartame linked to cancer was due to using rats bred to develop cancer early in life for cure research, for example).

The only thing bad about diet soda is that it contains sodium, so you need to remember to drink water to help flush it from your system and maintain weight loss rather than encourage water retention. :)
  • theWODdoll
    theWODdoll Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to slowly discontinue something. Going from drinking a few sodas a day to none, your brain isn't used to not having that extra caffeine it sounds like. So if you're drinking (for example) 4 sodas a day, cut down to 3/day for a week, then 2/day for a week, 1/day for a week, then one every other day and so on until you're off of it. I drink FitAid drinks to get that carbonated taste with a meal once a day. Sometimes I'll drink a Celsius as well which is a cheaper option. They have a soda flavored drink but I haven't tried that one, my favorite is the sparkling orange one. They're carbonated water and supplement drinks - not energy drinks. Hope that helps! Oh and the FitAid has green tea so there's a little caffeine in it too. Good luck!
  • erica_today
    erica_today Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Soda is the devil. Just fight through the headaches for a day or so they'll go away. You body misses all that caffeine. Maybe have a cup of coffee or take a Tylenol.

I quit drinking soda when I did that gallon of water a day for 30 days challenge now its too sweet and the bubbles hurt my tummy if I have more than a sip.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    ErikThaRed wrote: »
    I've heard diet is just as bad as full fat coke??

Well It depends on who you ask. Diet Coke contains aspartame that is used as the sweetener. There have been a lot of discussions around how bad that is for you and there are a lot of studies that show some bad things that are linked to it. I don't have those studies handy, but I have a read a few. I too am a Coca Cola junkie and struggle getting of it completely, but i have learned to cut it down to one or two cans a day (from 6+) and that has helped a lot. I have chosen not to switch to diet because of the risks associated with aspartame. Once you cut it down from a litre to say half a litre a day, it will be easier to then cut that in half as well, then get rid of it. Don't go cold turkey, it won't be fun and you'll just end up binging, at least I did.

For anyone who would like to find out the scientific truth about aspartame (instead of fear mongering bs) there's a terrific thread here on MFP that discusses it at length:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

:)

Edited to add: Damn. Just noticed this is a necro thread. :(

Well, since it's risen from the dead, the link I posted is a good thread to read anyway. ;)