Female trying to gain muscle tone?

Options
124»

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    The amount of horrible advice never ends here. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS6FA_WUi0bzEosOrAqxScKGBOdn_3bST9J1KpySXGXypKPCI0l9g
    Just listen to Sarauk2sk and you will be fine.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    The amount of horrible advice never ends here. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS6FA_WUi0bzEosOrAqxScKGBOdn_3bST9J1KpySXGXypKPCI0l9g
    Just listen to Sarauk2sk and you will be fine.

There is always a lot of bro science repeated as fact unfortunately. Sara, NDJ, SpringField, MrM, PwrLftr, Jo, and a few others I probably missed always give solid advice.
  • Yoyo_Fitness
    Yoyo_Fitness Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    If you lose weight without resistance training you are much more likely to lose LBM/muscle. Even if you do not want to gain any significant muscle, it is generally a good idea to resistance train (plus it has other benefits), particularly if on a deficit.

Thank you for your kind advice, no I do fair amount of resistance training but I also do daily cardio on a treadmill and in a pool. I'm using some weight as well when I lunge or squat...

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    So if my body fat is already down to 18.5% ish, better to drop a bit more with cardio THEN start building muscles? Not sure what my goal body fat should be...

if you are already at 18.5% then you can either go with a bulk to add some muscle or do a recomp where you eat at maintenance level and slowly lose some fat and build some muscle. Recomp, however, is a slow process….;however, if you are happy with how you look now then it is not a bad option...
  • Yoyo_Fitness
    Yoyo_Fitness Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    if you are already at 18.5% then you can either go with a bulk to add some muscle or do a recomp where you eat at maintenance level and slowly lose some fat and build some muscle. Recomp, however, is a slow process….;however, if you are happy with how you look now then it is not a bad option...

Well since I am not in a hurry... the idea of doing a recomp sounds more suited to me! today I started using 5kg weight on my squats and lunges. I am already taking more protein than before. I will see how my body changes the next several weeks :) thank you very much!

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options

Well since I am not in a hurry... the idea of doing a recomp sounds more suited to me! today I started using 5kg weight on my squats and lunges. I am already taking more protein than before. I will see how my body changes the next several weeks :) thank you very much!

You'll need to lift ten times that amount to build muscle, but you CAN get there! It's amazingly addictive.
    Good luck!

• kiwiinmn
    kiwiinmn Posts: 3
    Options
    Shes lean enough, that's all she needs to know.
    To gain muscle and fat at the best ratio possible women are advised to eat 1750 cals a week extra, men twice that.
    You're making it too complicated, and promising something which isn't really there, minimal fat gain.
    It's not rocket science. Loads of us have done it and reduced our body fat.
    Bulk n cut innit.

Only the mentally strong who are willing to gain the fat get the rewards in the end.[/i][/b][/i]

Abolute BS... Anthropological testing is as easy and quick as taking 4 measurements and doing a 5 minute calulation. How do you know how many calories you need to "bulk" if you don't know how many your burning up on a daily basis.

"It's easier to gain fat than muscle and it's easier to lose muscle than fat".

What is the muscle to fat ratio you speak of eating 1750 calories per week over and above your weekly requirements?

For every 3 lb of weight I put on how much is muscle, how much is fat?...

To put on 5 lbs of muscle how "FAT" do I have to get?

If I put on 20lbs and diet to lost that 20, how much muscle have I gained

How long will it take me to lose the fat I have gained and KEEP and SEE any muscle I have gained?

5 basic questions that I would like to know your answers too.

Your playing guessing games with other peoples metabolisms and waist lines. You logic is floored and totally setting people up for a life time of yo yo dieting. "Get fat and DIET " is the least effective way for people who want to live a fitness lifestyle to gain quality muscle mass with a minimum of dieting stress.

Spending 15 minutes figuring out how many calories one needs on a daily basis, factoring in energy output and surplus calories to gain muscle with a minimum of fat gain is not too complicated at all, it's also safer and easier to acomplish than "getting fat" then spending months trying to "diet".

It's easy to spout bro science from behind a computer screen, not so much when your livelyhood, reputation and business depends upon almost daily face to face contact with clients and getting results. I would be out of business in a month if I told every woman who comes to me wanting to up muscle and down fat that she had to "get fatter" before she was allowed to get and see her new found muscle.

• Wheelhouse15
    Options
    kiwiinmn wrote: »
    To gain muscle and fat at the best ratio possible women are advised to eat 1750 cals a week extra, men twice that.
    You're making it too complicated, and promising something which isn't really there, minimal fat gain.
    Bulk n cut innit.

Only the mentally strong who are willing to gain the fat get the rewards in the end.[/i][/b][/i]

Abolute BS... Anthropological testing is as easy and quick as taking 4 measurements and doing a 5 minute calulation. How do you know how many calories you need to "bulk" if you don't know how many your burning up on a daily basis.

What is the muscle to fat ratio you speak of eating 1750 calories per week over and above your weekly requirements?

How long will it take me to lose the fat I have gained and KEEP and SEE any muscle I have gained?

Your playing guessing games with other peoples metabolisms and waist lines. You logic is floored and totally setting people up for a life time of yo yo dieting. "Get fat and DIET " is the least effective way for people who want to live a fitness lifestyle to gain quality muscle mass with a minimum of dieting stress.

Spending 15 minutes figuring out how many calories one needs on a daily basis, factoring in energy output and surplus calories to gain muscle with a minimum of fat gain is not too complicated at all, it's also safer and easier to acomplish than "getting fat" then spending months trying to "diet".

It's easy to spout bro science from behind a computer screen, not so much when your livelyhood, reputation and business depends upon almost daily face to face contact with clients and getting results. I would be out of business in a month if I told every woman who comes to me wanting to up muscle and down fat that she had to "get fatter" before she was allowed to get and see her new found muscle.

Please state your qualifications.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Bulk n cut innit.

Two words, over complication.
  • Springfield1970
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Bulk n cut innit.

Yes, we've all spent a lot of time working out what our burn rates are so we can specifically gain muscle with as little fat as possible. It generally known that half a pound a week for women and a pound a week for men (50:50 fat to muscle if you work really hard is the general rule here).

This is extremely hard to control, even with meticulous weighing and measuring.

But your post is so chaotic that I don't even know what you're trying to say!

If your clients want to see their muscle stick them on a cut, along with the other things like adequate protein, and lifting to preserve muscle loss.

You're going to have a mighty hard time getting them to build muscle and burn fat at the same time! I can see why you're so upset and frustrated....

When you become really experienced you will be able to calmly and logically talk your clients through the process and convince them that things don't happen overnight. I do it all the time in my line of work, and people are paying a lot of hard earned money to me. I tell them the truth and I give them evidence, and explain every step of the way.

• Springfield1970
    edited April 2015
    Options
    nokorie wrote: »
    Springfield have you written any blogs on how you achieved your amazing bod? I'd love to read

Thank you! I'm very flattered, but I haven't blogged. I haven't done anything special except follow the advice here mainly in the gaining weight section and developed a taste for triathlon and lifting. I'm a former recomp advocate! I embrace bulking and cutting nowadays. I love it's straighforward concrete results.

Other than that it's calories in calories out, macro watching and a whole heap of wine and naughtiness in between!

• theresaTerriM
    theresaTerriM Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    A good start would be reading the sticky in the gaining forum ...

but here is what I would say:

set MFP to .5 pound per week gain and eat to that number.
    pick a heavy lifting program like strong lifts, starting strength, new rules of lifting for woman and follow said program.
    make sure that you eat nutrient dense foods, but also fill that in with calorie dense foods like ice cream, bagels, pasta, etc.
    hit your macro/micro/calorie targets
    repeat until you get desired results..

the number that you eat to, to gain, is going to be trial and error so you may have to adjust it...

Also, back all cardio down to 30 minutes a week max.

This is great advice! I would listen to it. I used to do body figure competitions and gained a lot of muscle from doing this. Cardio is NOT key to gaining muscle...he's right, back it off.

Lifting is great, building muscle helps burn fat, and you can look great without getting too bulky if that is a worry. It's called the fat to muscle transfer, you might not see a number change but your body will start shaping itself better. Take measurements of your body (arms, chest, legs, waist, etc.) not the number off a scale!! Work all muscle groups, don't skip leg day! There's lots of exercises you can do at home if you can't get into a gym. You CAN gain muscle without hitting gym equipment, because I know memberships cost money.

Heavy lifting! High intensity, low reps. Protein shake after a workout, your muscles will benefit! and make sure it is good stuff. Don't buy cheap crap that is all fillers and fluff. I suggest going to a local supplement store that will carry different kinds and usually the people that work there will know what kind you'll need. Good luck! Rooting for you! :smiley:
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited April 2015
    Options
    nokorie wrote: »
    Springfield have you written any blogs on how you achieved your amazing bod? I'd love to read

Thank you! I'm very flattered, but I haven't blogged. I haven't done anything special except follow the advice here mainly in the gaining weight section and developed a taste for triathlon and lifting. I'm a former recomp advocate! I embrace bulking and cutting nowadays. I love it's straighforward concrete results.

Other than that it's calories in calories out, macro watching and a whole heap of wine and naughtiness in between!

Like you I get a lot of quetions about my success as well and when I tell them that it was just plain hard work and watching calories in and out they always look disappointed like I cancelled Christmas. I think everyone who asks really is hoping I found a secret key to losing weight and gaining a six pack. Nothing like that exists and there is nothing hidden; it's just hard work and consistency but that's not sexy.

Of course, those of us, like you and I, who are on this forum have realized it through our own efforts but people want secrets!
  • terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I think that giving up on finding the "secret" requires a certain amount of maturity and acceptance. I remember looking for the secret back in the day. Now, I just do what needs to be done even if I don't want to do it.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    terizius wrote: »
    I think that giving up on finding the "secret" requires a certain amount of maturity and acceptance. I remember looking for the secret back in the day. Now, I just do what needs to be done even if I don't want to do it.

That's the only "secret".
  • abigail659
    abigail659 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Posting to save this thread. I'm very new to all of this and there are alot of great posts to this thread. It would be nice to have mentors on this site.... like big brothers/sisters who help walk you through all of this. Any takers? haha