Lunch ideas for work?

Options
Hello!

So, I'm trying to start making my own lunches to take to work - I figure it's healthier, I know what's in my meal and it'll save me a couple bucks a day. I'm running out of ideas. I'm usually pretty tired when I get home and have barely enough energy to fit in a quick workout so I want to be able to make something quick & easy the night before.

What are some things you all make/take to work for lunch?

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• xabcdefgeee
    xabcdefgeee Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    bumpitty, bumpitty, bump :)
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hello!

So, I'm trying to start making my own lunches to take to work - I figure it's healthier, I know what's in my meal and it'll save me a couple bucks a day. I'm running out of ideas. I'm usually pretty tired when I get home and have barely enough energy to fit in a quick workout so I want to be able to make something quick & easy the night before.

What are some things you all make/take to work for lunch?

Thanks in advance :)

Don't cook it when you're tired, cook it in the morning when you're rested. Here's what I've been doing for the past couple of weeks:

cook breakfast. 2 scrambled eggs.
    Eat breakfast.

Then, using the same skillet, I'll cook up some meat (either beef,chicken, or pork) and vegetables. (onion, red pepper, garlic, celery, and sometimes tomato.) If you slice the meat into thin slices, it only takes a few minutes to cook.

I start by dicing all of my veggies. I start with onions, then add peppers a few minutes later, then celery last. I cut the meat while the vegetables are cooking. If I have tomatoes, I usually only add them at the very end, after the meat is almost done cooking.

Start to finish, I can do breakfast and lunch in about 20 minutes.

And I usually put the lunch into 2 pyrex containers. Take one to lunch today, and then one for lunch tomorrow. So, I'm only cooking lunch once every 2 days.

You can check my diary, I've been logging for a month or so. I use about 200g of meat, and about 1 cup of veggies per meal.
  • itsjosiebitch
    itsjosiebitch Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Use whole grain bread, natural peanut butter, (I've heard good things about almond butter) and sugar free jelly. 1 tbs of PB is about 100 calories and the sugar free jelly is about 10 calories.

The peanut butter has good healthy fats and its filling and delicious.

Take some baby carrots for a side.

If you drink some milk with it (unsweetened almond milk is my fav) you'll be getting practically every food group :bigsmile:
  • xabcdefgeee
    xabcdefgeee Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    @moondawg14 - Thanks! Yea, maybe it's a better idea to just get up a little bit earlier and make lunch then so I'm not so tired. I've done the veggie an chicken thing a couple times and experiment with spices - usually for dinner but maybe it'd be quick for lunch also. I'll definitely be trying that Monday morning :)

@itsjosie***** - That's true, you get it all in one! Plus it's super easy for my REALLY lazy days. I think I'll just bring those things to work so I don't have to worry about it in the morning and just make the sandwich during lunch if I haven't made anything else.

Thank you both :)

ETA: LOL it doesn't like your user name apparently.
  • AlisalGal
    AlisalGal Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Soup! At least 3 out of 5 working days I have soup... sometimes if I have my $$it together, homemade soup but usually Progresso, Campbells Lite or a Trader Joe's soup.
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Low carb tortilla wraps + vegies + diced chicken or tuna + feta cheese
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I make my protein at the beginning of the week. So, Ill grill some chicken breasts or turkey burgers or brown some ground turkey. I portion out 4oz each into 5 tupperware containers. Then I'll add a green veggie like asparagus, brussel sprouts, or cooked kale with the chicken breasts/turkey burger and Ill mix the ground turkey with spinach, onion, green pepper and salsa to make a taco salad. If you want, you can add a carb like a sweet potato or a tortilla shell. Then I have all my meals for the week. Hope this helps!! ;)
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Chicken Wraps or Soup
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I take a ham sandwich (on a thin bun, a little mayo, lettuce & tomato if I have it) along with an orange & a yogurt. On my "lazy days" I take a Lean Cusine along with my yogurt & orange.
  • somanyrhoades
    somanyrhoades Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Make stuff beforehand and take it with you. I only spend about 10 minutes or so making my actual lunch because i do a lot of the prep work before hand. I will make a bunch of grilled or baked chicken at once so I have it on hand. I also have beans made at all times so I can throw either of those things in a salad or wrap. Lately I have been bringing plain yogurt with cinnamon and dicing an apple up at work to throw in it. I keep a sharp knife in my lunch bag at all times so I know I can always cut things up at work if I don't have time to do it before hand. i also keep a box of cereal and almond milk in the fridge at work so I always have that as a go-to if I don't feel like bringing anything. Fresh fruit is always easy to grab too!

edited to add nuts (almonds are my personal fave)
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I almost always take a salad. I don't like boring salads so what I have on them varies a ton. Lately, though, I've been buying these little mini vegie trays in the deli area of the store. They are 220-320 cals depending on which one you get. My favorite one has broccoli, carrots, ranch dip, almonds, and a cheese slice. There are other ones. They cost less than two dollars at my store. I also take fruits because they are fast and easy.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    We do a couple of things at my place. We make large enough dinners that there are always leftovers to choose from on subsequent days, and we also may cook a couple of things on Sunday for lunches.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Dinner left-overs: I make a bit too much and freeze the remainder in lunch sized portions.
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been making a big batch of some sort of noodle/grain/bean salad on Sunday and portioning it out into 2-cup containers to eat for lunch through the week. I'll usually throw it on a few cups of lettuce/arugula/whatever leafy stuff is in the house. Then I may add in some hummus and crackers, fruit (again, whatever is in the fridge and needs to be eaten).
  • bebe2454
    bebe2454 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • p0kers0ph
    p0kers0ph Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Wholemeal bagel with light cream cheese & salmon. Chicken salad. Houmous with carrot sticks.