Perhaps it's just me...

Options
TimothyFish
TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
edited April 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Perhaps it's just me, but it seems counter productive to visit this site on fitness and weight loss, only to be tempted by ads from Steak 'n Shake.

kx7r18f5wkem.png

Replies

• ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I have eaten steak and shake 2 times since I have been on mfp. Not because the ads but, it is half mile from my house and its delicious! I don't expect the ad to help my willpower. Ads are everywhere. You have to learn to live with it.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Adblock Plus. Just saying.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Get Adblock Plus.
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the ads MFP uses are based on your browsing history. Plenty of people get ads for weight loss and diet programs, or cable, or car dealerships.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Adblock

Hmmm, I'm thinking Steak & Shake tonight now
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    JoanaMHill wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the ads MFP uses are based on your browsing history. Plenty of people get ads for weight loss and diet programs, or cable, or car dealerships.

Yep. Mine seem to follow discussions here. I'm getting Peapod, because I checked the price of some grocery stuff at my local Jewel's site, which is affiliated. When I looked up cricket flour on amazon I got weird ones for days.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Adblock Plus. Just saying.
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    Get Adblock Plus.

Third the suggestion.

• never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    JoanaMHill wrote: »

This, also if you enter and post in a thread on MFP about say steak or salmon, you will prob get steak house adds.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I thought ads came per your browsing history?
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    The ads that pop up on MFP are 90% of the time generated by your search/browsing history (cookies, mmm). Maybe do some quick searches for working out or something health related - you may find ads pop up geared toward that rather than burgers? You could also clear out your cookies and see what pops up then. You could get an ad blocker. Or you could deal with it?

Also, yummy Steak N Shake, mmmm.

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    What is Steak & Shake? Whatever it is, it sounds delicious.

I get tons of food ads on here, doesn't really bother me.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Counterproductive for you, perhaps.

But we as a collective are a food marketer's dream - thousands of people who haven't had a chili dog or cheesesteak in months!
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Its just you.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing ads for Zappos shoes and the Philadelphia Comic Con. Guess where I've been browsing lately?
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    The ads that pop up on MFP are 90% of the time generated by your search/browsing history (cookies, mmm). Maybe do some quick searches for working out or something health related - you may find ads pop up geared toward that rather than burgers? You could also clear out your cookies and see what pops up then. You could get an ad blocker. Or you could deal with it?

Also, yummy Steak N Shake, mmmm.

Just had a peek (normally I ignore them, they're just visual "noise") - "Total Recipe Search." Well, you can see who does more cooking than eating out around here. ;) (Kidding, I do eat out too.)

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Its you man.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it's just me, but it seems counter productive to visit this site on fitness and weight loss, only to be tempted by ads from Steak 'n Shake.

kx7r18f5wkem.png

No use blaming MFP, it's based on your browsing history. I get Fabletics and hotel ads after planning a trip a few weeks ago.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I usually get Victoria's Secret (been on the search for a new sports bra) and JC Penney. Because that's my googling history.
  • krdews
    krdews Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    TimothyFish I get it, I posted a comment recently stating the exact thing on a "velvetta" ad. The suggestion to get adblock plus - OK, I get that too; but the point being one would assume a "fitness" site would have ads more geared towards that as that would be audience on this site.