What do you eat while hiking?

Hey, MFP! In two weeks I will be going to the mountains to hike for a few days. Our hikes will be split into approximately five hour there and back trails. I normally wouldn't worry about it because I used to eat whenever I felt hungry in the past, but now that I am actively losing weight, I don't want to overshoot or undershoot calories by too much. I will be eating regular meals before and after the hikes, and aiming to reach my daily calorie goal (1450 before exercise) through these regular meals.

(1) I am looking for ideas on what sort of snacks to bring.
(2) Links to any calculators that give a somewhat accurate picture of calories burned on a hike (I have gotten lots of different answers from different calculators).
(3) Tips on how to calculate how much food to bring to fuel my hike.

Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,474 Member
    When I cycle or hike, I bring one or two of these ...
    http://www.tasti.co.nz/products/nut-bars

I especially like the Choc Apricot Coconut & Cashew which is about 185 calories per bar.

Walking I estimate approx. 180-200 calories per hour burned. If you're hiking in hilly terrain, it might be a bit more. So, you could probably go with one bar every 2 hours and be OK.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    I usually bring along an apple or two and a handful of granola bars (between 150-200 calories each), though I don't consume them all. If I'm out for a few hours, I'll have an apple and a bar and then eat a meal after the hike. I just never know how long I'm going to be hiking for, so I bring along enough so that if I end up out all day (8+ hours), I have enough snacks to keep me going until I return home.

As for what you'll burn, it's very dependent on terrain and how much you're carrying around. A flat trail is just like walking on sidewalks and a 3 mph pace should burn around 200 calories an hour. If you have steep terrain or are going cross country (no trails), that will really get your heart rate up and burn quite a bit more. Even though it isn't perfect, wearing a heart rate monitor while hiking will give you a good idea of how many calories you've burned (I deduct 20% of the total to account for the HRM being inaccurate).
  • sclause
    sclause Posts: 86 Member
    Fruit like bananas and apples, banana chips, almonds are a great choice. lol I remember being a kid hiking in Yosemite and we had that awful cheese in a can! Jerky if you eat meat, but be careful as its calorie dense, but good as it provides protein and is light weight to carry.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited April 2015
    For day hikes I carry Nature Valley trail mix bars

An option if a lunch stop is planned; some bread and Starkist tuna salad pouches. Squeeze the pouch onto the bread and you have a tuna salad sandwich.
  • sup3rb3ast
    sup3rb3ast Posts: 73 Member
    These are all excellent suggestions, thank you every one!

It definitely seems like the calorie burn is going to be a shaky estimate, so I will try not to worry about it and just have fun. B)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Also most importantly don't forget to bring plenty of water.
  • eeelizabeth2012
    eeelizabeth2012 Posts: 132 Member
    For hikes I tend to pack:
    Whole wheat sandwiches (usually ham)
    Fruit (apples, oranges, etc)
    Nuts
    Veggies for snacks
    Maybe granola type bars

Make sure you eat enough for the amount of hiking you will be doing and stay hydrated.

I have a Fitbit which is useful because it calculates my calories burned based on ho wmany steps and how quick my steps are. That would be ideal for your hike... but someone up above posted something that seems good too. If you pack enough small meals for each day you are hiking and pack lots of snacks for in between, you should be okay. That is what I do.
  • sup3rb3ast
    I have a Fitbit which is useful because it calculates my calories burned based on ho wmany steps and how quick my steps are. That would be ideal for your hike... but someone up above posted something that seems good too. If you pack enough small meals for each day you are hiking and pack lots of snacks for in between, you should be okay. That is what I do.
    Even though it isn't perfect, wearing a heart rate monitor while hiking will give you a good idea of how many calories you've burned (I deduct 20% of the total to account for the HRM being inaccurate).

I can't believe I didn't think of those. Good idea. I would be able to track my calories and have better estimates for future hikes.

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    I have no suggestions - my main problem with hiking is it makes me so hungry I eat way over my calories!! It is hard! I went hiking last weekend - ate at least all the calories I burned while hiking during the hike and then ate more the rest of the day. :( Glad OP asked the question so I can get some good ideas on how to stop this issue!
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Seeds and nuts give me energy and keep me full. I have a sunflower seed and pumpkin seed mix I buy lately that I love.... Almonds or cashews are good too. Jerky and fruit is great too.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    I am also super hungry on hikes but I also burn a lot of calories...It is probably the only time I splurge on a sandwich on a dense chiabatta roll. My favorite is Turkey, Thinly sliced apples and Brie. I'll also take sliced apples, or something crunch and a lot of water! I usually will eat half the sandwich a couple of hours in and then the other half a couple of hours later.

Enjoy your hike!
  • sup3rb3ast
    suruda wrote: »
    .It is probably the only time I splurge on a sandwich on a dense chiabatta roll. My favorite is Turkey, Thinly sliced apples and Brie.

That sandwich sounds amazing! I also love ciabatta but haven't had any since I started counting calories. I love your attitude though, the hiking will burn so many calories that I may just eat something delicious I would normally abstain from. Yum!

• sup3rb3ast
    Seeds and nuts give me energy and keep me full. I have a sunflower seed and pumpkin seed mix I buy lately that I love.... Almonds or cashews are good too. Jerky and fruit is great too.

Yummy suggestions! I was thinking of a homemade trail mix with similar ingredients but I am worried that the calories will be really high, and difficult to calculate/portion in a mix. I suppose I could just weigh and portion the night before. I have never had jerky weirdly enough. Any suggestions for brands or flavors?
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Nuts, granola bars, I'm partial to oranges because once when a couple of us went for a hike we decided to go the next longest route without planning ahead of time and we didn't realize how much longer it was than the other route. I had 1 orange left from our snacks and we'd all pretty much run out of water. We split the orange and managed to finish the rest of that hike, I don't know if we would have had the energy otherwise :sweat_smile:

As for jerky, I like it all!
  • ipastorsally
    ipastorsally Posts: 28 Member
    I don't eat on hikes. I take water. I try to hold meals to meal times. High protein will give you energy and is light weight. Things like nuts or cheese. I tend to forage on hikes and eat wild berries, honey suckle, raw asparagus, etc.
  • AntsyAngler
    AntsyAngler Posts: 58 Member
    Great topic! I want to go for a three day backpacking trip and make my own food to bring along. I plan on making oatmeal peanut butter cookies with flax and chia seeds and almond flour mixed in. Jerky. Carrots, onions, sweet potatoes, Mixed dried fruit bars with nuts. I am looking for more ideas...
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Trail mix? I always grew up thinking that was what it was made for :P I remember getting so excited as a kid for making up the mix before heading out for week long camping trips involving trail after trail. Even now I save it for special day trips or hikes (kind of like saving gingerbread for Christmas).

I pick my favourite nuts/seeds and dried fruit and sometimes cacao or chocolate chips/m&m's and throw in some mini marshmallows in the kids. Its great to snack on the go or stop and have a little baggie and usually has a great macro break up for active days :)
  • rok1897
    rok1897 Posts: 1 Member
    water drinking is the most important! If heat may be an issue i carry a packet of electrolyte mixture.

I carry an orange or apple for quick energy, a mixture of raisins, peanuts and pretzels for lightweight food(longer hikes).
  • sup3rb3ast
    edited April 2015
    Obviously, I am packing lots of water, guys! I did the math and trail mix is going to end up being too many calories for me, especially since its so delicious. :'(:'(:'( I ended up getting protein bars, as they are nice and small and the calories are manageable. Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. Feel free to keep adding to the list! This is what we got for this weekend, I might do homemade bars for the next trip:

2m3hdhg.jpg
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Dried fruit! Homemade granola and trail mix (to control the calories!) Soy nuts, roasted chick peas.