Am I constipated? (caution Tmi)

Options
uvi5
uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
I'm on my 18th day, straight now, finally. (But been on Mfp since mid Feb, this year as well as last year for a month or so) I have learned so much (this time around on Mfp) and am still learning. Here's what my concern is now (my diary is open).

I have really pumped up my workouts up to or over 2 hours a day (loving it btw). I have so much energy and am loving food even more knowing what I'm eating and having no need to overfill myself..etc. I have just recently upped my calorie intake to 1420/day per recommendation mfp (after filling in my info). I am set to "sedentary" and add my workouts. I am also just starting to learn about eating back a portion of my exercise calories. I eat loads of protein, veg, fresh fruit, some bread, rice or small amounts of pasta what ever fits my calorie goals, satisfies me + some (just recently) exercise calories..etc, but I have not passed in over 72 + hours (a very small amount 3 days ago very loose.. omg I can't believe i'm asking this :blush: ).

I have been taking a fiber laxative for the past 2.5 days and still no go. I do not feel overly full or uncomfortable, but normally pass daily.

I just started in mid February to drop a 20 + weight gain starting November of last year. I am now starting to feel like i'm getting this right for me, but don't understand this part. In particularly because I eat so much fresh veg and fruit. Is my body just adjusting to changes in diet and more exercise than I've had in years? I was always active up until the end of last year, but had not worked out this much or consistently till the last 17 days and I'm hooked on it, love it. I would also think the exercise would actually help in getting the ol' pipes moving ...hmm.... Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Well, if you are working out 2 hours+ a day and not eating back your exercise calories, plus keeping your calories at or below 1420, you don't have a lot to pass every day. Your net is what? 800-900 calories?
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Do you get enough fat in your diet to grease the track?

It just may be your body doesn't have as much waste because you don't eat as much as you used to.

For me things dropped to every 2-3 days.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    It can be 2-3 days for me and I don't feel uncomfortable or anything either. My calorie intake is 1280+ exercise calories. I used to be daily also.

Others may have some better advice for how to get things moving, but I've heard having something like a serving of nuts can help if just fiber isn't doing the job. Apparently too much fiber can clog the pipes, if you will, and you need some healthy fats to get things moving.

~Lyssa
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Do you have a doctor? I might give her or him a call just to get a professional opinion and rule out something serious. Beyond that, sometimes fiber alone isn't enough, though I see you're drinking a good bit of coffee, and that often helps with the go. If you're exercising and sweating a lot, and not drinking enough fluids, you could possibly be a little dehydrated, which can cause constipation. Hope you get some relief!
  • uvi5
    Options
    Well, if you are working out 2 hours+ a day and not eating back your exercise calories, plus keeping your calories at or below 1420, you don't have a lot to pass every day. Your net is what? 800-900 calories?

ohhh, now I'm starting to get the "eating back" some exercise calories. Cool, but still wrapping my head around it. Almost seems too good to be true. I ate back 1/2 of them yesterday and feel real energized for workouts today.
  • mariannehgv
    mariannehgv Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I second the fat comment: you're likely to not eat enough fat when you're dieting.

Also, I once read that lots of fibers can bulk up and make you more constipated, so perhaps adding fibers to your diet prevents constipation, but it might not work as a "cure" when it's already happened.

Some people swear by coffee, plums or lower belly massages.
  • uvi5
    Options
    uvi5 wrote: »

ohhh, now I'm starting to get the "eating back" some exercise calories. Cool, but still wrapping my head around it. Almost seems too good to be true. I ate back 1/2 of them yesterday and feel real energized for workouts today.
    Here's my "net" calories for the last 17 days. I have todays meal plan prelogged, but incomplete (not sure what to add yet for the last meal) The first meal is large, but will most likely split up into 2 meals.

awd2vz56djh6.jpg

All so fascinating and I'm learning so much. Thank you for your input and advice!

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Why 2 hrs+/day, seems excessive, unless you are training for some endurance event.

I would suggest getting enough water, and fat. Fiber is great but you need to ensure you have enough water for it to work, and fat to help lubricate the digestive tract to help fiber do its thing. Without enough fat and water fiber will cause constipation and bloating.

How much fat do you eat?
  • macgurlnet
    Options
    Being so low on net calories is probably why things have slowed down - I read a thread here from someone that would only go twice a week!

I also think you need to make sure you've got enough fat & water going in each day - and a call to your doctor wouldn't hurt if that doesn't help in the next day or so.

~Lyssa
  • uvi5
    Options

It just may be your body doesn't have as much waste because you don't eat as much as you used to.

I have a Tbs of full fat mayo when I make my sandwiches or mix into veg, most meat is pretty lean, but there is some fat in it. I did not think of this. I am only having less fat, because of calorie goals. It was just yesterday that I had 3 slices of full fat cheese and 2 Tbs mayo on my sandwich, for the first time in the last 2 + weeks. Also, the eating less (does not feel like it though) I get a lot of food with what I create for meals. But, it is actually less, much less than the months since last November. Cool thanks, need to up a bit more fat to "grease the track" Oh my, no one is going to want breakfast after this thread.....

• daisyverma
    daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Try adding avocado to your diet..its healthy and has good fat..when eaten in moderation of course
  • uvi5
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    It can be 2-3 days for me and I don't feel uncomfortable or anything either. My calorie intake is 1280+ exercise calories. I used to be daily also.

Others may have some better advice for how to get things moving, but I've heard having something like a serving of nuts can help if just fiber isn't doing the job. Apparently too much fiber can clog the pipes, if you will, and you need some healthy fats to get things moving.

~Lyssa
    Glad to see this is normal for most. Just kinda weird when I was used to "everyday hallelujah" moments ha ha.
  • xesixb
    xesixb Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have been constipated longer than I can remember. Things that seem to work for me are beans, dates, okra, plum juice, persimmons (the best natural laxative) and when I haven't flushed the toilet for more than a week epsom salts. Drink lots of water and don't be afraid of olive oil.
  • uvi5
    Options
    Do you have a doctor? I might give her or him a call just to get a professional opinion and rule out something serious. Beyond that, sometimes fiber alone isn't enough, though I see you're drinking a good bit of coffee, and that often helps with the go. If you're exercising and sweating a lot, and not drinking enough fluids, you could possibly be a little dehydrated, which can cause constipation. Hope you get some relief!

I was thinking about making an appointment with my Doc, but it could be a month before I actually get an appointment. But, I'm not in pain by any means. So, I don't feel like I need to go to urgent care or at least not yet ha ha, oooh scary lol. Water, well I am (on most days getting 8, 8 ounce glasses). I will go for 10 today. Thanks this could be playing a part in it. Did not think of this either.
  • uvi5
    Options
    daisyverma wrote: »
    Try adding avocado to your diet..its healthy and has good fat..when eaten in moderation of course
    Will add to next months shopping list. Would make a great avocado, sour cream n' salsa dip for cucumbers! Thanks great idea
  • uvi5
    Options
    I second the fat comment: you're likely to not eat enough fat when you're dieting.

Also, I once read that lots of fibers can bulk up and make you more constipated, so perhaps adding fibers to your diet prevents constipation, but it might not work as a "cure" when it's already happened.

Good point. I just took more fiber supplement before I wrote this. I may lay off of then for the rest of the day and try some of these other tips. Prunes, i do like them and can add chopped up to yogurt. Thanks

• never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options

I have a Tbs of full fat mayo when I make my sandwiches or mix into veg, most meat is pretty lean, but there is some fat in it. I did not think of this. I am only having less fat, because of calorie goals. It was just yesterday that I had 3 slices of full fat cheese and 2 Tbs mayo on my sandwich, for the first time in the last 2 + weeks. Also, the eating less (does not feel like it though) I get a lot of food with what I create for meals. But, it is actually less, much less than the months since last November. Cool thanks, need to up a bit more fat to "grease the track" Oh my, no one is going to want breakfast after this thread.....

I find if I get less than 40g of fat for 2 or 3days in a row it starts messing with my regularity pretty badly.

TMI alert
    [if you are eating do not read!!!]

I have warned you

It has gotten to the point to having what is called impacted bowels. The first time it happened I had to have the Dr manually clear the way.... :rage:

After, and before I found my min fat needs, I did it myself a few times. It is not comfortable and just gross!!! :cry:
  • macgurlnet
    Options

Good point. I just took more fiber supplement before I wrote this. I may lay off of then for the rest of the day and try some of these other tips. Prunes, i do like them and can add chopped up to yogurt. Thanks

I sometimes do 1 extra fiber thing if it's been 2 days and nothing much has happened ( a fiber bar or something similar) and if that doesn't do anything, I turn to water and healthy fats, and try to lay off soda if I've been having more than usual as it can leave me feeling dehydrated.

Roast some veggies in some olive oil. Pick up some greek yogurt with fat the next time you're at the store - I've seen some that are 2% milkfat and they're yummy. It's worth the slightly higher calories to get the fat!

Funny how fat doesn't make us fat :)

~Lyssa
  • uvi5
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    Why 2 hrs+/day, seems excessive, unless you are training for some endurance event.

I would suggest getting enough water, and fat. Fiber is great but you need to ensure you have enough water for it to work, and fat to help lubricate the digestive tract to help fiber do its thing. Without enough fat and water fiber will cause constipation and bloating.

How much fat do you eat?

I am retired, so don't work like I used to. I was a waitress for most of my adult life, then after college worked at a desk for almost 6 years up until 2006. I love my hobbies, but I have not been getting enough physical activity. I am really digging the exercise and how it makes me feel. So, it's becoming a new hobby. If eating more yummy food in the future will be necessary to keep this hobby up, I wont have an issue with it :smiley:
    I don't think I have been eating enough fat. A Tbs of mayo (leveled), sour cream, sometimes a small amount of full fat yogurt and cheese. But, I was paying too close attention to calorie intake, so I had been cutting back on it. Now that I am starting to understand that I should eat back some of those exercise calories, I will add more. Oh the agony of being about to have lasagna again *smiles* Thank you!
  • uvi5
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

How much fat do you eat?

I am retired, so don't work like I used to. I was a waitress for most of my adult life, then after college worked at a desk for almost 6 years up until 2006. I love my hobbies, but I have not been getting enough physical activity. I am really digging the exercise and how it makes me feel. So, it's becoming a new hobby. If eating more yummy food in the future will be necessary to keep this hobby up, I wont have an issue with it :smiley:
    I don't think I have been eating enough fat. A Tbs of mayo (leveled), sour cream, sometimes a small amount of full fat yogurt and cheese. But, I was paying too close attention to calorie intake, so I had been cutting back on it. Now that I am starting to understand that I should eat back some of those exercise calories, I will add more. Oh the agony of being about to have lasagna again *smiles* Thank you!

*able