Cinnamon/ cayenne/ herbs and spices?

Options
Hey everyone-

I've recently been on a new medication that has caused a very rapid weight gain amongst other terrible side effects. I was happily maintaining my weight before the medication with about 30 minutes of exercise a day and walking my dog once a day. However with the medication it didn't matter how much I ate or exercised, I still gained.
I have since stopped the medication not only because of the weight but because of its ineffectiveness and vicious side effects. But I'm now having trouble getting back to my previous weight. I've increased by exercise a bit and am still eating very healthy but am having trouble getting the weight off.
I'm not wanting to try like diet pills but I've been reading up on cinnamon or cayenne powder could help me with my mission? I feel like the cayenne would be most effective but I have sort of a sensitive stomach and am prone to heart burn so I'm a little nervous about that. I'm not used to spicy food at all. I don't even really use pepper.

Has anyone had any experiences with either cinnamon, cayenne pepper, or any other herbs/spices that could help me out?

Thanks for any feedback!

Replies

• misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    There are no shortcuts. Don't waste your time or money on pills or fad suggestions that don't work.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Cayenne will do nothing (except add a zing to your food!), cinnamon has been shown to help regulate blood sugar levels, but that would only apply if you have some form of insulin resistance. Have you been checked for any medical issues where that may be a problem?

Other than that my best advice is to eat at a deficit, weigh and measure all your food and log everything you eat. If you're not tracking your food intake you're probably eating more calories than you realise.
  • MargaretSobers
    MargaretSobers Posts: 167 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You should try the simple stuff in your house. Drink 2-4 cup green tea in a whole day. There are lots of other things that you need to do to lose weight or gain weight.
  • peaceloveabby01
    peaceloveabby01 Posts: 68 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Margaret- I love green tea! What else would be around the house ?
  • peaceloveabby01
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I know the weight gain is a side effect from the medication. My doctor told me that was a possibility. And that the people who do gain weight, gain it very rapidly as I have. I've since quit the drug so I'm hoping just continuing with the increased exercise and lowered intake that I tried on the drug, now without it, that the weight will come off. Does that seem like it would be true? I know that there was basically no way to NOT gain weight with this medicine. Ugh. I wish someone had told me this before hand.

Anyway. I'm not trying to find an easy way out. I know there's no quick fix. But I just thought maybe there could be something I could take to help out and boost the weight loss I'm already working towards. I just want to get back to maintaining. Ugh :(
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately not. Sucks, but thems the breaks. Only thing that gets it down is a calorie defict.
  • peaceloveabby01
    Options
    I was eating maintenance but then switched to a deficit when the meds started to pack on the pounds but unfortunately because of the drugs there was literally no way to eat a big enough deficit to lose the weight. It was just a horrendous side effect. Will keeping on that deficit now that I'm off the drug make me lose the weight?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I'd assume so.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    It should do, yes, but maybe something to ask your doctor? I know how you feel, I packed on the pounds while on meds last year because I didn't lower my food intake. It came off with eating at a sensible deficit once I came off them. Now I just have to deal with the extra pounds that were already there before that!
  • peaceloveabby01
    Options
    It's a pain isn't it? I worked so hard to get where I'm at and then was happily maintaining and then bam. Just trying to help my brain out and it sends me reeling. Also had other horrible side effects including memory loss, falling asleep without realizing it, even have a black eye from falling from dizziness. Ugh
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Ah, yes, I was helping my brain too!! Wasn't Effexor was it?
  • peaceloveabby01
    Options
    Nope. It was latuda which is supposed to be a weight neutral drug but of course that's a generalization which I hate because some people gain and others lose dramatically on it. I had a very opposite reaction than what's "typical" on latuda. Most people had memory improvements and weighr neutrality or loss. My memory went to s*** I couldn't even finish a text message or a tv show I kept having to rewind. And then the weight . The results I found online on forums of people who did gain weight though (and were outside of the precious generalization) gained super quick like me
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Sounds sucky!! Well, hopefully you will be like me and find that weight comes off pretty easily :)
  • peaceloveabby01
    Options
    God I hope so! I'm glad to hear yours came off easily because that makes me feel positive

I was just trying to see if I could find some herb or spice to just kinda amp my metabolism back up to where it was
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Does your dr know you have stopped the meds? Please do not experiment with this, if you have the illness I am assuming you have based on the meds you were taking, there comes a point after skipping meds for long, where there is no turning back, as I have unfortunately witnessed with relatives. Please talk to your psychiatrist and find meds that work for you. Unfortunately, if things start going downhill, you will not know soon enough. There are a lot of different meds out there and there will be something that works for you, even if the process is slow and very hard. Focus on your health, not your weight, your life might literally depend on it. First make sure you are mentally stable, then focus on the rest. Weight gain is very common, discuss it with your dr, he/she can help. And it is not always caused by the meds, it is a struggle that comes with the illness itself.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Try Tabasco sauce. and No I am just kidding.

Although it says to spice up your food because it is a metabolism boost, I don't buy any of it. For example, the uses of tabasco sauce on your food says it give you a thermo genic effect and therefore boosts your metabolism for up to 30 minutes.

Although I feel an increase in temperature after consuming, do I believe any of this mar larky, not for a minute.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    How much Latuda did you take? I've been on 80mg for a few years. I gained weight when I first started taking it, however I've lost 88 pounds in the last 4 months while taking it. I know it's supposed to be weight neutral, but maybe it's what is making me so hungry all the time.
  • peaceloveabby01
    Options
    I have told my doctor that I've quit taking it and I have gone my whole life not wanting or feeling the need to be on meds but this time I thought I would give it a shot and it was a failure. I told them I may be interested in trying something else if and when I get this weight off because the negative body image is killing me right now.

And I was only on 20 mg of it but I'm incredibly sensitive to medication historically and am known to have weird reverse reactions like Benadryl wakes me up. So it made me completely lose my my short term memory to the point that I was not functional and gain weight which is opposite what's exoected
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard of anything herb, spice wise that causes weight loss...just helps with other issues. Yes, cinnamon has good benefits and I take tumeric for help with aches and pains...it's a good anti-inflammatory. Could be a placebo thing but anything to help me from popping aleve or naproxen.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I have told my doctor that I've quit taking it and I have gone my whole life not wanting or feeling the need to be on meds but this time I thought I would give it a shot and it was a failure. I told them I may be interested in trying something else if and when I get this weight off because the negative body image is killing me right now.

And I was only on 20 mg of it but I'm incredibly sensitive to medication historically and am known to have weird reverse reactions like Benadryl wakes me up. So it made me completely lose my my short term memory to the point that I was not functional and gain weight which is opposite what's exoected

You are only 18. Your entire life since diagnosis could not have been this long. Please keep working with your drs. There are more serious problems in life than a few extra lbs.