Sodium and potassium: impossible goals

Options
nuffer
nuffer Posts: 402 Member
Interesting article about how the WHO numbers for these two nutrients are pretty much impossible to achieve.

Are Dietary Goals for Sodium and Potassium Reasonable?

Personally I find it very difficult to stay under the sodium limit provided by MFP, which is higher than the 2000mg indicated by WHO. Would have to pretty much eliminate cheese, pickled foods, and tortillas -- that ain't gonna happen.

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Potassium isn't properly tracked in MFP's database, since it's not generally included on most food labels. So don't worry about that one unless you have a medically proven deficiency.

Most North American adults get too much sodium. The sodium RDAs have been adjusted a few times in the past few years. I have no problem staying way under the recommended limits most of the time since I don't eat fast food, and I usually cook at home. If you don't add salt to foods that don't need it, you might be surprised at how little sodium you actually need to make food taste good.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I'm usually under, sometimes way under my sodium levels, but, I am vegan, cook 95% of my food from scratch and only very rarely go out to eat. I don't try to limit my sodium, it just happens.

It can be done.