Is Milk Bad For You?

Options
Hi! So I used to drink two cups of milk a day for calcium and out of habit, but then heard about its disadvantages. Now, I rarely drink milk. Does anyone know the truth about milk? Here is what I found about milk being bad for you:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/dairy-free-dairy-6-reason_b_558876.html
http://saveourbones.com/osteoporosis-milk-myth/
http://www.naturalnews.com/031255_milk_health.html

Thanks!

Replies

• apoorvasaur
    Options
    bump!
  • 007FatSlayer
    007FatSlayer Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I only have goat milk (yogurt) on occasion and never drink straight cow milk...of course I can't help it if I have frozen yogurt/ice cream. In my opinion (and logically), cow milk is for baby cows-- not humans.
  • Chaotisphere
    Options
    I would go through 5+ GALLONS of milk a MONTH when I was growing up. Just me. I loved the hell out of milk. While I was never an athletic superstar, I also never had any physical issues whatsoever. I still don't, and occasionally enjoy some milk. However, in recent history milk has begun to settle badly with my stomach, so I avoid it a lot more.

Honestly, I think everything in life is individual. Milk is no exception, so if you like it and it doesn't bother you and your doctor hasn't advised against it for you for any reason, then get your milk' on, girl! :)
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    There is quite a bit of scare mongering about milk and it all adds up to absolutely nothing. Look at the articles you posted above. Any references to peer reviewed studies? No. It's pseudoscience. Check pubmed for actual studies and educate yourself.

This thread is bound to attract the wackos though so wait for it . . .
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I only have goat milk (yogurt) on occasion and never drink straight cow milk...of course I can't help it if I have frozen yogurt/ice cream. In my opinion (and logically), cow milk is for baby cows-- not humans.

And goat milk is not for baby goats?

Humans are omnivores. We have a remarkable ability to thrive on massive variety of food sources. Drink your milk and ignore the hyped up claims from the tin foil hat crowd.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Milk killed my mama
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    If you are lactose or casein intolerant, I would certainly agree that it's bad for you.

Otherwise, while it's certainly not necessary, there's no reason not to enjoy it if you like it and it fits in your macros.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I agree with Beachlron. There are a lot of politics involved in the food industry, especially milk. Dairy hates Soy Milk because they dont want it to grab anymore market share and will often fund research finding any links associating it with cancer but on the flip side, the Animal rights group will do the same thing against the Dairy industry by funding research that Beef causes cancer. I'm sure there is some truth to these studies but only in the most extreme cases. So if you love milk, just drink it in moderation.
  • d9123
    d9123 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    i drink 4 - 5 glasses a day
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I only have goat milk (yogurt) on occasion and never drink straight cow milk...In my opinion (and logically), cow milk is for baby cows-- not humans.

And goat milk is not for baby goats?...

OMG Bwahahahaha! :laugh:

But seriously, OP. If you're only drinking it for the calcium, almond milk has 50% more calcium per serving than dairy. Cow's milk is probably ok for most people to drink if they enjoy it. I don't consume it because my body doesn't tolerate casein (milk protein). I don't miss milk at all, because almond milk is a really good alternative, but I DO miss cheese terribly. :sad:
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I don't like the taste of milk so I don't drink it, but I don't think it's bad for you if you do enjoy it.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    milk is fine. see:

tumblr_m31b5gYzVI1qgcra2o1_500.gif

tumblr_lrl3qjnttv1qdti63o1_500.gif

hes just going about life day by day. no matter what the haters say.

its good. might not be great, but its good.
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options
    Almond has a 3 month shelf life too right? I know soy milk does. I like that because it doesn't force me to drink the whole thing in a few days.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    I only have goat milk (yogurt) on occasion and never drink straight cow milk...In my opinion (and logically), cow milk is for baby cows-- not humans.

And goat milk is not for baby goats?...

OMG Bwahahahaha! :laugh:

But seriously, OP. If you're only drinking it for the calcium, almond milk has 50% more calcium per serving than dairy. Cow's milk is probably ok for most people to drink if they enjoy it. I don't consume it because my body doesn't tolerate casein (milk protein). I don't miss milk at all, because almond milk is a really good alternative, but I DO miss cheese terribly. :sad:

almond milk is a good alternative, and yes milk being the best source for calcium is overhyped. but its not bad for you.

I find that almond milk doesn't go well in my hot coco - thats my beef with it. lol.

EDIT: oh yeh and the cows milk is for cows but goats milk is for me only works if you're a goat, and if you are, what kind of keyboard do you use? gotta be hard to type with hooves right?

humans eat animals, like their flesh. make puddings out of blood. eat their brains. so yeh, bit of ol milk is pretty normal really.
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Almond has a 3 month shelf life too right? I know soy milk does. I like that because it doesn't force me to drink the whole thing in a few days.

Soy milk only lasts a week from the day you open it
  • JetsetterBabe
    JetsetterBabe Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Both Harvard and Columbia have published findings on dairy and its ill effects, some as grave as contributing to cancer. Countless doctors advise against consuming dairy (including my father's doctor). Your bones depend more on vitamin D from what I understand.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/calcium-and-milk/

I can't find the study from Columbia right now online, but check out the Medical journals for more. There is so much out there saying it's not healthy and the dairy industry is dumping millions to continue to make sure the govt includes dairy in the food pyramid. The same agency also makes pus cells acceptable in the milk.

I started to discover this information myself about a decade ago and have since been consuming no dairy, eggs or meat. My blood work, one as recent as last week, always came back perfect.
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options

Soy milk only lasts a week from the day you open it

I know that's what it says on the box but I've never had a problem drinking 3 month old Soy milk as long as it's kept in the fridge.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I still have dairy on occassion, but I have mostly cut it out of my diet at this point. I always feel sluggish when I have had too much dairy; plus, they appear to be a trigger for migraines for me (my monthly migraine has reduced to a yearly migraine since I cut out the dairy). As far as the calcium goes, there are plenty of other places to get it, and there have been studies showing that milk has no benefit to calcium density in bones. Milk has a significant amount of lactic acid (not the same as lactose) that needs to be neutralized in order to keep your blood's pH at an appropriate level. This is done by adding calcium carbonate into the blood stream, and the most readily availabe source of calcium is your skeleton. Thus, the calcium in milk and the calcium removed by milk end up essentially canceling out, leaving you with no net gain. There have been studies that say the opposite to be sure. All I can positively say is that I have had no reduction in bone density (I'm still at 8.7% of body mass, which is fairly high - I actually am big boned :) or vitamin D levels since I switched to soy.
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options
    Both Harvard and Columbia have published findings on dairy and its ill effects, some as grave as contributing to cancer. Countless doctors advise against consuming dairy (including my father's doctor). Your bones depend more on vitamin D from what I understand.

I can't find the study from Columbia right now online, but check out the Medical journals for more. There is so much out there saying it's not healthy and the dairy industry is dumping millions to continue to make sure the govt includes dairy in the food pyramid. The same agency also makes pus cells acceptable in the milk.

I started to discover this information myself about a decade ago and have since been consuming no dairy, eggs or meat. My blood work, one as recent as last week, always came back perfect.

Don't forget to give up ALL meats including all kinds of fish. There is research that shows lots of toxic stuff like mercury in ocean water that can cause cancer too says the link below. Just eat grass to be safe.

http://www.anoasisofhealing.com/cancer-and-diet-foods-that-cause-cancer/#axzz2VgQfNLFq
  • chidori_nep
    chidori_nep Posts: 32 Member
    Options

I read the article u posted, no it does NOT ask you not to take dairy products. in fact, it asked you to take daily products in MODERATION, limiting to 1-2 servings a day, which is totally correct. it did not ask to stop take dairy products n no proven link to cause cancer. ("can " is all postulated and not proven!)

"While calcium and dairy can lower the risk of osteoporosis and colon cancer, high intake can increase the risk of prostate cancer and possibly ovarian cancer."

and it is correct in saying dairy products is not the best source of calcium, and vit D and exercise is equally important for your body to store the calcium in bones!

the article is correct, but ur interpretation of it is probably not.