Is 10 lbs. a month too much weight loss?

Options
I'm eating healthy and I'm exercising an hour every day. I probably should do less cardio and more strength training at this point but I had a "take one thing at a time" attitude to this so far. I'm losing about 10 lbs a month doing it this way. Is that too much? I started at 250 and now I'm at 210.

Replies

• Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right.
    Does your loss match the calorie deficit you have set for yourself ?
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's too much. Maybe a little high now that your under 100kg.

I wouldn't try to increase your weight loss. Maybe set mfp to 1pound or what ever the next setting is down from where you have it.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    id say its fine. as u get closer to your goal it will likely slow down.
  • bloated_fatty
    bloated_fatty Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    Sounds about right.
    Does your loss match the calorie deficit you have set for yourself ?

I'll have to figure this out. Good point.
    Merkavar wrote: »
    I don't think that's too much. Maybe a little high now that your under 100kg.

I wouldn't try to increase your weight loss. Maybe set mfp to 1pound or what ever the next setting is down from where you have it.

Yeah I'm going to focus maybe on a shorter cardio session and then start working the other parts of the gym more and doing more strength training. I'm not too eager to lose it all at once - I do realize that permanent weight loss is a long game, not a short one.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Start resistance training yesterday.

How tall are you? Your profile says male. Unless you're a shorty (meant in a non-disparaging way), you probably need to throttle it back a bit in the near future. I tend to be a bit more aggressive in terms of weight loss targets than a lot of people on MFP, and don't think 10 lbs a month is too much, especially when starting with a lot of fat to lose. (Someone will post a chart that says x pounds to lose - do up to 2 lbs; y pounds to lose, do up to 1.5 lbs etc.; that's fine advice if you want to take it, but I think it is more conservative than necessary).

However, with aggressive deficits and with little or less regular resistance training, you're likely to be losing more lean mass (including muscle) than you need to. It's hard as *kitten* to add it back, and I would strongly urge you to add in regular resistance training ASAP, make sure you're getting enough protein, and be prepared to throttle back the weekly deficit as you get closer to goal. I try not to lose more than 1% of body weight per week when I am cutting, less so as I get leaner / closer to goal (and I'm not talking super lean, like in single digit bf% - I throttle it back when I get under 14 - 15%). And that's easy to do, since food and drink is awesome.

ETA: Typing that lengthy reply and others have said it more concisely.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound like too much, especially when you're starting out and have made a big change. Just don't be surprised or disheartened if it starts to slow down, it tends to the longer you are at it, and the less you have to lose :)
  • vchan000
    vchan000 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Our weight loss numbers are pretty similar. In five months I've lost 50lbs, but the progression looks kinda like this. Month 1: 20lbs, Month 2: 7lbs Month 3: 10lbs, Month 4: 6lbs Month 5: 6lbs. Month 2 involved Christmas. It'll slow down. If your weight loss goes much above 1% of your current body mass a week I'd be more concerned.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Over the long haul refining your program to the point where your actions meet your goals can be more rewarding then just the sum of how many pounds you have lost as you will know that you have ability to control your destiny.
  • bloated_fatty
    bloated_fatty Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »
    Start resistance training yesterday.

How tall are you? Your profile says male. Unless you're a shorty (meant in a non-disparaging way), you probably need to throttle it back a bit in the near future. I tend to be a bit more aggressive in terms of weight loss targets than a lot of people on MFP, and don't think 10 lbs a month is too much, especially when starting with a lot of fat to lose. (Someone will post a chart that says x pounds to lose - do up to 2 lbs; y pounds to lose, do up to 1.5 lbs etc.; that's fine advice if you want to take it, but I think it is more conservative than necessary).

However, with aggressive deficits and with little or less regular resistance training, you're likely to be losing more lean mass (including muscle) than you need to. It's hard as *kitten* to add it back, and I would strongly urge you to add in regular resistance training ASAP, make sure you're getting enough protein, and be prepared to throttle back the weekly deficit as you get closer to goal. I try not to lose more than 1% of body weight per week when I am cutting, less so as I get leaner / closer to goal (and I'm not talking super lean, like in single digit bf% - I throttle it back when I get under 14 - 15%). And that's easy to do, since food and drink is awesome.

ETA: Typing that lengthy reply and others have said it more concisely.

I appreciate it regardless. My view of it was I wanted to get used to going to the gym at least 4 times a week, and I didn't want to overwhelm myself too much by learning all the machines so I mostly hugged the cardio. But I think that yes, at this point I gotta be switching to a more overall workout session and integrating more machines.

I'm not short, and I don't know if it matters but I never had a lot of muscle mass to begin with. I was a string bean that got really big. It was all pretty much in my gut too and almost nowhere else. I'm not getting any saggy skin or anything, but I do want to transfer to doing a more overall muscle mass to build a body that can burn more.

Thanks for the thoughts.
    Doesn't sound like too much, especially when you're starting out and have made a big change. Just don't be surprised or disheartened if it starts to slow down, it tends to the longer you are at it, and the less you have to lose :)

Honestly I'd be fine at just 200. If it never got any lower than that I'd be happy. I'd like to work to get out of the overweight zone but at this point I'm just glad not to be obese anymore.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I was about 253lbs at first and lost 15.2lbs in Jan, 18.9lbs in Feb and 13.6lbs in March. It's slowing down now.
  • kathysanders373
    kathysanders373 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm kathy I was 140 working out and found out I had hyperthyroidism / graves disease I went on medication to normalized the thyroid l gained 30 p in 2 mos with this sickness now I drink vodka 8 shots and lemon aid no high fructose in lemonade so any way off meds now so l do beach body 7 days a week now lost only
    6pounds. But still drink my vodka.
    I was working out at any time fitness since 2009.but I like being home doing beach body 21 day fix ok kathy. ...

ETA: Typing that lengthy reply and others have said it more concisely. [/quote]

I appreciate it regardless. My view of it was I wanted to get used to going to the gym at least 4 times a week, and I didn't want to overwhelm myself too much by learning all the machines so I mostly hugged the cardio. But I think that yes, at this point I gotta be switching to a more overall workout session and integrating more machines.

I'm not short, and I don't know if it matters but I never had a lot of muscle mass to begin with. I was a string bean that got really big. It was all pretty much in my gut too and almost nowhere else. I'm not getting any saggy skin or anything, but I do want to transfer to doing a more overall muscle mass to build a body that can burn more.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Honestly I'd be fine at just 200. If it never got any lower than that I'd be happy. I'd like to work to get out of the overweight zone but at this point I'm just glad not to be obese anymore.[/quote]
    minties82 wrote: »
    I was about 253lbs at first and lost 15.2lbs in Jan, 18.9lbs in Feb and 13.6lbs in March. It's slowing down now.