Medicine and weight gain

Options
I'm on prednisone again, and I think its increasing my appetite. Has this happened to anyone before?

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Weight gain is common with long-term usage of prednisone.

Do you need to take it for a long time, or are you just on a dose (taper) pack?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yes medications can increase appetite, but thank goodness they don't cause weight gain. Eating too much will. You'll have to work a little harder while you're on it. You've got this!
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Prednisone is like a double whammy because it can increase your appetite and also causes people to retain water which can obscure your progress even if you are reducing you actual body weight. Try not to get discouraged, the water will come right off when you're done the prednisone.
  • wannabetrim2
    wannabetrim2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the encouraging words and helpful advice. I've been on prednisone for about two weeks so far. I get to see my doctor again soon so hopefully I can get off the pills and get back on track. Thanks again! Your responses mean a lot to me :)
  • morazacs1991
    morazacs1991 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I had a wicked bad allergic reaction to some medication and now am stuck on tapering prednisone for the next several weeks, I looked up how prednisone causes weight gain in order to see how I could work around it. Prednisone causes weight gain through appetite stimulation, increased uptake of dietary fat, and excretion of potassium/retention of sodium aka water weight. Taking this into consideration I have been watching my daily calories, fat and sodium and thankfully am still losing weight even though I'm on this med. hope this helps someone! ☺️