Why aren't I loosing body fat?

Options
i am really struggling to loose body fat around my lower stomach and hips!

I go to the gym 4-5 days a week and do an hour workout which includes HiTT cardio and weight training I also do yoga twice a week! I eat sensibly in the week concentrating on my sugar intake. On the weekends I am not a cautious, I do drink alcohol nearly every weekend although I did just give up alcohol for 40 days for lent!

I am seeing no changes on my body and I still have body fat that I need to shift! Where am I going wrong?
Help!!!

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating a day? How accurate do you think that # is and why? What's your height, weight?
  • imzsaifie
    imzsaifie Posts: 10
    Options
    I try and eat over 1,200 a day sometimes it's lower sometimes more. I am 5,2 and I weigh around 53kg

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    imzsaifie wrote: »
    I try and eat over 1,200 a day sometimes it's lower sometimes more. I am 5,2 and I weigh around 53kg

If you open your diary, you may get more helpful advice.
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough protein? Are you progressing (or at least not stalling) on your weight training?
  • imzsaifie
    Options
    Possibly not. I have 3 scrambled eggs for breakfast everyday and sometimes chicken for dinner but I don't think that's enough? Yes I am progressing with my weight training I try and up my weights whenever I feel I can lift any heavier
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh all your food and measure all your liquids?
    Do you log on the weekends (including all alcohol)?
    If you aren't seeing the results you are expecting, the first step is to tighten up your logging.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Have you actually measured your weight or your body (with a tape measure--waist, hips, forearm, wrist, neck, thigh, calf)?
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary so it's hard to say anything.

If you aren't losing fat it simply means you aren't burning more than you eat.

But, you cannot "shift" body fat, nor can you "spot reduce". Where you body stores fat is genetic.
  • imzsaifie
    Options
    I haven't logged consistently much.

I have updated myfitnesspal goal and it now says I need to eat 1,700 calories do I then need to burn 1,700 calories a day in order to burn fat?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

I have updated myfitnesspal goal and it now says I need to eat 1,700 calories do I then need to burn 1,700 calories a day in order to burn fat?

if you haven't logged consistently, you can't really know how much you are eating.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Your MFP goal has a deficit built in. If you log accurately and have chosen the proper activity level, you will lose weight at this goal -- even if you don't exercise.

• imzsaifie
    Options
    Thank you I will start logging consistently :)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

You need to burn more than you eat to lose weight, true, but that doesn't mean that you have to burn them all through exercise. Your body uses a ton of calories every day just keeping you alive and even more calories during your day-to-day activities like work, school, brushing your teeth, etc. If you're following MFP's numbers then you shouldn't need to exercise off any additional calories to lose weight. MFP is already giving you a goal that should allow you to lose.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options

You're 5'2, 116 pounds, and MFP gave you 1700 calories to lose weight?? Your goal weight is 100 pounds? That is fairly low. How much did you set MFP to lose per week?
  • blankiefinder
    Options

You're 5'2, 116 pounds, and MFP gave you 1700 calories to lose weight?? Your goal weight is 100 pounds? That is fairly low. How much did you set MFP to lose per week?

I just wanted to add that your current BMI is right in the middle of the healthy range, but at 100 pounds you will no longer be within the healthy range, but underweight.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you put your stats in correctly? Sounds kind of high. I'm 5'7" and 150#. To lose just .5 lb a week MFP sets my goal to 1760 calories-and that's at lightly active.
  • Texas_boi
    Texas_boi Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    With all these replies; If MFP tell you to eat 1700 calories and you just can’t or don’t is that as harmful as it implies? Once I add my exercise it adds 600 calories but it’s hard for me to meet that number, with snacks and protein shake. But I don’t want to stop working out or not add the exercise part.
  • imzsaifie
    Options
    It is set at 100lbs but I know that I won't reach that weight realistically, I'm trying too concentrate on my body fat percentage more than my body weight as my body weight is normal but my body fat percentage needs improvement.

I have set a goal of 0.5lbs to loose a week
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    Texas_boi wrote: »
    With all these replies; If MFP tell you to eat 1700 calories and you just can’t or don’t is that as harmful as it implies? Once I add my exercise it adds 600 calories but it’s hard for me to meet that number, with snacks and protein shake. But I don’t want to stop working out or not add the exercise part.

@Texas_boi that is really a completely different question, you might want your own post as to not confuse the OP's post, but I will answer it here. If you are weighing your foods and logging accurately, then you should eat back part of your exercise calories. This answer also depends on what you have set as your goals by the way. If you have set your weight loss goal at 2 lbs per week then you already have a 1000 calorie deficit built in per day and you should eat back more of your exercise calories. If you have your deficit set at 1 pound per week or less, you can eat back less of your exercise calories. If you're having trouble eating enough calories, with a large deficit, I would hazard a guess that you are not weighing your foods, and are eating more than you think.
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    It is set at 100lbs but I know that I won't reach that weight realistically, I'm trying too concentrate on my body fat percentage more than my body weight as my body weight is normal but my body fat percentage needs improvement.

I have set a goal of 0.5lbs to loose a week

What did you put in as your activity level? That calorie amount seems very high. I'm 5'7, 132 lbs, and maintain on less than that.