Losing the weight: beyond the water weight

Options
started using this app about two weeks ago and have since gone from 253 to 238 in that time. However I feel as if I am now against a wall since I'm sure that drop was water weight. I want to know if anyone has any advice to start really burning fat away. I'm 6'1 currently between 238-240 and want to get down to about 220-225. I start all of my workouts with 60 minutes on the elliptical changing which setting I use each time. Occasionally putting on a Scott air pack (I'm a firefighter) while I do my cardio. Not big on running because of an acl repair in 2011 but I guess I should start. My calorie goal is around 1750 a day. I'm eating protein shake in the morning and all grilled chicken, broccoli, filet mignon, ground turkey, carrots, etc. I just wanna start truly burning fat!

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Cut down the cardio and start lifting heavy.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    My guess is he is doing the 60 minute cardio to increase his endurance due to the demands of the job so I don't know that I would cut that down.
    You wouldn't want a firefighter to have to stop putting your house out if it was on fire because he got winded now would you ?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    It comes down to diet. Tighten that up - and I mean how many calories you're eating, not what you're eating and you'll succeed. Make sure you don't undercut the calories you need to perform well with all the exercise you'll be doing to stay fit for your job.

If you're not weighing your food, I'd suggest starting. Get that diary accurate if it isn't already, and it makes troubleshooting so much simpler.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I think your calorie goal is too low, although if you aren't measuring you are probably eating more than you realize.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    U lost 15lb in two weeks... not to sure why u think ur missing something. Ya im sure lots was water weight but not all. Keep doin what ur doin
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I would switch it up and do elliptical last. I find that when I do heavy cardio before weights, I don't have as much stamina as I do when I do weights first. Just a thought, I'm a newbie so maybe someone else can help. :smile:
  • nyraphe88
    nyraphe88 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    My guess is he is doing the 60 minute cardio to increase his endurance due to the demands of the job so I don't know that I would cut that down.
    You wouldn't want a firefighter to have to stop putting your house out if it was on fire because he got winded now would you ?
    Deadlifts and squats can increase endurance too, though I'd advise shifting from 60 minutes of cardio to shorter sprint bursts. Just a suggestion, but Google "marks daily apple sprinting" and you'll get a nice article on that.

Diet: just from what I see, it looks like too little fat. I bet you're getting hungry and eating a little more than you think because you lack fats. Add some butter, nuts, or avocado to your days. Keep an eye on your "unnatural" sugar intake. Any sugar that doesn't come from a whole food (eg apples/peaches/carrots/etc) would be "unnatural".

• sarnold958
    sarnold958 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys. Yeah so far it's been coming along slowly. I'm down to 237 as of this morning. Yeah I want to put on muscle but ideally I want my cardio endurance to be up first. A mile and a half running the beach kills me. It's embarrassing. Ultimately I'm also losing the weight to guarantee my enlistment contract with the U.S. Navy as well