Pasta Sauce

I feel better when I eat a lot of meat for protein. But, I don't really like meat so I mix it with pasta sauce. This is palatable, but what I'm using (Prego heart smart) contains A LOT of sugar. Can anyone recommend a pasta sauce that isn't too expensive, doesn't have too much sodium, and doesn't take the sodium out and replace it with sugar? I'm not sure such a product exists, but I'm grateful for any help.

Replies

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    If I don't make my own sauce, I just buy the canned bargain brand. It does have a lot of sodium, generally (most of them do) but it seems to have quite a bit less sugar. I have NEVER liked Prego...and I'm someone who does like sugar! Just not in my pasta sauce. I don't know that Prego has more sugar per se than other brands, but it tastes sweet, really sweet. Blargh.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    I buy passata and just add some tomato paste (to thicken), mixed herbs and garlic. It takes 30 seconds to put it all together. You can also blend a large carrot into it to add some natural sweetness, thicken it, and add more veg to your meal.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Make your own, It's very simple and there are numerous recipes online
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    It's REALLY EASY to make a tomato sauce - using fresh tomatoes or canned diced tomatoes or tomato sauce - when you make it yourself you have more control over the ingredients & generally it's less expensive as well.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    I use the bargain brand when I don't make my own. They all suck on sodium, so it doesn't make a huge difference what brand it is for that. Prego has the most sugar. Bargain brand and Ragu seem to have less for most of their flavors. I also add more spices and some cheese to make the bargain brand more interesting and to cover up the blandness of the ground turkey... Most spices are pretty much calorie free, so feel free to load up on them!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    I've never bought sauce in a jar...it's super easy to make marinara yourself and you can pack it with veggies.

Saute garlic and onions in olive oil. Add chopped mushrooms, bell peppers and whatever else you want to throw in.* Add chopped tomatoes and/or canned tomato sauce (homemade is best) and the appropriate herbs--parsley, basil, oregano, thyme. Saute meat in a separate pan. Add meat to veggie mixture and simmer on low for as long as you can stand.

If you have a deep cast-iron pan, those are great for making sauce.

*zucchini, spinach, eggplant...I've even heard of putting carrots in marinara
  • cresyluna
    cresyluna Posts: 48 Member
    I was just going to add, take the low sodium canned (whatever brand) and just adding spices to taste works best for me - even dry onion, garlic, oregano and basil (and I do a little bit of olive oil) makes a decent sauce in a hurry. Sauteeing fresh onions and garlic and using fresh herbs will be superior, sure, (and of course you can add other items you prefer like red wine, mushrooms, green peppers, etc. even cinnamon) but sometimes quick is needed and can be very nice without so many sugars.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    ALDI simply organic marinara. 35 calories per serving. I don't believe there's added sugar. It's our favorite.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    I will even grate the veggies - pasta sauce is the best place to hide them from myself. If I don't have time or energy I just use plain canned tomato sauce with basil.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Muir Glen makes organic pasta sauce that is lower in both sodium and sugar than most others I've seen. And it's delicious.