Exams

Options
I'm doing my leaving cert in June (Important irish exam that decides which college courses you can do). I am not suited to the education system at all and find it really hard to study so I feel really guilty for not studying as much as I should. It makes me comfort eat.... a lot! Don't know whether to give up and restart after it's all over or try anyway.

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Can you really study for an exam that's going to determine your aptitude for certain fields of study in college? I guess kids in the U.S. do study for the SAT exam, which is similar, but it always seemed sort of pointless to me. Stressing about it isn't going to really help the situation. Now is also a really good time to find another way of coping with the stress than eating. You're setting patterns now that will be with you for the rest of your life. Resorting to food to deal with stress is something you will really regret when your metabolism slows down in a few years. Instead of eating, take a study break, get out and do some exercise to clear your brain.
  • rolom3
    rolom3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying, yeah I think I'll try and get back on track... This site is great for support and I need that because my mom and brother are both thin and don't care that I want to lose weight haha.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    rolom3 wrote: »
    Thanks for replying, yeah I think I'll try and get back on track... This site is great for support and I need that because my mom and brother are both thin and don't care that I want to lose weight haha.

Yes, it's rough when the people around you don't have the same issues and aren't supportive. Sometimes we have to make choices based on what's best for us at the time. Right now, you may want to focus more on your studies and stress less on the weight loss. Aim to maintain your weight rather than lose. I still think comfort eating to cope with stress is something you want to avoid, though. Find another outlet for it.

I'm going to school and working full time. My stress outlet is running but I'm certainly no stranger to snacking while studying, that's for sure. :smile:
  • rolom3
    rolom3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Good idea, maintaining it looks more realistic right now. :) Thanks