Dark VS Milk

Options
So many people say dark chocolate is healthier than milk chocolate. Grab a bar of dark and milk and compare. there almost 99% identical. so were do people get this idea the dark is healthier than milk chocolate?

Replies

• robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    The nutritional value is the same but dark chocolate has more anti-oxidants. Higher cacao dark chocolate supposedly also produces more phenylethylamine which is similar to the feeling of being in love. It makes for a great aphordesiac; you need 80% cacao or higher if I remember correctly.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    So many people say dark chocolate is healthier than milk chocolate. Grab a bar of dark and milk and compare. there almost 99% identical. so were do people get this idea the dark is healthier than milk chocolate?

Identical in what way ? There's no added milk fats in dark for one thing

Dark - Cocoa Solids 36% minimum
    Milk - Milk Solids 20% minimum, actual 23% ,Cocoa Solids 20% minimum

(Data comparing Carbury's Dairy Milk with Cadbury's Bournville from tesco.com/groceries)
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    The nutritional value is the same but dark chocolate has more anti-oxidants. Higher cacao dark chocolate supposedly also produces more phenylethylamine which is similar to the feeling of being in love. It makes for a great aphordesiac; you need 80% cacao or higher if I remember correctly.

macronutrient equality aside. This.

not all dark chocolate is good. Eat what you enjoy OP
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I like them both, but ultimately prefer dark chocolate. As for macros, I don't eat chocolate for its nutritional value. I eat it because it's delicious. When cutting I make an effort to fit it in my calories and macros though.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

Identical in what way ? There's no added milk fats in dark for one thing

Dark - Cocoa Solids 36% minimum
    Milk - Milk Solids 20% minimum, actual 23% ,Cocoa Solids 20% minimum

(Data comparing Carbury's Dairy Milk with Cadbury's Bournville from tesco.com/groceries)

Bourneville isn't very high in cocoa content... maybe you'd get a better comparison if you compare it to 85% cocoa chocolate. Not that I've ever compared them that closely... just that Bourneville is not the most chocolatey dark chocolate.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Calorie wise they may be nearly the same. But, dark chocolate 2 squares. Milk chocolate I will eat the whole bar.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Bourneville isn't very high in cocoa content.

indeed, but as it's a common dark chocolate in the UK and has quite a different composition to milk it makes the point adequately.

I use 80, 85 90% personally but you don't see them in the newsagent.
  • louloulou
    louloulou Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Difference for me is that I love chocolate but with dark chocolate, I feel a lot more satisfied with a lot less.
  • be_patient
    be_patient Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i know! i was juxtapositioning their nutritional values the other day and saw that the milk chocolate was lower in cal, sat fat and carbs per 100g! i was so mind blown, esp since I pledged to switch to dark from now on! But yeah it's the antioxidants thingo
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I know dark chocolate would be the more refined thing, but I looooves me some milk chocolate! Love it!
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    so really, what we're saying here, is a healthy balanced diet should include milk AND dark (and a bit of white, don't wanna be accused of choco-racism ;P )

mmm chocolate!
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    Bourneville isn't very high in cocoa content.

indeed, but as it's a common dark chocolate in the UK and has quite a different composition to milk it makes the point adequately.

I use 80, 85 90% personally but you don't see them in the newsagent.

That's true. Although I can't get more than 85% where I live :sad: in fact one supermarket near me does not have any dark chocolate *at all*
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    36% is not dark chocolate for me try one closer to 70% i only eat 83% dark chocolate much better then milk chocolate
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Difference for me is that I love chocolate but with dark chocolate, I feel a lot more satisfied with a lot less.

Me too! One square and I'm satisfied. Milk I could eat the whole bar and not enjoy a bite (so I don't eat it!)
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I was really hoping that by the year 2013 we would've stopped judging chocolate by it's color.

Shame on all of you.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate is better.

your-argument-is-invalid-false-my-argument-makes-perfect-sense-and-youre-a-vagina.png
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Dark contains a higher percentage of the natural ingredients (cocoa mainly) which is good for you "in moderation", white is processed and contains milk/sugar and fats in replacement of cocoa for coloring and flavour which is not as good for you.

Basically just like grains/sugars Brown is natural, White is processed.

ofcourse not all dark chocolate is created equal same with white/milk chocolate just like everything else you need to read the label to get a better idea.

Here's what a quick 5 second google search came up wth, take it for face value but seems unbiassed
    http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/blogs/fitstop/2012/01/23/healthy-eating/milk-chocolate-or-dark-chocolate/
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options

your-argument-is-invalid-false-my-argument-makes-perfect-sense-and-youre-a-vagina.png

Bitter *

fixed that for ya.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

Bitter *

fixed that for ya.

Funny-gif-Steve-Carell-The-Office-no-no.gif
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    Green and Blacks seems to be the best ones over here for cocoa content.