How can I calculate my calories consumed from my macros?

How can I calculate my calories consumed from my macros? Based on my macro consumption below, how many calories have I eaten?

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Carbs have 4 calories per gram, Proteins have 4 calories per gram, and Fats have 9 calories per gram.

Your diary isn't open so I can't see your actual values.

Here's an example:

Let's say you have MFP set for 1640 calories and your Macros set at 50% carbs, 30% fat, and 20% protein. That would give:

205 g carbs x 4 calories per gram = 820 calories from carbs
    55 g fat x 9 calories per gram = 495 calories from fat
    82 g protein x 4 calories per gram = 328 calories from protein

As a check to see if those numbers are correct, you can add the total calories back together to see if you get the total that you are supposed to get:

820 + 495 + 328 = 1643

which is only 3 calories different so the math is close enough.
  • Sammi_Nicole16
    Sammi_Nicole16 Posts: 62 Member
    Ok thank you. When I do that for some reason I get a good 100 calories higher though.
    seska422 wrote: »
    Carbs have 4 calories per gram, Proteins have 4 calories per gram, and Fats have 9 calories per gram.

Your diary isn't open so I can't see your actual values.

Here's an example:

Let's say you have MFP set for 1640 calories and your Macros set at 50% carbs, 30% fat, and 20% protein. That would give:

205 g carbs x 4 calories per gram = 820 calories from carbs
    55 g fat x 9 calories per gram = 495 calories from fat
    82 g protein x 4 calories per gram = 328 calories from protein

As a check to see if those numbers are correct, you can add the total calories back together to see if you get the total that you are supposed to get:

820 + 495 + 328 = 1643

which is only 3 calories different so the math is close enough.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Fiber confounds the calculation. Insoluble fiber may or may not be included in the calorie count. Soluble fiber may be caluclated at a variable rate, but it's less than 4 calories a gram.

Anything you eat with fiber in it will throw off adding up a calorie count exactly from doing the macro math.