Need help hitting macros

Options
kimw91
kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
Right, so I recently signed up for a personal training program which started last Monday. It's an online program, so I get all my nutrition plans and training programs through their website/app. The way they work, they don't provide you with all the background knowledge, information and details all at once as for many people this can be overwhelming. Being the perfectionist and curious soul I am, I much rather would get all the info right here and now, but nothing I can do about that. Point is: there's no point in asking me why I've received these specific numbers, because I haven't been told yet. They do roughly match calculations I'd already made myself a while ago.

So, on point. On rest days I should be eating 1726 calories with a 197/113/54 (c/p/f) breakdown (I weigh approx. 59kg at 1.69m.). On the 3 days I currently hit the gym, this ups to 1998 calories 265/113/54.

Now I can't seem to hit my carb goals without going over my protein or having to eat dry slices of bread at every meal or just before bed time so to speak. I've already started adding muesli to my morning yoghurt or swapping to oatmeal/pancakes/French toast. I add plenty of rice/pasta to my dinner, eat a lot of veg and fruit and have a sandwich or pasta salad or so at lunch. The amount of carbs is just quite a change from how I used to eat, so it takes some effort to adjust!

Does anyone have any other suggestions? High carb/low protein snacks or so, I guess? Any tips and ideas would be appreciated! :smile:

Replies

• cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    If your aim is just to gets carbs in and you can't stomach the volume needed on "more healthy/nutritionally dense" options, then just chow down on some sweets (i.e...Pop-Tarts, candies, etc...), fruit (bananas, raisens, dates, etc...), grains like corn, cereals, etc... It all gets coverted in the end to sugar, so the medium of the carb is (mostly) irrelevant. Going over protein is fine and unless you feel the excess in lieu of carbs is affecting your training, then don't sweat it. This is all assumed that you stay within your caloric goal for the day.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are getting more then plenty of carbs. I think you taking your numbers too seriously. There is no harm in being under.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    That's a ton of carbs.
    At any rate, carbs are less crucial than fat and protein. If you a little off your numbers (up or down), you are o.k. :)
  • kimw91
    Options
    Ah alright then, thanks guys! That should make life a lot easier. I always stay within my caloric goal, but am so used to eating relatively high protein. I've been feeling fine at around 200gr of carbs so I'll stick to what I can get to for now. Thank you!
  • powerstaxx
    Options
    Have you thought about maybe adding in some carbs in liquid form? Either something like Gatorade,or go to a Supplement store to get some powdered carbs to mix your own drinks.I often use these to hit my macro total for the day.
    Hope this helps.Feel free to add me if you wish.All the best with your goals.
  • maddisondavey
    maddisondavey Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree with two of the people above, saying to add in 'non-healthy' food ie candy and what not, as well as liquid carbs. Also as you go along with this plan, you will learn what foods fit well, and be able to plan a whole days food with no effort :)
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I really don't think that good nutrition has to be this complicated. I take a glance at my pie chart of macro percentages, look at my nutrient goals for vitamins, minerals, calcium, iron, fiber, etc. and call it a day. I stay in my calorie goals and keep my nutrients high. This seems to work.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about why you would follow a training program that you don't understand and that seems rather arbitrary? It's fine to be lower on carbs and higher on fat and protein; there's no problem with it, and it can even be good for you as long as you maintain a balanced diet.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I think you could up your protein and fats and decrease carbs if it's that much of a problem.

But, those carbs aren't that high. Rice, higher carb dense fruit and vegetables, oats, Fruit flavoured yoghurt, cereal with rice milk.
  • kimw91
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips guys, I'll have a look at carb supplements, I'd just rather get it from 'real foods', but that's just a personal preference. I've indeed upped my fruit and veg intake and that seems to really help a lot. Fruit flavoured yoghurt as well indeed, I never realized how many carbs that adds!

They recommend only having carbs (as in oats/pasta/rice/muesli/potatoes etc.) at breakfast and pre-/post-workout, but I've loosened up on that a bit as it just doesn't seem viable for now, maybe if I get more used to this way of eating that'll be easier.

@segacs , it's not that I don't understand the program, I just haven't received all information yet, I've only been at it for a week. They give you a personal program and over time inform you and the why's and how's. Their reasoning behind this is not to overwhelm people with too much information all at once, seeing not everyone who starts the program has any experience with training or nutrition. The nutrition plan isn't set for the full length of the program and will be changed and adapted to one's progress, experiences etc. What makes you say it seems arbitrary?
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I would try to hit the numbers that they gave as close as possible. Why would sign up for a program to follow and then only partially follow their program?
    If you need to get your carb numbers up then simply have bigger portions of whatever carbs you're already eating. Say you have 1/2 c oats for breakfast, then double that. Or like others have said add in some more "treat" like carbs. Things like cereals will pack in the carbs pretty easily. Actually post workout you WNT some of these more treat-like carbs because they are some much faster digesting.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    What is your goal? Weight loss or increasing muscle, which requires the increase in food?
  • vivajordi
    vivajordi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    DOUGHNUTS.
  • kimw91
    Options
    @lulucitron Increasing muscle for the moment.
    @paj315 I do try to hit their macros, but numbers don't always add up and I wind up hitting my calories while still having carbs left to fill. I've gone over all the numbers several times but can't figure out where the errors sit. I bought some lemonade and sweets yesterday, but don't just wanna eat sugary carbs. Upping oatmeal/quinoa and such tends to put me over my protein, which of course I could reduce from somewhere else but I get to my protein pretty fast. Ah well I'll keep playing around with it a bit, I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. Thanks!
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Sweet Potato adds mostly all carbs. Dates would be mostly all carbs. Most fruits are gonna be almost all carbs.

Pre-logging your food will help. You if you log everything the night before then you can look at the day as a whole and add or take away a little here or there so make your numbers come out as close as possible.

It's also good to have a couple of go to items to add to a specific macro. Like if I need a few grams of only fat, I'll add in fish oil pills which are 1g fat each. Or if I need only protein I'll add in egg whites. Or only carbs I'll add in cereal or sweet potato.