cooking food and counting help

Options
how do you log properly when cooking meals sometimes they have lots of ingredients i usually estimate but how does everyone else do it.

like last night i make chicken breast sliced thin, stuffed with pepper jack cheese, low fat cream cheese and sauteed veggies( union, jalapeno, mushrooms). then folded and wrapped with one slice of bacon. baked in oven. that with a side of green beans.

so how does someone calculate that.

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Use the recipe builder - it's so convenient.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I use the Recipe Builder. Enter your ingredients, the number of servings, and MFP will calculate the calories for you.
  • kangaroux92
    kangaroux92 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    yeah but when i cook im not making one serving im make big batch. so i would calculate the calories from the whole meal and then measure my portion and get the calories that way. ? math was never my strong suit i can even do fractions.
  • Anns24
    Anns24 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use the recipe builder as they've stated. I'll build the recipe and then tweek it to be more calorie/nutrition friendly. THEN I go to the grocery store. This way I don't start adding and realize my recipe is way more unhealthy than I thought.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    yeah but when i cook im not making one serving im make big batch. so i would calculate the calories from the whole meal and then measure my portion and get the calories that way. ? math was never my strong suit i can even do fractions.

Well, the Recipe Builder lets you enter the number of servings. If you aren't sure how many servings you will get from a recipe, you can weigh it, enter the serving number as the number of grams (example: 600 grams will be 600 servings), and then weigh your portion and log it accordingly (example: if you eat 150 grams of your 600 serving receipe, log it as 150 servings).
  • kangaroux92
    kangaroux92 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    alright that helps allot.
    i think im fairly accurate at guessing, but it will help to do it this way, it is more work but dieting is work so ill try to do this from now on. and i do make same things allot so having it saved will help.

thanks so much for input.