Suggestions (three previous knee surgeries)

Options
I've had three previous knee surgeries (ACL, and three bucket tears to the cartliage over 80% removed, so I hardly have any cushion there anymore) and this really puts a strain on my exercises. My bone and joint doctor told me not to do any high impact activities such as running. I used to be really into sports but now it just hurts. I also have a problem with hyper extension. Suggestions? Please

Replies

• terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I've had 4 knee surgeries. Occasionally I will still run, play tennis, martial arts, etc. but those often make my knee ache for days. Now, I mostly lift. Squats and other leg stuff doesn't really bother me with that (any more than anything else).
  • terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    If you are more interested in cardio, you probably can't get much better than swimming.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    +1 for swimming.
  • sst036
    sst036 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Swimming actually makes my knees worse (lateral release, tibial turbancle transfer, ACL repair) so be careful with that too! I was actually told that running is ok as long as I don't push it up hills or on wet ground and I work really hard on strengthening quads, glutes, hamstrings and gastrocnemius. Plus no more fun playing any cutting sports.

Have you tried switching your focus to lifting all the heavy things? Or cycling (if you don't care about the numb bum!)?