Almond vs soy

Options
2»

Replies

• sandsofarabia
    sandsofarabia Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am hearing some buzz that soy is actually not even that good for you.

Almond is the truest form of non-dairy non-carb-y milk that does taste for the most part like real milk (except you just get an aftertaste of almonds). I drank 2% my whole life and I actually prefer almond over soy after recently trying the two. I get the unsweetened almond just because its 0-1 grams of carbs and only 40 calories a cup!

It doens't hurt to try it out and maybe try soy to see what you prefer but I recommend almond milk!
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a health-based reason to avoid soy, as others mentioned (and I do), it has more protein, so it's a great option especially for vegans and vegetarians. However, almond milk is lower in calories and I personally prefer the taste.

It may also depend on what you want it for. For example, I always put almond and coconut milks in my coffee (unsweetened vanilla) and have used/use soy, hemp and almond milks (unsweetened) in my oatmeal. Almond milk is also delicious with cereal.

Whichever option you go with, definitely go for the unsweetened version. The unsweetened vanilla ones can make it test better/sweeter without the extra sugar and calories. I also like to avoid ones with lots of additives such as carageenan.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Both are gross, I just drink regular cow's milk.....
  • robingoblin
    robingoblin Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I can't drink regular milk and anything soy based makes me cry like a crazy person because of the phytoestrogens. I'm very sensitive. Go team almond milk! How can you beat 30 calories for a cup??
  • galaxyeyed
    galaxyeyed Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of soy; I get the light vanilla flavor. I tried unsweetened once...and it literally tasted like cardboard to me, I couldn't handle it :p I wouldn't say one is better for you (other than the protein in soy, as mentioned), so it's just all about what tastes better to you :smile:
  • GrenadeRachel
    GrenadeRachel Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have seen a few comments saying 1% and 2% milk I wish! I'm lactose intolerant! lol plus lactose free has to much sugar for the amount I drink a day! Thank you all for your comments :smile:
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I drink both regular skim cow's milk and chocolate almond milk. Silk Dark Chocolate Almond Milk is the bee's knees for protein shakes!
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    yogi323 wrote: »

Research in humans is, at best, inconclusive to the effects (If any) phytoestrogen has on the human system. Older research does link phytoestrogen intake to breast cancer rates in animals. Newer research mainly debunks that study and now hints (although, does not confirm) that phytoestrogen could actually help estrogen sensitive conditions like breast cancer.

She passed away 14 years ago, so research most likely has changed in that regard but I still keep well away from soy.
  • likehlikeo
    likehlikeo Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Soy milk works way better when preparing Latte Macchiato or cappucino using a steamer. Rice/almond etc. is too thin and doesn't come out as creamy and tastes not as good (my opinion). I'm in love with Alpro light Soy, but I'm not sure, if you can buy it in the US...