Woman's World Magazine

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Question: who is buying them? Tackle the root and the tree falls. Maybe air drop the classics in to at-risk neighbourhoods. Or offer roadside counselling outside discount supermarkets.
  • Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    edited April 2015
    usmcmp wrote: »
    LCloops wrote: »
    /\/\ Yes, I totally agree. This is why all the confusion permeates logical discussion on the forums, about what is the right way to lose weight. This magazine is one big contradiction, the front page sells you on looking thin. Then on the inside it is full of advertisements for different diets and pills that are most likely harmful, then bombards you with fattening recipes. This magazine is one of the worse for pushing diet garbage...

I find the magazines like Cosmo/Elle/Self etc. even more annoying with various articles focus on self-esteem and self-acceptance paired with underweight models and quick fix diets.

Like this:
    11134144_1013066145390111_9218703917416478368_n.jpg?oh=c8849742b98f2f828269c1b6697d1d42&oe=55A18F7A

They spelled "veggies" wrong. I find that reprehensible!

But, it's obviously the corset that's making you loose weight. Not the irresponsible ~500 calorie eating plan. Unless I have a big mac for breakfast, they really don't specify. What am I to do?!?!
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    The weekly fad diet with a dessert recipe cracks me up every time I see it.

The Halloween one is interesting. How did they come up with a random number like "Lose up to 106 pounds"?
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    LCloops wrote: »
    /\/\ Yes, I totally agree. This is why all the confusion permeates logical discussion on the forums, about what is the right way to lose weight. This magazine is one big contradiction, the front page sells you on looking thin. Then on the inside it is full of advertisements for different diets and pills that are most likely harmful, then bombards you with fattening recipes. This magazine is one of the worse for pushing diet garbage...

I find the magazines like Cosmo/Elle/Self etc. even more annoying with various articles focus on self-esteem and self-acceptance paired with underweight models and quick fix diets.

Like this:
    11134144_1013066145390111_9218703917416478368_n.jpg?oh=c8849742b98f2f828269c1b6697d1d42&oe=55A18F7A

Do you know which mag? I noticed they are recommending just eating breakfast and a super light dinner. Sounds like a GREAT idea.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    There's a reason they rack that rag with tabloids. I saw that carb addiction one yesterday in the store and my eyes rolled out of my head.

As for who buys it? People who look for quick fixes. The same people who show up on these boards asking about detoxes and the like.
  • TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    I despise all of those magazines catering to women- so vapid, insulting, worthless... My mother got me a subscription to one of those women's fashion magazines, I think because she thinks I need to pay more attention to how I dress, or whatever. What a waste of paper and money – I recycle every issue without even opening the cover... And roll my eyes while doing so. ;)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    The weekly fad diet with a dessert recipe cracks me up every time I see it.

The Halloween one is interesting. How did they come up with a random number like "Lose up to 106 pounds"?

Research, duh.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    A few years ago a co-worker clipped a Dr. Oz article from Women's World for me, about weight loss, and gave it to me, thinking I'd be interested in it. I like to think she was being nice, lol...but I still haven't figured out if she was being nice or catty, lol. At any rate, several of us at the time were trying to do Weight Watchers so it wasn't totally random.

There was a "Dr Oz Detox Soup" on the page that I made... it was actually pretty tasty, but I did not lose weight and am certain I didn't detox anything.

So all my coffee drinking is to blame for my recent weight loss, not calorie watching? WHO KNEW.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    I spent a little time in the Walmart pharmacy section yesterday, hunting down Vit D. I had NO idea there was a whole aisle full of the skinny teas, detox crap, Hydroxycut, green coffee, raspberry whatever type pills, Slimfast etc etc. It made me understand why so many people come here asking questions about these products. A large company like Walmart sells it - must be legit. Same with these magazines. How could they print it if it wasn't true?

(Also, Jennifer Aniston is definitely pregnant this time - I saw it on one of the other magazine covers.)
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    I had forgotten about this magazine! I've never even picked it up because the covers have always been rediculous. Sadly they will appeal to those looking for a quick fix. I honestly can't remember the last time I noticed it at check out.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Wow. I'm glad I'm a dude. We are just led to believe that we can get hot girls by...well doing just about anything. I can live with that.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    My mom bought Women's World sometimes for the recipes. But not very often.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    and we wonder where all the derp comes from…

I saw the cover in line at the grocery store today for the "soup that cures carb addiction" and my head almost exploded….
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I saw the cover in line at the grocery store today for the "soup that cures carb addiction" and my head almost exploded….

Wait, there's been a soup for it this whole time?! And to think, I've been wasting my time with the teas... :drinker:

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    they should change the title to "derp world"
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Wait, there's been a soup for it this whole time?! And to think, I've been wasting my time with the teas... :drinker:

I wonder if it's a sneaky way of starting the cabbage soup diet all over again.

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    jkal1979 wrote: »

I'm willing to bet that using specific numbers like that makes it sound more credible, more science-y.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    So if I am interpreting these cover correctly, I can eat all of the desserts on the cover and then just follow the advice inside to lose all of the weight and then some that I would gain from said desserts.

They have created negative calorie desserts!
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Oh God, my mother used to write little poems for this magazine and they'd always accept and publish them. I always wondered how she could bring herself down like that.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    I'm equal parts intrigued and horrified by the idea of putting fruit on a s'more. I wonder how many of those I should eat to lose 82.4 pounds in 35 and a half days?