Fats?

Options
2»

Replies

• ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Very low fat diets have been found to be bad for your cholesterol levels and may even cause issues with your hormones. Fat is an essential part of your diet. Make sure to include it in moderation.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What are your macro goals currently and what are you actually eating on average? Are you satisfied with what you are eating? How long have you been doing this? Are you logging anything for oil/butter used in cooking?

My fat goal is 60 grams and I'm usually around there, but I have higher calories now since I'm close to goal. I checked what I did a year ago, when I was eating at 1250, and my fat even then was typically 50-60 grams. You don't have to eat that way if you are satisfied eating more carbs, though, although often lower fat gets combined with low protein or else lots of "fat free" diet products, which may not be the most satisfying choice--why I'm asking the questions I am. Too many people have preconceived ideas that fat is "bad" or must be avoided when dieting, although I understand you say you simply prefer carbs. (I don't so much--I've never been low carb, but I found cutting back on carbs was the most painless way to cut calories.)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Yikes, some days I hover around 100g of fat. After being in a weight loss slump the weight is finally falling off.

How many calories do you eat when you are at 100g of fat a day?

@Parkercomom My phone app is playing up, so could only retrieve a few days from this week. I'll post both food calories and net, after exercise calories :

Food- 2,245 calories. Net-1475. Fat 105g

Food- 2,136 calories. Net-1,219. Fat 110g

Food- 1,834 calories. Net- 1,118. Fat 82g

Food- 2,247 calories. Net- 1,227. Fat 105g

Food 2,121 calories. Net- 1,086. Fat 79g

• jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Yikes, some days I hover around 100g of fat. After being in a weight loss slump the weight is finally falling off.

Me too :). Around 70g is pretty standard. I'm seriously shocked on days that I'm under that.

Same here, I range anywhere from 70 to 100 grams of fat per day.

OP, 1270 calories seems awful low. As Mr. M said, you could lose weight on significantly more calories than that. I'm about 5 foot 8 and 214 pounds. My base calorie intake is just over 1600, and it's more than that if I exercise.

• Parkercomom
    Parkercomom Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for a little over 3 weeks, so I am new to trying to even out calories. I am going off the guidelines that MFP suggested when I put in my info. I put sedentary because I didn't exercise at all on day one. After the first week, I have been walking a minimum of 2 miles a day. I have lost 10 pounds since I started. I added 50 grams of almonds today so far for 14 gms of fat.
  • Parkercomom
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    What are your macro goals currently and what are you actually eating on average? Are you satisfied with what you are eating? How long have you been doing this? Are you logging anything for oil/butter used in cooking?

My fat goal is 60 grams and I'm usually around there, but I have higher calories now since I'm close to goal. I checked what I did a year ago, when I was eating at 1250, and my fat even then was typically 50-60 grams. You don't have to eat that way if you are satisfied eating more carbs, though, although often lower fat gets combined with low protein or else lots of "fat free" diet products, which may not be the most satisfying choice--why I'm asking the questions I am. Too many people have preconceived ideas that fat is "bad" or must be avoided when dieting, although I understand you say you simply prefer carbs. (I don't so much--I've never been low carb, but I found cutting back on carbs was the most painless way to cut calories.)

I don't use butter or oil for cooking...or anything else. I eat a lot of chicken and egg whites, fresh veggies and fruit. I am usually around 30 or so over for protein and 20 under for fat.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I don't use butter or oil for cooking...or anything else. I eat a lot of chicken and egg whites, fresh veggies and fruit. I am usually around 30 or so over for protein and 20 under for fat.

Ditch the egg whites. All the goodness {and fat) is in the yolk. I've never had a plain egg white in my life..
    I cook with butter and olive oil, I also add 10g of coconut oil in my smoothie everyday.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Yes, ditch the egg whites, whole eggs are good for you. Consider using olive oil with the veggies, at least a little. 30 is awfully low for protein--you want to be able to maintain muscle mass while on a deficit, and protein helps with that, as well as just being satiating. (I guess because I've always been something of a protein lover I'm always surprised at how many women seem to eat little protein.) Chicken also doesn't have to be boneless, skinless breast.

However, I know you are getting lots of comments, so if you are happy with the way you are eating for the time being and feel good, it's probably not that big a deal. My impression is simply that you sound as if you are going overboard with the diet food, and you should be able to eat basically normally (just less or a higher percentage of lower calorie things, like leaner meats and veggies) when losing weight, and don't want to cut too low on foods that are naturally satiating in favor of those that aren't so much (or in order to go too low in general). My diet when I was on 1250 was not much different in how enjoyable it was than it is now (when I'm more like 1950 most days) or than it will be in maintenance. Losing weight doesn't mean forgoing the pleasures of food, IMO.

What I'd say, though, is if you start to feel more deprived or less satisfied going forward don't feel like you have to keep to 1270 or to the food mix in your current diet. Very often people are super motivated at first and feel like it's easy and then start to get bored or tired of a stricter diet or feel hungry again and that's when strategies like upping protein and fat can be helpful (and also remembering that if you increase exercise you get more calories and don't have to eat the number MFP gives you based on sedentary/2 lb goal).
  • Parkercomom
    Options
    Thank you Lemurcat12! Very helpful!!
  • jetortola
    jetortola Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you like to try out recipes, but this one has lots of good fats... I played around and subbed tahini for almond butter and pumpkin/sunflower seeds for the almond pieces for a nut free version too.

http://manitobaharvest.com/recipes/10063/Raw-Hemp-Chia-Seed-Bars.html