A question: MFP & Exercise

Options
paulalizzie
paulalizzie Posts: 17 Member
I have allowed MFP to calculate my steps each day and I see that as I move and exercise MFP automatically increases my calories allowed.

I am a bit confused as to whether to follow this or not? I am currently trying to eat 1300 cals a day, but right now MFP says I've eaten 1325 today, burned 100 cals just walking about, so I have 75 cals left to eat today.

Is it easier to just disconnect my steps from MFP and stick to 1300 (counting any exercise as a bonus)?

Thanks all!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    MFP as designed gives you a calorie deficit based upon your activity level (no exercise included). Let's say you put in sedentary, but your steps (and or exercise) were more like active......MFP added calories. This gets you back to the same deficit you had when you set the program up (ie: I want to lose 1 pound a week....take away 500 calories).

A larger deficit will have you losing weight faster. However, there is often a trade off. Morbidly obese people can lose quickly and maintain existing lean muscle.....the merely overweight....not so much.

I choose to eat as much as I can (and still lose) because I'm over 50 and need to keep as much lean muscle as I can.
  • paulalizzie
    paulalizzie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Ok, that helps...thank you! I think I'll stick with my intake at 1200 cals a day and if I want more than that, I'll take from my exercise allowance. Thanks for your help! :)
  • hlhutch91
    hlhutch91 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    MFP as designed gives you a calorie deficit based upon your activity level (no exercise included). Let's say you put in sedentary, but your steps (and or exercise) were more like active......MFP added calories. This gets you back to the same deficit you had when you set the program up (ie: I want to lose 1 pound a week....take away 500 calories).

A larger deficit will have you losing weight faster. However, there is often a trade off. Morbidly obese people can lose quickly and maintain existing lean muscle.....the merely overweight....not so much.

I choose to eat as much as I can (and still lose) because I'm over 50 and need to keep as much lean muscle as I can.

TeaBea... How long have you been doing this? I'm just past 90 days & liked your last comment about being over 50 & eating... I'm 54 & trying to lose 50 more pounds (20 gone)... how are you doing & can you offer some pointers???