I want to start lifting but...

Options
I need advice. I have a few questions. First how do you know if you are really lifting heavy?! So if I go and start the Strong Lifts or NROLW how do I know what weights to start with and where to progress to next? (maybe if I get the book it will say but you all seem very knowlegable and can help prepare myself before I jump into it.) Also, nutrition. Is there a specific meal plan or lifestyle of eating? I refuse to make a completely seperate meal for myself with a family of 4 kids. With 3 daughters, the choice to eat healthy instead of "dieting" makes everything easier. Luckily my picky eater is only 5 and she is a flip flop picky eater. One day she likes it the next she says doesn't. So we are open to new foods as long as we can get them from the local store. I am not over-weight but I am fluffy. I want muscle. But advice from any beginners and life-ers would be appreciated! Thank you in advance. Hopefully a year from now I'll have a success story to share.

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Start with just the bar. Add slow. Make sure you meet your protein macros.

That's it - nothing complicated about it - now go forth and lift!

:drinker:
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Start with just the bar. Add slow. Make sure you meet your protein macros.

That's it - nothing complicated about it - now go forth and lift!

:drinker:
    This.

When I started with the bar I could barely bench press more than 4 reps hahaha
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    You could start with just the barbell (45lbs) if you're doing stronglifts, gauge how that feels and go from there.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    you know when you are lifting the right weight when you are pushing hard to do the last couple reps of the set you are doing. So heavy is relative to what you are doing, its not a #. it takes time to figure out your working weight amounts, and they are constantly changing, its just something you have to learn about yourself.

And you can eat whatever you want, though its recommended you eat in a surplus, and eat healthy with extra protein if you wanna gain muscle. And its recommended you reduce calories if you wanna lose weight.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    NROLFW doesn't really help you figure out the weight to start with. The author's advice is something like "Men usually overestimate their strength and women underestimate theirs. So pick something heavier than you think you can lift" (paraphrased.) If you go with NROLFW I'd suggest taking a gym day to go through a set of all of the exercises, testing out which weight works for you for each for the prescribed sets.
  • Paco4gsc
    Paco4gsc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    here's the thing with a program like Stronglifts: it'll be months before you are actually lifting heavy. the most important thing when you're just starting out is form, form, and more form.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Once you get the program, go down to the gym and do a few of the lifts. I’m not sure I agree with the, pick something heavier than you think you can lift. I would start with something very light, work on the form, and then start adding. Take a notebook and write down your lifts and weights so you’ll have a good idea where to start your first session from the book.
  • jmaidan
    jmaidan Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You know you're lifting heavy when your last rep is the very last rep you can manage (in that set) without good form.

If you are just starting, don't worry about the weight, just work on your form and add weight steadily. If you are struggling with the weight, you aren't thinking about form. Form is everything.

Lifting takes patience but is really, really rewarding. You'll feel (and be) stronger, have better posture and look great. Good luck :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Once you get the program, go down to the gym and do a few of the lifts. I’m not sure I agree with the, pick something heavier than you think you can lift. I would start with something very light, work on the form, and then start adding. Take a notebook and write down your lifts and weights so you’ll have a good idea where to start your first session from the book.

One of the reasons I am not a big fan of NROLFW is the lack of good direction in this area. I do think a lot of women underestimate their strength at first. "How do I know how much to lift?" is such a common question that I find his suggestion off-putting.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    DH and I started SL in mid Feb with just the bar. I thought that was pretty heavy!! Now, squatting just the bar is my hip warm-up and I just got through 80 lbs for my sets. Not a "heavy" weight by some standards but it was challenging on the last rep and I took the full 3 min between sets.

I'm always sure the next workout will bring a failure, but that has only happened with OHP (have since beat the weight I was stuck at). I'm taking my time because I have an Achilles bursitis issue and want to be very careful with form overall. I just can't stand the thought of not being able to lift because I wasn't careful!

As a beginner, I did a body weight squat challenge to get my muscles used to it and practice form and depth. I still go over form videos to remind myself what to look for/feel when lifting.
  • Swanson83
    Swanson83 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the help. This is all helpful.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    My experience with NROLFW is that the first time through the first few stages as where I figured out the weight load - there is guidance in that book about how to gauge weight, and that lifting to failure is not the goal.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    On your first day I would start light and keeping adding weight until you can't do 5 reps with good form or your movement slows down. That's where your starting point should be. When I started, I knew I could squat over 135 but my I wasn't using good form past about 100 pounds so that's where I started. You'd likely be starting even lighter than that.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Swanson83 wrote: »
    I need advice. I have a few questions. First how do you know if you are really lifting heavy?! So if I go and start the Strong Lifts or NROLW how do I know what weights to start with and where to progress to next? (maybe if I get the book it will say but you all seem very knowlegable and can help prepare myself before I jump into it.) Also, nutrition. Is there a specific meal plan or lifestyle of eating? I refuse to make a completely seperate meal for myself with a family of 4 kids. With 3 daughters, the choice to eat healthy instead of "dieting" makes everything easier. Luckily my picky eater is only 5 and she is a flip flop picky eater. One day she likes it the next she says doesn't. So we are open to new foods as long as we can get them from the local store. I am not over-weight but I am fluffy. I want muscle. But advice from any beginners and life-ers would be appreciated! Thank you in advance. Hopefully a year from now I'll have a success story to share.

You know you are lifting heavy if you have a hard time completing all the reps required.

Stronglifts he gives you starting weights in his videos I believe it is the bar for upper body and 90lbs for the DL and squat I think was 60lbs maybe...

NROLW I believe the books tells you.

SL you add weight each time you complete a set with good form...

When I started SL I just made sure I got my protein in...now I wish I had gotten my carbs in as well for the energy...I found when I do that esp eating at a deficit my lifts are better.

If you choose SL get some fractional plates as well and don't feel you have to add 5lbs each time...try 2.5 esp on upper body.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Find your 1 or 3 rep maximum then plug them into the spreadsheets of the various programs based on what the program outlines. Most routines out there will say do x% of your max for y exercise so knowing this is important. Its best to underestimate in the beginning and just stay consistent and the gains will come. Take a protein shake or 2 a day if you think your deficient in your intake.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I might recommend that you schedule a few appointments with a trainer - a good one, do your research! They will be able to work with you to be sure your form is correct and assist you in determining what a safe starting weight is for you.
  • ratschbumm
    ratschbumm Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    >Find your 1 or 3 rep maximum then plug them into the spreadsheets

as a beginner she can't really find her 1 rm, because she has no experience in exercises form.

So the best solution is to start with minimal weight even if you can lift more with brute force. Train form first, and then check your strength.