Lifting - Where to start?

Options
2»

Replies

• ChandalNicole
    ChandalNicole Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have a giant wall of mirror in my living room so I could always watch and/or record myself and compare. My boyfriend used to be a boxer but he hasn't done it in years either so I just need some more up to date info! I'm going to get that book for sure. And I'll check around town at the community center or other gyms and see if they have a trial start up program or maybe just a few semi inexpensive sessions I could pay for instead of a full on membership. Using the gym at work is super convenient for me too since I just bring my bag with me and go change after my shift. Doesn't give me a chance for excuses!
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Ok. Seems like I should find a better gym with trainers lol. I'm a single mom so saving cash where I can is important. I work at a hotel which has a fitness center. The gym is very nice, people off the street get memberships and everything, and I get access for free. But the employees aren't trained for anything really. They're just there to make sure everything is clean. So I'm kind of on my own. I'll have to look into other gyms in town and see what I can find!

Look for an independent certified fitness trainer who will go to any gym. Just make sure the gym allows outside trainers. I think yours would because it doesn't sound like a commercial gym and has no trainers of its own on staff, hence no competition issues. If you're not familiar with lifting weights and your gym has no staff to demonstrate proper technique (a safety issue as much as an efficiency one) then even one session with a personal trainer is very beneficial.

I've been following the New Rules of Lifting for Women (NROL4W) and overall I like it, except I find it a bit confusing to alternate routines every time I work out. But I find lots of things a bit confusing, so the problem is more likely with me than the program. LOL. I've been checking out the Stronglifts program and it looks simpler, so I plan to give it a try. But the NROL4W book is well worth reading even if you go with another program, as another commenter already mentioned. I bought an inexpensive copy from ABEbooks, a network of independent booksellers. Or see if your local library has a copy, and if not, ask them to get it for you through interlibrary loan.

Good luck! Send me friend request if you like. :)
  • LaarainNYC
    LaarainNYC Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Strong Lifts. Six weeks in I'm liking my progress and the changes in my body. I also recommend reading Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. The program is similar to SL; the book is worth reading even if you don't follow the program for its instructions on form.