"Skinny-fat" the struggle is real.

Options
lindsayh87
lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
edited April 2015 in Motivation and Support
I've been what I call "skinny-fat" since my teens. What I mean by this is I look skinny in my clothes, they fall right, cover the flaws. I'm not overweight - just below that mark though and under those clothes is a far less than perfect body with saddle bags and a little belly that hangs over my jeans. I know, I know, we are all our own worst critic. I've got 10lbs to lose - I've struggled with these 10lbs for as long as I can remember. Mostly because I get comfortable - or winter comes and I can hide behind my clothes again. Anyone else with this feeling? I'm so back and forth and wishy washy with my diet/exercise routine. Should I settle and maintain or go for it?! The past few days my motivation has been completely lacking.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Go for what? You won't fix being "skinny fat" by losing another 10 pounds. And by looking at your profile picture, you maybe should not lose any weight. You have to work on your body composition with a resistance/weight training program.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    More muscle. :)
  • LoveMyBabes3
    LoveMyBabes3 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    GO FOR IT! I'm kinda the same. People say I look just fine at 147 and 5 foot 6 but I want to be 135 or less and get rid of the problem areas that I see. Need to do some toning too.

GO FOR IT THOUGH! You are the one who has to be happy in your skin. Instead of feeling g wishy washy just take it slow and make diey/exercise changes slowly until you get to a point that you are comfortable with it being your lifestyle.
  • genevievemia
    genevievemia Posts: 24 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Girl, you are so damn close! Don't ever settle, skinny fat just means a lot of the work is done for you, you just have to work on toning up! Winter is gone, and so is the old you. Summer is coming, don't you want to feel beautiful and confident in a bikini without the use of coverups? Get your squat on! Get that tone butt/stomach/arms you've always wanted, I'm sure you see them in the mirror, let them finally come out!! I would do minimal Cardio (10-20 min a day) because you're already lean, and focus on your resistance workouts (arms, legs, core 30min-1hour) with weights, feel that burn! Good luck and let's turn our skinny fat into healthy fit!
    P.S. My secret is artificial motivation in the form of Monster energy drinks, get the 0 cal/sugar ones (ultra), I drink half and destroy my workouts
  • marirod314
    Options
    I have the same issue its just that little amount of fat that ruins it all , especially side fat :# , I sincerely believe that ten pounds is nothing and if you keep up with your MFP consitently you can accomplish it within weeks . Go for it all the way and never settle if your not fully happy :)
  • phnompenny
    phnompenny Posts: 15 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Lift, lift, lift. Weights.
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues with my body. I've never been overweight, but I've never been toned or anything. I have love handles and saddle bags and cellulite/stretch marks. The struggle is real! Feel free to add me as a friend, would love to help support each other since we are in the same boat!
  • NotQuiteNorm
    NotQuiteNorm Posts: 283 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    OP I'm the same, it's all about toning while you lose! You may find it's even just 5lb, I've lost 3lb (2 currently tracked as I check my scale for a few consecutive days before I change it) and already feel a bit better than I did at 131!
    P.S. My secret is artificial motivation in the form of Monster energy drinks, get the 0 cal/sugar ones (ultra), I drink half and destroy my workouts

I am currently doing the 1000 calorie FitnessBlenders (I estimate about 500/600 for someone as small and light as me) and drink about 1/4 pre-workout then pour another 1/4 or so into a glass of water I have nearby for sipping (I just don't really like room temp water). During the rests I go and drink cool icy water from the fridge. Life saving!
  • mmillyjeann
    mmillyjeann Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, that's why I just recently joined MFP! I've never really been overweight, but this winter I must have hibernated or something because I've definitely gotten soft and feel self-conscious about it.
  • xirtuiantred
    Options
    Summer bodies are earnt in the winter!

#skinnyfat

I am 5"9 and was weighing 14.7 stone. Now down to 12.7.
    People say you don't need to loose as you look fine. Tone tone tone ! X
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I wish I had that struggle, lol. jk I see where you are coming from
  • NotQuiteNorm
    Options
    ninav1980 wrote: »
    I wish I had that struggle, lol. jk I see where you are coming from

Is that a current pic or a goal? If it's current I'd say you're either skinny-fat or not fat at all! You look wonderful :blush:
  • twinsbabyweight
    twinsbabyweight Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy weights is the only way to change your body out of the "skinny fat" zone. Maybe you need a new routine anyways..sounds like you might have cardio burnout.
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I agree with you! I hate to say that it's a "struggle" but it is. I have been this way my whole life & people say I'm skinny (til they see my legs in the summer lol). But it's like I'm not allowed to talk about fitness or weight loss because I'm not "really" overweight. Like I have no reason to count calories or work out for my health because I look "fine." Well I'm not OK with "fine"!!!
    I don't really care about losing any weight because I've been the same for the past few years, but I can hopefully replace some of that fat with muscle!
  • NotQuiteNorm
    Options
    karla24687 wrote: »
    I agree with you! I hate to say that it's a "struggle" but it is. I have been this way my whole life & people say I'm skinny (til they see my legs in the summer lol). But it's like I'm not allowed to talk about fitness or weight loss because I'm not "really" overweight. Like I have no reason to count calories or work out for my health because I look "fine." Well I'm not OK with "fine"!!!
    I don't really care about losing any weight because I've been the same for the past few years, but I can hopefully replace some of that fat with muscle!

I've found that people are like this to me until I tell them, "my jeans don't fit me anymore and I'm not buying new ones because I know I am healthier and happier in size 8, not 10".

It's a horrible thing really because at a younger age I was ignored when I wanted to go to 'Slimming World' at a size 12. At a BMI of 19 I am a loose size 6 (I think I look gaunt though looking at pictures). Because of being refused for help I - and I'm sure many others - actually got this way through secretive dieting and, eventually, a full eating disorder with an obsession for body fat percentage of 6%, at which I'd probably have died if I'd made it. Luckily (without anyone ever actually trying to help me) I lost my monthlies and apparently wanted a future family more than I wanted to pretty much disappear.

Support is so so important and though I find that my family is still blazé, here on mfp I find by having my diary open to friends and just simply having mfp friends/threads, I have no fears of getting unhealthily obsessed with my weight again!
  • lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    karla24687 wrote: »
    ...people say I'm skinny (til they see my legs in the summer lol). But it's like I'm not allowed to talk about fitness or weight loss because I'm not "really" overweight. Like I have no reason to count calories or work out for my health because I look "fine." Well I'm not OK with "fine"!!

Ummm....thank you. My sentiments exactly! It is very hard to get support or motivation. My husband is also a little too sweet sometimes in saying he loves my curves and I don't need to lose anything. =\ I also have two kids so I often get the "you look great for having 2 kids" what gets me is the "for having 2 kids" part. I want to just look great! And if I know if I didn't do things the way I do with counting and working out I would be far worse off! Its just gonna take even more work to get that last 10lbs off!!!
  • jontucc
    jontucc Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I am skinny fat too and also have 2 kids. I have just started doing strong lifts (lifting weights) at home. It's only been 2 weeks so I can't give an update yet bit it sure does feel good be able to lift something heavy. You should check out some of the female lifting threads - omg those women have the best physique!
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same position and looking to lose 10-12 pounds too. It won't take long if we commit to it. :)
  • Dezfit702
    Dezfit702 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You explained that so well! Exactly how i feel! I have about 10-15lbs to go but now is the time to lift more weights to get tone so if i don't lose that weight but lose the inches & can fit into my old jeans, I'll be happy.
    P.s. I'm new to mfp & it'd be nice to have some motivational friends that are in the same boat. ☺
  • Crogirl_22
    Crogirl_22 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Work on building muscles..they burn your fat! You need a good amount of muscles if you want to look defined and toned! Build muscles and go for a cut after that to get lean ;)I could go into the biological reasons and our body functions now,but I will stop here :smiley: