Best Women's Running Underwear

Options
I was going to ask this in the April running challenge thread, but then I thought it may be a little TMI for all the guys there :-) For those of us that like to wear panties while running, which brand do you wear?

I do not like cotton. I have been wearing Calvin Klein seamless bikinis and I do like them, but they stretch out and get hole in them quickly (I don't know why this happens? Maybe the dryer?). I'm just wondering if there might be a better option.

Something that doesn't ride up or chafe.

Thanks!

Replies

• tri_bob
    tri_bob Posts: 121 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Running Warehouse has lots of good stuff, including what you seem to be looking for. Lots of good experiences with them over the years, although I don't know what their return policy would be for this particular type of item.

I'm in a triathlon training club, and this sort of thing comes up from time to time. I don't have personal experience wearing ladies' undergarments, running or otherwise. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    Comando - running tights/running leggings.
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    None.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    If I'm wearing shorts I'll sometimes wear nothing since they have the panties built in. For compression pants or capris I wear what I always wear, thong underwear. There are no panty lines and for me, they are comfortable. If you don't wear them normally, though, you probably won't find them to be so at first.

I've tried the Calvin Klein seamless thongs and those get holes, too. It must be the fabric they make them from. It's just not sturdy enough or something.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I keep looking at the Under Armor underwear... though their idea of "one size fits most athletes" doesn't apply to me.
  • italysharon
    italysharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I wear spandex when I run. I really don't care about panty lines, I just don't want to be picking a wedgie all during my run. I can't do thongs.

Maybe I should try the commando thing. I'm worried about chaffing though.
  • boy_samantha
    boy_samantha Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    "Body" underwear by Cotton On. By far the best and seamless!

Edit for spelling.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    None. Never had a chafing problem, whereas wedgies=huge problem.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    loratliff wrote: »
    None. Never had a chafing problem, whereas wedgies=huge problem.

Yup
  • du6157
    du6157 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I always go commando and chaffing isn't an issue. I think the less layers you have in that area to hold in moisture the better off you are.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I just wear my normal underwear (which is usually cotton bikinis) and don't have any issues beyond a sweaty bum. But I do love the shorts with the built in dry-weave panties if it's fairly warm out. Gets a nice breeze on places that rarely feel a breeze. :hushed:
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I don't know if you need to spend lots of money on underwear specifically for running but if you get good input on it then maybe it's worth it. At Kohl's they have a brand called Vanity Fair and they have a bikini style panty that is not cotton (it reminds of bathing suit material....but I'm not sure of what the actual material is). They are super comfy for any outfit but especially when running. I will say that after a long time they will stretch b/c they do contain some spandex but I like them a lot. They are called Illumination String or something like that.
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    I wear spandex when I run. I really don't care about panty lines, I just don't want to be picking a wedgie all during my run. I can't do thongs.

Maybe I should try the commando thing. I'm worried about chaffing though.

Chaffing has not been an issue for me. Without running leggings/capris then I'd probably have that issue.

Under Armor, Gap Body, and Nike are my favs.
  • bumflapassassin
    bumflapassassin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I like my new balance undies but sadly they were my dogs favourite to destroy so now I have to make do. Never considered going commando. I'm gonna try it!
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I really like this brand called "commando"
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I prefer none also but I find that with my bottoms being compression it's not a problem and more comfortable then worrying about things moving around.
  • smaj228
    smaj228 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a marathoner and under armour underwear are the best I've used. I like the thongs. Although they are stretchable, the one size fits most athletes does not apply to everyone. That would be my only complaint - that they don't come in actual sizes so it's kind of a gamble.
  • rianoel
    rianoel Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Never went commando until I read the confessions thread. They converted me. It's awesome. And explains why my toddler loves running around in the buff.
  • Squig1102
    Squig1102 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I always get running shorts with built in liners....and pretty much commando underneath. Just can't weight train after cardio....snail trail alert. :X