I thought of a CLEVER MFP motivation idea!

Options
Go into a day in the past you did not log into. For every food item you resisted to eat, log it in and the calories will build up fast. This helps me further prevent myself from eating bad foods and rewards me with a reminder by the big number of calories I refused to eat. I'm probably not the first to think of this, but I just HAD to tell everybody!!

Replies

• TammyToes03
    TammyToes03 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I do something simluar. I put in a few choices that I'm debating on to see the results before I choose because I'm still struggling to understand what is good choices. Like today I go shopping and I don't know if I should buy bread at all. Maybe whole grain ir wheat or go I skip it and get tortilla or flat bread? I just don't know. Lol
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    but then you're averages for the month are off ? the nerd in me would not be happy.
  • SweetSiJ
    SweetSiJ Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Great idea! I agree with JoRocka though. I want my numbers to be as accurate as possible. But I should definitely try what Tammy is doing and plug food in ahead of time to see how it would affect my calories.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think she means an earlier month. Like I started logging in March 2014, so I could go back to February 2014.

Cool idea.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    but then you're averages for the month are off ? the nerd in me would not be happy.

me too... I enjoy analyzing my data, it gives me a weird high.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I think she means an earlier month. Like I started logging in March 2014, so I could go back to February 2014.

Cool idea.

yeah but I track averages monthly- and then across the board for seasons, i.e. bulking/cutting etc. The whole reason we use data is to get information- if you aren't entering accurate data- you aren't going to get accurate information.

This whole process- as you get more specific is very trial and error- and it's like steering a boat- you can't just set it on auto piolet- even though you can't see your destination- you have to follow the guide and make tiny corrections on the way. The data allows you to make those adjustments.

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't want my data messed up either. An alternative would be to log it all, snap a screenshot, and then delete it from the diary. That way the data is out of the diary but the reminder is still there.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    What? My data would be off. No thanks.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I often just use the food database when tempted, just to see how many calories are in something I'm craving. And then balancing it against how many minutes of exercise I'd need to burn it off.

I'm a data nerd, too, so the thought of skewing anything with false data makes the hairs on my arms stand up. But if helps you stay motivated, go for it!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Although, I guess if you're picking a day that was not logged-the data is not correct anyway. Still. No likey.
  • TammyToes03
    TammyToes03 Posts: 96 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Well I don't think it throws it off for me. I just search different item to see the calorie but I don't summit it. I did summit and delete once maybe I'll not do that anymore
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Cool idea.

yeah but I track averages monthly- and then across the board for seasons, i.e. bulking/cutting etc. The whole reason we use data is to get information- if you aren't entering accurate data- you aren't going to get accurate information.

This whole process- as you get more specific is very trial and error- and it's like steering a boat- you can't just set it on auto piolet- even though you can't see your destination- you have to follow the guide and make tiny corrections on the way. The data allows you to make those adjustments.

I'm assuming outside the period that one tracks--I could in theory still start with my starting date and compare, since I simply don't have numbers from before then anyway (from 2/2014, for example). It would be an issue only if you wanted to compare one February to another, which I don't, although some people might.

So for me it would have no bearing on the numbers I look at (as it's a period for which I have no information and is too long ago). I don't disagree that accurate information matters or that adjustments will be necessary.

I can see it being different if you have a longer time tracking at closer to a maintenance weight.
  • JoRocka
    Options

Cool idea.

I'm assuming outside the period that one tracks--I could in theory still start with my starting date and compare, since I simply don't have numbers from before then anyway (from 2/2014, for example). It would be an issue only if you wanted to compare one February to another, which I don't, although some people might.

So for me it would have no bearing on the numbers I look at (as it's a period for which I have no information and is too long ago). I don't disagree that accurate information matters or that adjustments will be necessary.

I can see it being different if you have a longer time tracking at closer to a maintenance weight.

agreed- would just depend on the day you use- also I mean if you pick a certain day and always go back to that specific date- you could mentally note to disregard the date from that day.

I prefer the idea of logging then deleting- as I do that regularly anyway on a daily basis to see if I can make it work- or it's going to really bogart my macro needs.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    That's a cool idea! I could see how it could screw up your data, unless MFP will let you go back and log a day before you even joined.
    I left when I hit goal weight and came back 2 years later when I started to regain a little, so I have a long window where I could log and if I were looking at the data, I'd know to ignore anything during that time.

Maybe someone should put in a feature request with MFP to allow a few "dummy days" that wouldn't be included in our long-term data. It would totally be motivating to me to log food I turned down!
  • Feeltheburn808
    Feeltheburn808 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I meant by past as in way earlier I should have specified. But looking at some comments I think taking screen shots then deleting it would be better. Also, I agree it would be sweet if MFP had a place to plug in foods we resisted and watch them accumulate.
  • Treasonous
    Treasonous Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    We all like to log and track our numbers. It gives a sense of understanding and control. But to get additional understanding, and ultimate control, sometimes you have to get a bit messy. I like the idea of doing this for a day or two, full on, and then going back on track. You can seal, then erase your diary if need be, but YOU'LL have gained the insights.