My eyes are WIDE open now

Options
Ok so I had three wide eye opening experiences the last two days. Yesterday a car at work parked so close to mine I couldn't get in. I could open the door but I was too large to squeeze through. I did manage to climb in from passenger side but struggled. Then today I got on the scale and was just shocked at what the number was, I am at my heaviest. Then a co-worker of mine, her mom dropped dead at 47 years old. Though she was a very fit woman it opened my eyes to what can happen to me not being fit.

It is so time for me be serious and really work at being healthy. I am not comfortable in my own skin. My clothes are too tight and well intercourse is so not fun with my huge stomach in the way.

So time for me to stop making excuses, stupid excuses. Heartbreak, stress they can both bite me, I don't care about you anymore. I need to care about me and my kids only.

Replies

• carmenrosab
    carmenrosab Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am happy for you that you've made this choice. Good luck on your journey.
  • howekaren
    howekaren Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I can highly recommend the book "Lose it Right" by James Fell. He explains how to keep to a healthy lifestyle even when you're lacking in motivation. It's fabulous that you've started on this road, but sometimes it there are a lot of mental hurdles to overcome and this book is excellent for that! I was so uncomfortable in my own skin, so I know exactly how you feel: self-conscious, tired, definitely not sexy, felt like a failure. Now I know that I'll always be a work in progress, but I'm happier with my fitness level and when I look in the mirror I see a far better body than I had, and one that will last me a long time.
  • tammycolbert
    tammycolbert Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    howekaren wrote: »
    I can highly recommend the book "Lose it Right" by James Fell. a .

Thank you I am going to look for that book. Thank you everyone. I do alot of venting here but it is nice to know people actually look and give such great advice.

• Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    You've taken the first, most important step of your life change. Congratulations and good luck! you are going to do great as long as you stay focused.
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Hi Tammy. Welcome aboard. I've struggled with 40 extra pounds for almost 20 years now. I just turned 50 and something in my head clicked. "I'm going to make a change. No more excuses." I found MFP and started with the attitude of slow and steady weight loss and slow and steady changes. This was in January. Now I'm down 12 pounds and starting to feel so much better and what I'm telling you is that this really works. I'm embarrassed at how relatively easy it has been too. What took me so long to figure out CICO? :(

Set realistic goals. Log everything. Consistency is important. Move a little more. You will be successful too. :)
  • djrossi52
    djrossi52 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Do not lose weight shed it Losing something means you miss it and may want it back...Not me!!!
  • tammycolbert
    Options
    My small goal is I need to start moving. Not come home from work and lay on the couch. I need to come home do what I need and get moving. And your are right, I don't want to lose it, I wan't to totally give it up, LOL!. Focus is correct, that IS what I need to do.
  • jiigglybutt
    jiigglybutt Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    djrossi52 wrote: »
    Do not lose weight shed it Losing something means you miss it and may want it back...Not me!!!

good way to put it!
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

I started my journey almost 10 months ago, with 90 pounds to lose - at my highest weight to date by 30 pounds - and I have lost over 60 pounds so far, with a bit over 20 to go.

I recommend thinking of this as a lifestyle change, not a temporary change.

It won't be easy, and it will occasionally be frustrating.

I believe the best success comes from thinking of this as a positive experience, not a punishment of yourself for having gotten to the weight you are.

Personally, I allow no food cops, and need no confessional.

There are lots of threads with tips, and if you look at my blogs and posts and think I will be a good friend for your needs, feel free to add me as a friend.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! I'm proud of you. It's hard to own up to what we've done to ourselves. Best of luck to you!
  • five1113
    five1113 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I agree about the get moving part. Eating healthy was never really that difficult for me because I love vegetables and fruits. My issue was exercise. I always dieted with 0 activity somehow convinced it wasn't necessary, but that was the extra weight on my body coming up with an excuse to not get off my *kitten*. Start small. That is key!!!! Walking is the best for beginners. Also, personally for me, walking outside works. A treadmill in home wouldn't have worked for me, especially in the beginning. It's too close to comfort and too easy to quit at it. I still go to a trail nearby or a park to get my 2 miles in 3-5 days a week. I know your struggle on exercise. But I promise, you will feel so accomplished, even if it's 1 lap for starter. Now, I'm disappointed if not able to make it to the track. First step, tie those walking shoes on and walk out the door. Each step you take, is one step closer to your goal. It will hurt, your legs will burn, but that only means you're moving. And I can't express how good it made me feel the day I noticed it didn't hurt anymore. Best of luck, feel free to add me
  • DaneanP
    Options
    My small goal is I need to start moving. Not come home from work and lay on the couch. I need to come home do what I need and get moving. And your are right, I don't want to lose it, I wan't to totally give it up, LOL!. Focus is correct, that IS what I need to do.

If you've been mostly sedentary, might I suggest you check out Jillian Michael's Beginner Shred?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JydFZwPloto

20 minute work outs designed to get you fit and toned without risking injury by keeping things low impact. 20 minutes is doable, right? $8 on Amazon (maybe even cheaper at Walmart).

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Good luck!
  • tammycolbert
    Options
    I have been sedentary for waaaaaaaaay to long. I make my monthy donation to the gym and that is all it was, was a donation. And the thing is I LOVE the gym I go to. I just had 0 motivation. Now I am more motivated then ever. I want the man who broke my heart 2 weeks ago after 7 years together to see me and just eat his ever loving heart out.
  • DaneanP
    Options
    Living well is the best revenge. That said, do it for yourself and who cares what he thinks? You've got this.