trochanteric (hip) bursitis help

Options
So after twisting my hip a couple of weeks ago I now have a case of trochanteric or hip bursitis.

I have seen my gp who has given me anti inflamatories and said not to go running again until it's better and suggested it band stretching might help (but stop if it hurts)

Do any of the kind and helpful mfp members have any suggestions or advice on exercises I can do to help my recovery and what exercises I can do to maintain my current level of fitness that do not involve running, high impact or aggravating a joint which cannot take any rotational stress at the moment.

Thanks

Jus

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Strength training, swimming, medicine ball slams, boxing, cycling? jump rope?

As far as exercises to help your recovery, that's a question for your doctor or a physical therapist.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Low impact exercise. Look up chris powells the workout on youtube it has 3 levels and many different alternate moves if you have knee hip issues. Slim in 6 is low impact too. Non jarring movements and walking. No jumping, jogging, jumping jacks etc. Lots of stretches!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    no rotation at all? can you do straightforward hinging type movements? maybe rowing?
  • jusbowers
    jusbowers Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Strength training, swimming, medicine ball slams, boxing, cycling? jump rope?

As far as exercises to help your recovery, that's a question for your doctor or a physical therapist.

Thanks Cherimoose.

I had discussed exercises for recovery with my GP and he had suggested IT band stretches.

Swimming would be out for safety reasons as when the acute pain hits I end up on the floor lol.
  • jusbowers
    Options
    Low impact exercise. Look up chris powells the workout on youtube it has 3 levels and many different alternate moves if you have knee hip issues. Slim in 6 is low impact too. Non jarring movements and walking. No jumping, jogging, jumping jacks etc. Lots of stretches!

Thanks Angel

I looked at Chris Powells the workout on youtube and unfortunately I cant even do the second warmup exercise lol.

I will look into them further when the bursitis swelling goes down and I can get some rotational movement in my hips though.

Jus
  • jusbowers
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    no rotation at all? can you do straightforward hinging type movements? maybe rowing?

Thanks Tomatoey

Rowing sounds ideal! I'll see if I can borrow a machine to see if I can cope with it!

Jus

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    yin yoga or water work not really swimming but stretching out in the water if you can and floating.