Seeking Ladies who LIFT!

fairy2b
fairy2b Posts: 126 Member
Hey ladies!

I'm down a total of 60 lbs (wooo hoooo!!!) and I'm within 15 lbs of my goal weight and I'd like to start lifting. So far I have been using weight machines (2-3x week) but I see these amazing results with women who lift free weights! I'd like to incorporate it into my fitness plan, but my gym is pretty guy centric, so there is an intimidation factor combined with the fact that I have no idea what I'm doing!!!

Have any ladies been in this situation before, and if so, any tips? Any youtube tutorials that might be worth watching to educate myself? Or should I suck it up and get a personal training session to teach me how to lift properly?

Many thanks!
xx Nora

Replies

• BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,153 Member
    edited April 2015
    Suck it up and learn how to do it correctly. You won't regret it. Otherwise, you may end up just piecing things together and not getting the results you desire. The guys don't bite - most are very helpful. Some will be scared of you and some will put on the macho act. SO WHAT? Let this be great practice as part of your fitness venture!!!

Edit: I was trained by a power lifter and a body builder. I didn't just go with any random trainer. Take your time to find a person who knows what he/she is doing - you'll thank yourself in the long run.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    yeah suck it up and learn correctly. And don't worry about the guys in the gym, most of them have no clue what they are doing and are just posing and trying to impress each other.
  • kailadriel
    kailadriel Posts: 75 Member
    Hi there! Welcome to the club!

You should check out a couple of different programs and see which one appeals for you. Stronglifts 5x5 is handy since it is free (Is online and also has an app!), but Strong Curves, New Rules of Lifting for Women, and Starting Strength are all great beginners' programs.
  • jannybabe81
    jannybabe81 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi! I'm massively into clean eating and bodybuilding style training. Would love to compete in bikini 1 day!
  • fairy2b
    kailadriel wrote: »

You should check out a couple of different programs and see which one appeals for you. Stronglifts 5x5 is handy since it is free (Is online and also has an app!), but Strong Curves, New Rules of Lifting for Women, and Starting Strength are all great beginners' programs.

Thanks for these resources! I'm not interested in going hardcore or competing, I really just want to lean out and tone up. Is lifting the way to achieve this?
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    fairy2b wrote: »

Thanks for these resources! I'm not interested in going hardcore or competing, I really just want to lean out and tone up. Is lifting the way to achieve this?
    No such thing as toning

You can lose BF through a deficit so that the muscles are more visible. And lift throughout to minimize muscle loss.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Yes- lifting is the way to awesome.

starting strength
    strong lifts
    new rules of lifting
    strong curves

use your lizard eyes and start watching people-figure out which ones know what they are doing..

watch some youtube videos (so you think you can squat/deadlift/bench/ohp etc etc) I think the California school of Strength has some really good tutorials as well...

If you're feeling a little nervous- go in off peak hours- first thing in the morning- like 10 am- or 1 PM (after lunch crowd goes away)- then late at night- 9 PM- Friday nights are good- saturday afternoon- Sunday afternoon- usually the regulars and die hards in there.

You'll feel more comfortable and probably won't have to fight for equipment.

Don't be concerned with the low weight- it's fine. everyone starts somewhere.

Use a broomstick at home to practice if you won't.

Don't underestimate a good warm up- mobility work and technical work (very light weight- or bar only)

technical work on the front end will save you a lot of weight as you climb higher.

• BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,153 Member

That is why I started. As my body started really changing, I was so excited to take it further. I'm still only at "figure" level of body building (not lean enough though), but in order to really get that fitness look (lean and not soft), lifting will do that for you (as long as your nutrition is in order). When I stated about getting trained by those who know.....you just cannot substitute an actual person who can point out the little things that matter when you lift. Sure, you can get a lot of good info online and many people do, but when you do a specific lift and have questions on form or breathing....nothing like a qualified person right there to help you.

One of the best things I've experience at the gym I go to: Many guys do barbell curls with weights that are too heavy and they swing their upper body for momentum to curl the bar up. You do not want that swing (unless it's a last rep struggle and you aren't going overboard with your motion). What is impressive is having a woman stand with the bar, with plates, hanging straight down and slowly curling up, breathing correctly, and slowly lowering all the way back down. You'll be impressing the guys and yourself (even though some may never say it).

It's all up to you though.....at least if you get trained, and don't want to do it, you will have that experience and won't have to wonder if you'd have liked it more IF you'd have gotten trained! :)

• AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Just go in there and start with the bar. I was intimidated at first, stuck to the machines for a couple of months, and then I just went for it. That was over 2 years ago, and I haven't looked back.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    I'm a Strong Lifts girl. Lift all the weights, it's good to feel and be strong :)
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member

"Toning" as it is used these days is completely incorrect. You want to lose body fat to make those muscles appear more defined. Lifting weights will help with that.

The resources from @kailadriel are not really for those interested in competing. They are a good start for anyone that wants to start lifting. If you are someone who needs structure and a plan that can be laid out for several weeks, one of these programs is the best way to go. I do recommend getting a personal trainer for at least a couple of sessions (if you can afford it) to make sure that you are practicing proper form when performing these lifts.

As far as intimidation goes, I get it. I am one of two women who uses the free weights section of my gym and the other woman is my former trainer/professional figure competitor. Something I've learned though... no one pays any attention to me over there. We all just want to get through our workouts and get on with our days. It's lovely.
  • LaarainNYC
    LaarainNYC Posts: 90 Member
    There's a group on MFP for women on Strong Lifts and other similar programs. I like Strong Lifts because it's simple, and as kailadriel mentioned above, has a handy app.
  • Yawnetu
    Yawnetu Posts: 53 Member
    The fact that you feel a little intimidated by the guys is a signal to you that it is EXACTLY what you should do. Walk right through that fear and watch it evaporate. You can't get strong without lifting some weights and you can't get confidence without challenging your fears.

You go, girl. You will never regret doing it, but you WILL regret not rising to the challenge. After all, you set it yourself. :)
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Yes- lifting is the way to awesome.

starting strength
    strong lifts
    new rules of lifting
    strong curves

use your lizard eyes and start watching people-figure out which ones know what they are doing..

watch some youtube videos (so you think you can squat/deadlift/bench/ohp etc etc) I think the California school of Strength has some really good tutorials as well...

If you're feeling a little nervous- go in off peak hours- first thing in the morning- like 10 am- or 1 PM (after lunch crowd goes away)- then late at night- 9 PM- Friday nights are good- saturday afternoon- Sunday afternoon- usually the regulars and die hards in there.

You'll feel more comfortable and probably won't have to fight for equipment.

Don't be concerned with the low weight- it's fine. everyone starts somewhere.

Use a broomstick at home to practice if you won't.

Don't underestimate a good warm up- mobility work and technical work (very light weight- or bar only)

technical work on the front end will save you a lot of weight as you climb higher.

Fantastic advice. I know I bring this up a lot when I'm responding to threads with these types of questions, but I also use bodybuilding.com. Lots of great advice, videos on how to perform the exercises, nutrition information, and they've got an app to track your workouts, weight lifted, reps, etc.

Don't feel intimidated. I've found that most people don't really give a *kitten* who is lifting... and there are really few feelings better than hitting a new PR. :)
  • fairy2b
    Thanks everyone!!! I think I'll start with a training session to get my bearings and go for it!!!
  • newport3158
    newport3158 Posts: 75 Member
    I've been lifting for about 8 years. I learned in my living room with a set of Dumbbells and Jillian michaels and jari love. I had a background in the weight room, I would use the machines with my dad when I was a teenager, but it eventually progressed. After listening to my tv "trainers" and working it in my living room for about a year I was confident to walk into any gym and start lifting in the "boys" section. Don't be intimidated by them, they actually love it when u work over there. Remember the boys are normal people just like you, and it's really great when u ask them to work in on something they are using, seriously, they love it.
  • parkerpowerlift
    parkerpowerlift Posts: 196 Member
    Please start Strong Lifts! I am down 43 pounds, from running, and yet I'm STILL not pleased with my body. I am about 10 pounds away from my goal weight and am aiming for a total body recomp! I am a newbie to lifting and I just started the 5x5 lifting program and I LOVE it. I'm 3 weeks into it, Nora!