Lifting - where to begin

Options
Belle8312
Belle8312 Posts: 2,151 Member
I apologize if this question has been asked, I didn't see it, or I missed it.

So I want to start lifting....where do I begin? I have quite a bit of weight to lose and am definitely hitting cardio pretty hard, but want to start weight training. I am totally lost as to where to start and what to do.

Thanks in advance! :smiley:

Replies

• bryjess95
    bryjess95 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm just a beginner myself but everything I've read, and the advice that's been given to me, indicates that when starting you should focus on proper form and technique. Use low weights and high reps as you become familiar with the machines. This is one area where I think it's smart to seek out the advice of a trainer or experienced lifter to help you in the gym. You don't want to risk an injury that will cause a setback.
  • wcarbyde
    wcarbyde Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I personally think trainers are a complete waste of money. (I am sure others will disagree, most likely trainers) There is so much info available to be able to educate yourself. Have a question about a machine? Look it up on youtube. You should start by circuit training. Focus on a single exercise for each body part and do 2-3 sets for each one. Start with 12-15 reps per set and definitely use a weight you won't struggle with very much. Pay attention when in the gym to how other people are using a piece of equipment you aren't familiar with. Don't ever be afraid to ask someone a question in the gym. I have never seen a gym member in my 36 years of attending different places that wasn't willing to hep someone out with information.
  • terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    There's a ton you can learn on your own, but a couple sessions with a trainer in a gym to orient yourself to the equipment and lifts will take much less time and get you going that much quicker and can answer your questions/correct form on the fly.

At any rate, you just need to get started. There are a number of programs commonly used by women on this site. Check out:

Strong Lifts
    Starting Strength
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
    Strong Curves

All of those have been used with great success by many ladies here.
  • TheRoseRoss
    TheRoseRoss Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    There are some great trainers out there, but there are some terrible ones. I'm friends with a lady that's sunk her money into a terrible one. By that I mean, the guy knows his stuff, but he's a gent in his early 20s, that competes in strongman and body building competitions. My friend is a woman in her 50s, that's 5 feet tall, and 100 pounds. An exaggeration. What I'm trying to say is that she's a short, small, woman that's "skinny-fat." This guy is trying to get her to squat 300lbs, because he squats 300lbs, and he has 20 year old female clients that squat 300lbs, so by god, she'd better try to squat 300lbs as well, when that is not her goal in the slightest. He also provides meal plans. She told him what foods she does not like, because she needs a meal plan she can stick with. He gave her a plan including the foods that she does not like, because she needs to "get over that and eat what's good for her." Total jerk.

As for your beginnings, I suggest:

- dumbbell curls for your biceps
    - dumbbell tricep kickbacks for your triceps
    - dumbbell side lateral raises for your shoulders
    - dumbbell overhead presses for your shoulders
    - dumbbell/cable rows for your back
    - dumbbell front squats (hold a dumbbell on each of your shoulders) for your quads (I suggest this before jumping into squatting with a barbell because you don't want to risk messing up your back and/or knees until you've got your form down)
    - hamstring curls for your glutes

You can find videos/pictures/guides on these exercises all over. I think those are a good start because most of them require nothing more than a set of dumbbells, that you can grab, and then carry over into a corner in order to practice until you feel more comfortable and confident working out "in the open." As opposed to using one of the machines that may be more in "full view," and worried about getting caught not "using it right," or whatever. Once your confidence is up, you should probably be able to identify the "regulars" that look like they know their way around, and can ask them for advice on any of the machines that you're unsure about.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    terizius wrote: »
    There's a ton you can learn on your own, but a couple sessions with a trainer in a gym to orient yourself to the equipment and lifts will take much less time and get you going that much quicker and can answer your questions/correct form on the fly.

At any rate, you just need to get started. There are a number of programs commonly used by women on this site. Check out:

Strong Lifts
    Starting Strength
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
    Strong Curves

All of those have been used with great success by many ladies here.

Heard NROLFW is a strong program.

Props to SS fo dayz
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    NROL4W is a good beginner program. It will help you get comfortable with lifting. Starting Strength is an amazing book and will help you a lot. I would start by reading those two and get comfortable in the weight room. Focus on form first, then you can start increasing your weights. A trainer in the beginning can really help you get your form down but make sure they know what your goals are as a lot of trainers tend to be a little silly when it comes to training women.
  • gavyn02
    gavyn02 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If you want a library full of exercise ideas check out my you tube channel "gavyn berntsen you tube" it's free and will give you a good start point.
  • ShannynMarion
    ShannynMarion Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm (still) really intimidated by going to the gym so what got me started was the ChaLean Extreme dvd by Beachbody. If you don't mind investing in some dumbbells it's a great program to start with. It's straightforward and I was amazed at how quickly I started to notice an improvement in my body.