Acupuncture

Options
hklein1977
hklein1977 Posts: 3 Member
Has anyone ever tried acupuncture/herbs for weight loss? What were your results?

Replies

• echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    If you poke holes in your body the calories leak out?
  • NeverGiveUpKMV
    NeverGiveUpKMV Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've never had it for that reason in particular, but I used to get it done regularly before I left for college.

I had horrible migraines, and since getting acupuncture I haven't had one.

I've also had it done for aches and pains as well as injuries. Honestly, it's done wonders for me (I'm big into Eastern medicine.)

I found this interesting link about acupuncture and hunger suppressing.http://www.webmd.com/diet/20131217/ear-acupuncture-may-hold-promise-for-weight-loss

Best of luck!
  • hklein1977
    hklein1977 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you poke holes in your body the calories leak out?

Haha! I wish it was that easy!
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    The placebo effect is a beautiful thing. Feel free to use it as you see for!
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I feel a great disturbance, as if millions of BS detectors suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I never knew that acupuncture could treat you for weight loss. I always wanted to get it because it just... somehow sounds amazing to be poked with a bunch of little needles for back pain!!!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I am a firm believer in acupuncture. My husband and I both did judo for a number of years. In a few weeks time, we sustained very similar shoulder injuries, common to judo players. I got mine treated immediately with acupuncture and he never did. I was back to full range of motion and feeling good within a few weeks, he still struggles with issues a few years later.

My mom did acupuncture for weight loss. I remember that there was some treatments but that she also had to do something before meals, of which I don't remember. She wanted a treatments that would make pounds melt off. The acupuncture allowed for appetite control under certain directions etc. My mom did not have tremendous success but she did not use the tool as it was meant to be used.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    kelsully wrote: »
    I am a firm believer in acupuncture. My husband and I both did judo for a number of years. In a few weeks time, we sustained very similar shoulder injuries, common to judo players. I got mine treated immediately with acupuncture and he never did. I was back to full range of motion and feeling good within a few weeks, he still struggles with issues a few years later.

My mom did acupuncture for weight loss. I remember that there was some treatments but that she also had to do something before meals, of which I don't remember. She wanted a treatments that would make pounds melt off. The acupuncture allowed for appetite control under certain directions etc. My mom did not have tremendous success but she did not use the tool as it was meant to be used.

Ages ago I remember my mom trying something similar. She did some kind of ear clip that you had to squeeze for a certain length of time every day. Basically ear acupuncture, like the webmd.com article linked above. Didn't work. I firmly believe it was to be used as a distraction (temporary) from hunger: want to eat, pinch the ear clip, desire to eat magically disappears. Clearly did not work for my mom and if it did work everyone would have done it by now.

Acupuncture over all (not just the ear) does have its benefits, but not specific for weight loss.
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I feel a great disturbance, as if millions of BS detectors suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Millions and millions possibly....and millions and millions defending.....
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Never used it for weight loss, but for pain management, it gets a big thumbs up. Acupuncture that is...herbs...well, that's another convo.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    no.

(i've had electroacupuncture for relief of chronic pain, though, and that has helped.)
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    kelsully wrote: »

Ages ago I remember my mom trying something similar. She did some kind of ear clip that you had to squeeze for a certain length of time every day. Basically ear acupuncture, like the webmd.com article linked above. Didn't work. I firmly believe it was to be used as a distraction (temporary) from hunger: want to eat, pinch the ear clip, desire to eat magically disappears. Clearly did not work for my mom and if it did work everyone would have done it by now.

Acupuncture over all (not just the ear) does have its benefits, but not specific for weight loss.

That's right!! I remember now!! My grandmother one day appeared with something on her ear!! That ear clip!! She didn't really explain or anything, just said it was for losing weight. Even though I was a kid I remember I wondered what the ear had anything to do with the stomach!! :laugh:

I'm just afraid to try acupuncture for my back pain (much less to try for weight loss if it was true)... I just think about the pain of all the needles being stuck into me, and I doubt it would work to take the pain away. :astonished: