300 calorie meals

Options
Hi! I had some great replies to my last enquiry, so a big thank you to everyone. I've decided to do ' Alyson's Vegetarian Chilli' as a start, which I had from the Spark People site.
The trouble with the listings there ( and other recipe places) is that they don't give a total calorie count for the recipe. The 'servings' system is useless, as food varies so much, so I'm really looking for 300 calorie meals which keep well. Also, I was advised to cook some brown rice for using through the week. Any nice ideas for a brown rice meal,?
Hoping to see less of you in future! ,
Den , Cymru (Wales)

Replies

• misuzu437
    misuzu437 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is count the calories that you use to make them and the divide by the portions you make and try to find low calories brands and commit to them.

My favorite breakfast is chorizo eggs and toast.
    1 serving of chorizo is 120 calories
    And egg is 70
    and the bread i buy is 55 cals per slice.
    so totals 145, you can add a second slice for an even 300

My favorite lunch is a home made chicken salad, and you can buy Tupperware and pre-make them a week in advanced.
    4 oz of chicken breast is about 135 calories on average from what I've seen, you can add more or less. Salad in large amounts is still super low in calories and can be very filling.
    And a tasty light Italian dressing can be as low as 5 calories per serving.

As for dinners I die for tuna helper (lol). Probably not the lowest calorie option but I count up the ingredient and define by portions and add a lot of vegetables into it and on the side to lower the calories consumer with each meal.

The other option is it is very easy to have large potions of spaghetti for about 300 calories, and then serve it with a lean meat. Either on the side or mix in some ground turkey.

Brown rice goes great beside chicken and veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, steamed carrots ect.)
    my friend christy likes brown mixed rice and sausages.
    These usually stay fairly low calorie wise.
  • SoxyKitten
    SoxyKitten Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Try the Good Food website. They have recepies on there according to fat content, calories etc.
  • glitterstreet
    Options
  • denvoyager
    denvoyager Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks , Misuzu - I'll do both the chorizo and chicken ones. I don't understand what a 'tune helper' is? Den X
  • denvoyager
    Options
    Thanks! I'll look on that site. Den X
  • denvoyager
    Options
    Sounds great! I'll include that one! Den X
  • MissFitee
    MissFitee Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have to get behind skinnytaste.com here. Definitely not boring recipes. Everything is calculated and the serving sizes actually make sense to me. You can search for "brown rice" on the site if you wish, but there is also so much more to see!
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hi! I had some great replies to my last enquiry, so a big thank you to everyone. I've decided to do ' Alyson's Vegetarian Chilli' as a start, which I had from the Spark People site.
    The trouble with the listings there ( and other recipe places) is that they don't give a total calorie count for the recipe. The 'servings' system is useless, as food varies so much, so I'm really looking for 300 calorie meals which keep well. Also, I was advised to cook some brown rice for using through the week. Any nice ideas for a brown rice meal,?
    Hoping to see less of you in future! ,
    Den , Cymru (Wales)

love brown rice with chopped coriander, spring onion, red chilli and some toasted pine nuts mixed in :tongue:
  • denvoyager
    Options
    I'll defo go for that! Ta muchly, Den x