Do you record fruits & vegetables in your diary?

Options

Replies

• Raeontherun
    Raeontherun Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I guess I just thought of fresh veggies (more so than fruits) as 'free' calories. I'll def start tracking them all though! :grumble:

Well seeing as how I'm vegan that would leave me with nearly nothing to log lol
  • fluffeesquirrel
    fluffeesquirrel Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I eat fruits and vegetables in (very) large quantities, so I do for the most part. It's mostly an estimate, though. Obviously you're doing something right to have lost over twenty pounds, so I wouldn't stress over it. Certain things; potatoes, bananas, etc. have more calories than say a cup of fresh spinach. Just be reasonable. Seems like you already have been. :smile:
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    I always add it.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I log everything. EVERYTHING.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Calories and sugar content add up quickly with fruit (and some veggies) so I record all of it.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Well since you lost 28 lbs already I guess it doesn't matter for you! But if you ever find your weight loss stalling of slowing down it might be a good idea to start looking at the fruits and veggies
  • purple4sure05
    purple4sure05 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    They're all I log! That's it. Pop tarts and mcdonalds aren't "healthy" so the calories don't count in my opinion.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Only thing without calories is water & air. Everything else gets recorded.
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    Only when en masse. For instance, I shredded MAYBE 1/4 c of spinach for my quesadilla today. It isn't even worth my time to figure out the calories. But I also had an entire ear of corn, which I did log because I know corn has a good amount of sugar and I ate a measurable amount of it.

Fruit I always log since the sugar content is so high. It's more for that number than the calorie number. :)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Only when en masse. For instance, I shredded MAYBE 1/4 c of spinach for my quesadilla today. It isn't even worth my time to figure out the calories. But I also had an entire ear of corn, which I did log because I know corn has a good amount of sugar and I ate a measurable amount of it.

Fruit I always log since the sugar content is so high. It's more for that number than the calorie number. :)

Spinach has sodium, it is worth it in that case.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    It depends on what it is. I don't count the veggies on my sandwiches, for example, and never bother to log spinach or lettuce when I make a salad.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I count them not only because of the calories but I also like to track my micronutrients...
  • g68christina
    Options
    I record everything. I try not to "taste test" while cooking. I grab one of the kids or my hubby. If they are not available and I have to take a bite, I record that too..
  • HFD68
    HFD68 Posts: 16
    Options
    I dont count them. They are good for me and dont have near the calories of other stuff i eat. Im just not that compulisive.
  • iowaoly
    iowaoly Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Have you been on Weight Watchers? I have been a former weight watcher member and they currently say fruits and vegetables are "free". It is a hard mindset to change and I don't eat as many fruits and vegetables as I used to since I now "count" them. But, I agree any calories add up.
  • justdazed
    justdazed Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yes because I'm keeping track of my carbs and fiber.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    if it goes in my mouth, it goes into my food diary calories or no calories. If I decide to not log one thing, it leads to "slips" and "nibbles" that don't get recorded and they add up. Even veggies and fruits have calories and calorie consumption is what my food diary is for - ALL of them.

^^THIS. Better to record EVERYTHING. If it has calories, it should be recorded. That's what the diary is for.
  • bugbysnow
    bugbysnow Posts: 12
    Options
    I don't count them, with the exception of corn and potatoes because they are so starchy. I can see that almost everyone disagrees with this but we all have to find what works for us. I have used weight watchers several times in the past to lose baby weight and almost all fruits and vegetable are 0 points. I also find myself eating more fruit and vegetable when I know I don't have to count them. That being said, I often come 100-200 calories below my 1200 goal because of this. As long as I feel full and satisfied I don't worry about it and assume I've eaten at least that much in fruit and veggies. Also I exercise six days a week and try not to eat any of the extra calories I burned. So to put a different opinion out there I say go ahead and don't count them. Be careful with really high calorie items, like bananas. If your weight loss is progressing like you want it to great! If its not working for you try counting it all. Good luck!
  • itsjosiebitch
    itsjosiebitch Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yes. I can easily consume 400-500 calories of fruit a day if i'm not careful. A full banana with my cereal- 100 cal. An apple for snack- 100 cal. etc. I have to watch out for this because I love fruit but too much will make me gain weight. They are better than eating candy though
  • ScouseNerd
    ScouseNerd Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I followed this for a shirt while circa my old Weight Watchers habits but adjusted. I now don't record watery veggies - lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower - just the starchy ones like peas, carrots, corn (and anything canned). I do record fruit (since I ate at least a pound of cherries today) because the sugar makes a difference. But if I go over my cals once in a while because of a lot of fruit, I just don't feel the need to beat myself up about it. I record everything, much like the rest of this community, but I'm not a dictator when it comes to veggies.