Starting a career in fitness

Options
So after a lot of thought, I've recently come to the decision that I want to make a career in the fitness industry. I've lost about 90 pounds since this time last year, though I still have a lot to go before I get to where I want to be. I love the feeling of hitting my goals and changing my life, and I want to be able to help others do that too.

That being said, does anyone have any advice on how to get started? I'm going to be applying at some gyms soon for front desk positions/other entry level jobs just to get my foot in the door. While doing that, I'm going to continue getting myself in shape and trying to learn all I can.
I'm going to be going to get cpr/aed/first aid certified soon and I would like to start studying for personal trainer certifications. Would ACE be good for that, or should I be looking for certification through another organization?

Also, would it be worth it to pursue an associate's degree in nutrition or maybe even kinesiology? Or would I be able to learn enough myself through self study?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    So after a lot of thought, I've recently come to the decision that I want to make a career in the fitness industry. I've lost about 90 pounds since this time last year, though I still have a lot to go before I get to where I want to be. I love the feeling of hitting my goals and changing my life, and I want to be able to help others do that too.

That being said, does anyone have any advice on how to get started? I'm going to be applying at some gyms soon for front desk positions/other entry level jobs just to get my foot in the door. While doing that, I'm going to continue getting myself in shape and trying to learn all I can.
    I'm going to be going to get cpr/aed/first aid certified soon and I would like to start studying for personal trainer certifications. Would ACE be good for that, or should I be looking for certification through another organization?

Also, would it be worth it to pursue an associate's degree in nutrition or maybe even kinesiology? Or would I be able to learn enough myself through self study?

Thanks in advance!
    Understand that a lot of your career in the fitness industry will be in sales. Why? Because your income will be based on clientele and classes. So even though you can have lots of education and knowledge, if you can't get a people to "buy" you, then your career in the fitness industry will be short lived.
    That said, having a degree definitely helps with verification of knowledge. Anyone who can pass an organization's certification test can get a certified, but that doesn't mean they are that knowledgeable (which is why many new trainers just echo what other trainers have taught them or what they've read from fitness magazines). It was different for me getting certified back in the day (I was first certified through AFAA) because I had to do a LIVE presentation of my skills. I got feedback and if you sucked, you didn't get your cert. Nowadays, one can do it online (with the exception of the on site test usually held at a college or computer testing center).
    Still, learn as much as you can from peer reviewed studies and don't ever think you know it all or got it down pact. Part of your ongoing career will have you reupping your cert (mine is due January of 2016) every couple of years to keep current of new training techniques and information. Always be researching. You'll always find something new to learn.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options

Thanks in advance!

As a consumer - I think having a strong background in either nutrition or kinesiology would be GREAT. If you are a trainer, you are responsible for people's health. You need to know enough that you don't do harm. You need to know enough so that you can really help. I would probably suggest focusing on one or the other, and then work with people who know the area that you don't know.