Any Binge Eaters out there?

Options
Ever since I was a kid, I've dealt with binge eating. I learned to deal with stress as a child by wanting to be alone and eat large amounts of food. It wasn't such a problem growing up because I was slightly chubby not overweight, and I've yo-yoed with my weight a lot, where I always bounce back to a good weight. But as an adult in my mid to late twenties it's not so easy. Recently it's been really tough with stress for me, it's coming at me from everywhere and I just binged really bad, and every time after, I ask myself, why I do this to myself? and I'll make excuses to myself that I deserve to before I even do it. Does anyone deal with this? I've gone to a couple OA meetings and at the time it helped get me on track where I didn't need to go to meetings anymore, that I could take what I had learned with me. Lately I've been seeing ads for vynase and that binge eating is a disease, I don't know what I'd call binge eating except a problem for me. It doesn't control my life, it's like an outlet if anything, a destructive one because I'm now trying to lose weight, I signed up for a weight loss program, 5k, etc. When I come home though from a stressful day, I will binge, and than morning and lunch I restrict myself completely, and then it just starts all over again for the past couple of weeks. Any tips anyone could give me if they struggle with this issue would be great.

Replies

• LivingDeadDad
    LivingDeadDad Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I had to hit rock bottom. I wish I had an easier answer than just stop. I could not stop until I was recently in the hospital with lung failure. I was dying all because of my weight.
    I determined at that point I would be in control. It has not been easy. Every hour of every day I want to shove burgers or snacks into my mouth but I don't. I have slipped, but as soon as o did, I forgave myself because guilt is why we binge. If I remove guilt, it's easier. I also think about my youngest. It's going to be hard enough to see her turn 40 as I will be nearly 80 and I have added to it through poor choices.
    Finally, when you feel the urge, reach out to someone. Feel free to reach out to me and we will talk each other of the ledge.
    One thing I promise is that it does get easier and better.
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It's because of the restriction you're doing.... It's a neverending cycle. I was (and still on occasion) a binge eater. The best thing you can do is give up dieting, give up restricting, give up labeling foods as "good" or "bad.." Listen to your body and if you're craving something, eat it! Focus on your hunger and fullness. When you feel satiated (about a 7 on a scale of 1-10, 10 being absolutely stuffed), then put the food away. Find another activity to do that will take your mind off food. Drinking tea after a meal is also something I find very satisfying. Is there anything else you think you can do after a stressful day that will help you relax besides eat?

Also, I HIGHLY recomment the book "Intuitive Eating" by Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch. It has helped me tremendously in overcoming my binge eating (for the most part, it's still a work in progress :smile: )
  • fellicitya
    Options
    Hi reichell11 - I imagine there are a lot of us on here. :smile: I've recently accepted the fact that I am addicted to food, and I'm hopeful that using MFP will help me stay on top of the problem. I've thought about going to OA meetings - Has anyone here had luck with them?
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Binge eating disorder is now officially listed as a psychiatric disorder so treatment is now widely covered under insurance. Look into this. You don't have to treat it yourself anymore
  • tretoptreece
    tretoptreece Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I had to hit rock bottom. I wish I had an easier answer than just stop. I could not stop until I was recently in the hospital with lung failure. I was dying all because of my weight.
    I determined at that point I would be in control. It has not been easy. Every hour of every day I want to shove burgers or snacks into my mouth but I don't. I have slipped, but as soon as o did, I forgave myself because guilt is why we binge. If I remove guilt, it's easier. I also think about my youngest. It's going to be hard enough to see her turn 40 as I will be nearly 80 and I have added to it through poor choices.
    Finally, when you feel the urge, reach out to someone. Feel free to reach out to me and we will talk each other of the ledge.
    One thing I promise is that it does get easier and better.

That was very moving and inspirational!!
  • Misshelgeson
    Misshelgeson Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Well at least I'm in good company I binge on chocolate the whole family size bag of peanut m&ms or chocolate covered almonds king size candy bar what have you I can't have it in the house and avoid the aisle in the store. when I'm working out I start thinking how hard I had to workout just to work off my English muffin I used chocolate as a reward I deserve it etc but I have to think differently like wouldn't a smaller size be a better reward
  • NotQuiteNorm
    NotQuiteNorm Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    7337487_orig.gif

I am even an offender of the 'taking a bite out of a stick of butter' type moves. I have found that although I still have moments of weakness, my way of taking control is by having a small 150 or less calorie treat between 8pm and my bed time, and a small drink of milk right before bed. My binges were usually at the time and almost always sugary and chocolatey food. 20kcal> Ice lollies help.

I also try to eat a lot of low calorie versions of comfort foods - loads of veg (like broccoli, peas, carrots, cauliflower) about 1 cup of frozen mash (it's little tubes), a small amount of meat, 1tbsp gravy granules and 1-2stock cubes goes a long way as a hotpot and I think honestly has saved me from a lot of the cravings I had prior to eating these things.

It may be dumb, but I eat mostly warm meals - in a hurry I have a 'Kerry Low Low' micro-meal over a cold salad nowadays and I honestly think it has made a difference.

And lastly - I only stock low calorie versions of treats and snack foods so that when I have binged I end up eating less. Like 80-90 calorie multigrain crisps instead of 100-150 (or more), about 3-4 bananas worth of 100% banana ice cream (you can add cocoa too yummy) instead of a generic tub which may hold 800+ calories! If you're going to go, you might as well go low - or at least lower than you might have gone!
  • zeeee
    zeeee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been going to OA for years and have found that its the only program that's ever worked for me long term. I'm absolutely a compulsive overeater and I am just like an alcoholic, but with food. No matter how much I needed to, or wanted to control my food, I just could not. I tried ever diet (starting at diet pill prescribed by my family doctor when I was 8 years old), to many attempts at Weight Watchers (which I think is a really sane and reasonable way to eat for most people), to fen/phen (which worked great until they said it would kill me, dang it), to gastric bypass surgery (which worked until I ate through the benefits and gained nearly all the 125 pounds I lost back). I simply could not put the food down no matter what. I needed a fricking miracle.

I've been abstaining from sugar and bingeing for almost 6 years and have lost 150 pounds from my highest weight (333 pounds before surgery). I work my OA program consistently and use My Fitness Pal for my food plan. It works for me.