Question for the women

Options
Hey girls,

A bit of a personal question but experience is probably the only thing that can help me at the moment. I noticed I have really a lot of trouble losing weight just before and during my time of the month. Before I started I lost 2 pounds already, now I'm floating between these two pounds and this seems to happen every month (if not sometimes gain a pound or two). Now, I been sticking to my diet and exercising like mad but nothing seems to help during those days. Any tips?

Thanks!

Replies

• lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    you retain a lot of fluid during your TOM, I wouldn't worry about it :smile:
  • morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's water retention. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Keep on exercising during this time and don't forget to drink lots of water while you are at it.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    wait it out, there's no amount of dieting or exercising that is going to reverse hormonal bloat and/or water retention. It will go away quickly on its own once your TOM is over. It is one of the joys of being women :grumble:
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Hey girls,

A bit of a personal question but experience is probably the only thing that can help me at the moment. I noticed I have really a lot of trouble losing weight just before and during my time of the month. Before I started I lost 2 pounds already, now I'm floating between these two pounds and this seems to happen every month (if not sometimes gain a pound or two). Now, I been sticking to my diet and exercising like mad but nothing seems to help during those days. Any tips?

Thanks!

What you've noticed is completely normal - in fact you're one of the lucky ones if you only "gain" 2 lbs (and it is just water weight). Some people can add up to 7lbs, but whatever your body holds onto at this time, it WILL go again - and if you've stuck to your eating plan you may see an extra loss as well.
  • misstammy123
    misstammy123 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am going through that right now...I hate it. I can only advise to be really patient and calm as if you stick to your exercise and eating regime you will feel better at the end of it. I hate the bloated feeling and dread getting on the scale, but as it is only for a few days I know it will soon go back to "normal", good luck!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    wait it out, there's no amount of dieting or exercising that is going to reverse hormonal bloat and/or water retention. It will go away quickly on its own once your TOM is over. It is one of the joys of being women :grumble:

Yup.
  • PosterPens
    PosterPens Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    i dont even get near the scale during TOM. ill easily gain min 5lbs from doing nothing to habitual snacking. its the worst! just hang in there...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Most women retain water during TOM, I'm just the opposite, lol.
  • maecrocker
    maecrocker Posts: 56
    Options
    I gain 2 pounds a few days before and about 3 pounds the day of. But it goes away within 3 days after. Drink lots of water. Keep with your eating plan. Do not get on the scale -- you're hormonal and it will make you feel horrible and give into those cravings!
  • santje00
    santje00 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thanks girls! Now I don't feel so alone with this problem anymore. It was doing my head in, and sometimes you start to think "why does this always happen to meeee?" But obviously I'm not the only one... I'll stick to my exercise regime and diet for now and hope for the best on tuesday ;)
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    What you've noticed is completely normal - in fact you're one of the lucky ones if you only "gain" 2 lbs (and it is just water weight). Some people can add up to 7lbs, but whatever your body holds onto at this time, it WILL go again - and if you've stuck to your eating plan you may see an extra loss as well.

Yup! I'm one of the lucky ones who gains 7 pounds at TOM! Like others have said, just carry on through it and it will even out the following week!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Yup, it's water retention. I try to only weigh myself once a month, about a week after my TOM in order to get the most accurate idea of my weight loss.
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Yes water retention happens during TOM, its normal and no big deal. I would suggest you only weigh in once a month, and not near your TOM.

But there are products out there that help this. Look up Fem Fire. It is a pre-work drink that really helps this issue. Also certain foods (grains) cause fluid retention more than others (protein). Reduce them the week before TOM and the week of and you might see some relief.

And the best thing to get the bloat off is to go sweat for an hour or two. Exercise burns water while its burning fat.
  • Ldbg289
    Ldbg289 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I also used to get upset over weight gain during time of month. It took a bit but I finally decided not to worry about it when I gain during that time, it usually comes off on its own.