Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    jonrenly wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »
    LaceyRuth wrote: »

That still doesn't explain why the entire family needs to change because you made a dietary decision for yourself....just typ'n.

Changing the way your family sees vegetarian lifestyles is a form of change even if they aren't changing their own diet.... and it is very important to someone who wants to be a vegetarian in a non-vegetarian house. I don't see whats confusing about that.

The OP specifically states they couldn't get their family to "give up their ways".

I don't see what's confusing about that.

"giving up their ways" could mean giving up the idea that every meal every day has to have meat or cheese in it. It could mean giving up the idea that their child can't make their own dietary decisions. You don't know what exactly that means to the OP, or what their family life is like, so stop jumping to conclusions.

he could be right or you could but you just jumped to several possible conclusions yourself. Why don't you ask the OP?

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

That still doesn't explain why the entire family needs to change because you made a dietary decision for yourself....just typ'n.

Changing the way your family sees vegetarian lifestyles is a form of change even if they aren't changing their own diet.... and it is very important to someone who wants to be a vegetarian in a non-vegetarian house. I don't see whats confusing about that.

The OP specifically states they couldn't get their family to "give up their ways".

"giving up their ways" could mean giving up the idea that every meal every day has to have meat or cheese in it. It could mean giving up the idea that their child can't make their own dietary decisions. You don't know what exactly that means to the OP, or what their family life is like, so stop jumping to conclusions.

I'm pretty sure you "jumped to conclusions" by making your own assumption about what giving up their old fashioned ways meant.
  • jonrenly
    jonrenly Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hello! This is my first year at a university and I've felt strongly for the vegetarian/vegan cause for a few years, but couldn't get my old-fashioned family to give up their ways

if you want to go meatless, why does your family have to change?

Are you vegan/vegetarian? Its easy to ask this question when you've never been veg and you don't get what its like to be veg in a house full of meat eaters. Its a lot easier to be a vegan when you can come home to a support system that doesn't tease you or make it difficult/impossible to make your own dietary decisions. Being a dependent living under the roof of parents who know nothing but meat and cheese and refuse to even change their perspective on veganism makes it a living hell to try and be vegan yourself.

it would be a different story if she said something like "i can't get my old-fashioned family to stop teasing me and trying to force feed me beef." but she said "can't get them to give up their ways" basically saying that she's trying to get them to go meatless as well.

I'm not the OP so I don't know exactly what they meant when they said that. If you want to get offended because you interpreted that as them saying their whole family has to go vegetarian so that she can be vegetarian, thats your prerogative. But at least try to see it from her perspective.

Anyway.
  • jonrenly
    Options

he could be right or you could but you just jumped to several possible conclusions yourself. Why don't you ask the OP?

jfc, I'm not jumping to conclusions because I'm trying to give the OP the benefit of the doubt that her comment could have meant a lot of different things.

• Grimmerick
    edited April 2015
    Options

The OP specifically states they couldn't get their family to "give up their ways", why should they have to. The op doesn't say "I couldn't get them to change their feelings"

Gotta agree with you here, I am a pescetarian with a full meat eating husband and stepson, They would NEVER eat this way and I would never presume to expect them to, as ALWAYS it is a personal decision. You can lead by example( I don't mean lead like it makes you better than them either) but doing anything more than that makes you the jerk, and causes the opposite of the support you want. If I pushed my husband and lectured him he would be that much more determined not to. I've "led" by example and in 7 years he hasn't changed one iota. By not pushing and lecturing him he doesn't do it to me.

Because everyones situation is exactly like yours? You are an adult who can buy your own food, I doubt you depend on your parents to still buy everything you eat and hope that they support your decision to not eat animals (except fish apparently).

That would be why I said pescetarian, because I apparently eat fish. I used to be vegetarian and Vegan and raw vegan when I was a teen/young adult and lived with my Family as well, didn't work then either. Why do you think people hate on vegans and vegetarians so much....you're smart (apparently) why do you think they have gotten such a preachy wrap over the years.

• jonrenly
    edited April 2015
    Options

The OP specifically states they couldn't get their family to "give up their ways", why should they have to. The op doesn't say "I couldn't get them to change their feelings"

Gotta agree with you here, I am a pescetarian with a full meat eating husband and stepson, They would NEVER eat this way and I would never presume to expect them to, as ALWAYS it is a personal decision. You can lead by example( I don't mean lead like it makes you better than them either) but doing anything more than that makes you the jerk, and causes the opposite of the support you want. If I pushed my husband and lectured him he would be that much more determined not to. I've "led" by example and in 7 years he hasn't changed one iota. By not pushing and lecturing him he doesn't do it to me.

Because everyones situation is exactly like yours? You are an adult who can buy your own food, I doubt you depend on your parents to still buy everything you eat and hope that they support your decision to not eat animals (except fish apparently).

That would be why I said pescetarian, because I apparently eat fish. I used to be vegetarian when I was a teen and lived with my Family as well, didn't work then either. Why do you think people hate on vegans and vegetarians so much....you're smart (apparently) why do you think they have gotten such a preachy wrap over the years.

Didn't mean to offend you... lol.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    OP: this links to a list of protein sources you may find helpful.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/926789/protein-sources/p1
  • Grimmerick
    edited April 2015
    Options

That would be why I said pescetarian, because I apparently eat fish. I used to be vegetarian when I was a teen and lived with my Family as well, didn't work then either. Why do you think people hate on vegans and vegetarians so much....you're smart (apparently) why do you think they have gotten such a preachy wrap over the years.

liar (apparently) lol
  • jonrenly
    Options

liar (apparently) lol

Not sure why you're being so defensive and petty.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i say this thread stops until the OP comes back.
  • Grimmerick
    edited April 2015
    Options

liar (apparently) lol

Not sure why you're being so defensive and petty.

and here I thought "apparently" I was giving it away, surprised you haven't figured it out though

• jonrenly
    Options
    OP I just thought of another resource for you to check our if you're interested in healthy veganism, if you have a netflix account check out the documentary Forks Over Knives. It might be relevant to your interests.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    The new problem is that my school is catered by Sodexo and the only meatless options are typically side dishes and pasta. Now that I'm on MFP and more aware that I cannot subsist entirely on carbs, I need some veg advice as to how to meet my macros and not feel like I've been eating scraps all day. I rarely ever cook anything because I can hardly afford to, so that adds another strike against me. I'm not opposed to eating meat on occasion, but I don't want it to be the staple of every meal anymore.
    You might want to talk to the dining hall/cafeteria manager or the dean of students and explain that you are vegetarian/vegan. They should be able to provide you information on which dishes are suitable for your diet.

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,643 Member
    Options
    OP I just thought of another resource for you to check our if you're interested in healthy veganism, if you have a netflix account check out the documentary Forks Over Knives. It might be relevant to your interests.

coming-to-america-barbershop-o.gif

• LaceyRuth
    LaceyRuth Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hello! This is my first year at a university and I've felt strongly for the vegetarian/vegan cause for a few years, but couldn't get my old-fashioned family to give up their ways

if you want to go meatless, why does your family have to change?

I've never tried to force my family to change completely, but I come from a farming family where meat and potatoes trumph all, so living at home means eating whatever my parents decide to cook (usually some form of meat). I couldn't exactly insist on making a separate meal from the rest of my family and then eat with them, it'd be too inefficient and waste the money that they've been saving to get me the education I'm receiving now, which I am extremely grateful for. My dad and brother tend to view people that refrain from animal products as hippie liberals that do too much pot to accomplish anything, so they haven't been the most supportive. Coming from a farming area, I've only met about 3 people in my high school of over 2400 that were vegetarians, so it's not a very welcome idea at home.
    I didn't mean anything necessarily negative by "old-fashioned," but I now see how some people go the wrong idea.
    Now that I have more control over my meals, I want to try to avoid animal products as much I feasibly can, so I have a better hang of it when I'm back home and surrounded by it again. Maybe then I can show my family some satisfying meatless/veg meals and they can see how delicious veg can be :smile:
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options

I like my meat to be fork tender as well. Good idea
  • PiSquared
    PiSquared Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Now that I have more control over my meals, I want to try to avoid animal products as much I feasibly can, so I have a better hang of it when I'm back home and surrounded by it again. Maybe then I can show my family some satisfying meatless/veg meals and they can see how delicious veg can be

When I started making meatless meals a few times a week for my husband and myself, it opened my eyes to a whole world of tasty food. At one point, I had realized that we were eating very little meat through the week in our dinners, and asked my husband if he minded that we were eating so little meat. He said he hadn't really noticed.
  • jonrenly
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »

coming-to-america-barbershop-o.gif

I like my meat to be fork tender as well. Good idea

??