The Scale says...erm..different stuff!

Options
2»

Replies

• kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Toss the scale and take pictures.

That depresses me so bad I can barely stand it. haha I can't tell a difference at all. My boyfriend will say, "well you look a lot smaller in this one." I never can see it. Then I get super depressed,and my only interest is wishing I could crawl into a hole in the wall.=_= I have really severe body image issues.. ..haha
    Take the pics in the same cloths once a month. Crop it so you have no head. This can help trick the mind into looking at your body objectively.

Wow, that's really clever!
  • kckBxer396
    Options
    I found you a new scale...

stock-photo-yellow-tape-measure-on-rolled-up-on-white-background-77201539.jpg
    This made me laugh. A lot of posts seem to be about measurements. I took them once, a month ago. I suppose I should keep up with those more.
  • ScouseNerd
    ScouseNerd Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    The Weight Watchers scale is so far the most accurate I've ever used besides a doctor's. Only off by half a pound to a pound, depending on weight. I don't usually support digital scales but this was the best.
  • kckBxer396
    Options
    That is an awful lot of weighing.

Your weight fluctuates during the day, sometimes wildly. Just try to be consistent, use your home scale.

It's also time for you to focus on other measures of success than just the scale. Do your clothes fit better? If you are working out, have you had any increases in your performance?

The scale is just one measure of success, and it's not even the best one.

That's weighing over a span of a few weeks. While I was typing this post, I was really depressed that my clothes don't seem to be fitting any better. I was wearing a pair of shorts that are pretty loose on me,but 2 sizes bigger than what I normally wear (or so I thought). This morning, I notice that they ARE the size I normally wear and require a belt! I was so freaked out about my weight, that I didn't notice that I had gotten smaller,and,in my mind, I thought I looked bigger than ever...2 sizes smaller actually! =) guess I really shouldn't worry too much about the scales.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

This made me laugh. A lot of posts seem to be about measurements. I took them once, a month ago. I suppose I should keep up with those more.

Not that scales are useless, but the measurements you take are probably more helpful in determining what kind of progress you're making. Although I have to admit, I was lazy and just went by how my pants fit. When I got down to size 32, I knew I made it.
  • catbyrd
    catbyrd Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is weight first thing in the morning with no clothes on. Remember that at the doctors office especially, you will always weight more because you are fully clothed, plus shoes, and its normally after you have eaten or drank something. Your clothes are the best measurement.
  • Shadowcub
    Shadowcub Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm buying a bathroom scale so I can weight once a week, the same day and time of day each week, with as few clothes on as possible so that won't throw off the readings either. (I'd do monthly, but I know I'll still be dealing with water weight, etc. So weekly should average out better and show the trend.)

Second, last week I asked a friend to help me take the measurements MFP recommended (Neck, Waist & Hips), noticed I could add more, and he suggested Bicep and Calf. I'll get those taken around the first of every month and will hopefully see a downward trend there as well.

However you do it, just keep doing your best to keep losing to your goal and when people say you look slimmer, even if you don't see it yourself, say "Thank You" and accept that THEY see it for you.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well different scales and different times will give you a different weight every time. Heck my scale gives me a different weight in every room, lol.

But I've found that now it's in a spot where it's actually the same as the doctor and the gym, surprisingly. But yes it always sucks when you weight at the doctor and it's more :(
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options

^^^100% this...and taking progress photos. I have reached the point where progress photos haven't shown much change, so I started taking measurements last month. Seeing the inches melt away has been incredibly helpful and motivating--especially when the number on the scale isn't moving!