Healthier Breakfast

Options
On Sunday I know I'm going to eat out for breakfast, and I won't be able to exercise that day because of how busy I will be, so I know I'll be going over my calorie goal. It'll be my first "cheat" day in a really long time, but I want it to still be as close to my calorie goal as possible. I don't know where I'll be eating breakfast and I won't know until the last second. I know this sounds odd, but bear with me here because it is not my choice. So what are usually more healthy choices offered pretty much anywhere for breakfast? For example, would French toast or pancakes be a smarter choice? Or just any tips in general for eating out for breakfast. Note: I am lactose intolerant. Thank you in advance for any tips!

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Most places have lighter menus. Be conscientious and you'll be fine.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Eggs and meat. Things like pancakes and french toast are probably going to be higher in cals, although delicious.
  • fatjon73
    fatjon73 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Eggs and meat. Things like pancakes and french toast are probably going to be higher in cals, although delicious.

This....or egg and fish.....good time to get some fish in at breaky...esp if eating out....fruit salad....bet they will have a boring melon option....maybe get a bit of prosciutto with it if its posh...lol....(this is classed as posh in the UK......ok)
  • fatjon73
    Options
    my true theory is sod the calories...end enjoy your time out.....make up for it another time....I am a believer in enjoying the important family / friends time...not worrying too much about the cals.....but I make sure I am back at it when home and normal again.....otherwise ot be a boring life......but that is my view.....lol....
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    An egg is around 70 calories - assuming the restaurant is using real eggs vs. a scrambled egg mix, if you will. Calories might be higher with that, then.

Many restaurants offer a "healthy" set of options - usually a modification of one of their more popular menu items.

I would get scrambled eggs and turkey sausage, if they offer it, but that's just me. My personal fave for breakfast is 2 eggs, 1-2 sausages and hash browns. The sausage and hash browns would still be good if you reheated them so you wouldn't have to eat them while at the restaurant if you got full after eating some of it :) Pancakes or french toast would reheat, too, provided you had syrup on the side.

....now I want to take myself out for breakfast, lol!

Log as best you can, and don't freak out if you see a jump up on the scale - it'll be water weight and should come off in a few days to a week!

~Lyssa
  • JoAnnRyan123
    JoAnnRyan123 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Egg white omelet with spinach & feta is my go to
  • Nery_Tay
    Nery_Tay Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Okay if you live in the US you might go to Dennys if so do the build your own grand slam and choose the healthier options. Eggs, water, english muffin, wheat pancakes, egg whites, etc. If it's a chain restraunt check the calories on your phone or just go what you believe is the best choice
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Nearly every restauraunt serves two eggs and toast; the basic breakfast and cheap too. If hash browns are included ask for tomato slices instead. If they include bacon, have a taste party in your mouth and enjoy.
  • fatjon73
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    . If they include bacon, have a taste party in your mouth and enjoy.

^^^ This EVERY TIME........never refuse bacon...its a sin.....

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,856 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hmm: bad PAV888 : - ) The question was "healthier breakfast", not "fit in my calories breakfast"!

Healthier breakfast would depend on your definition, wouldn't it?

Many places would offer an oatmeal dish or a yogurt with granola dish. Some would also have fruit salads either as sides or as a standalone dish.

A boiled or poached egg with dry toast could also be ordered a la carte, or you could order a simple two egg-two toast meal and substitute tomatoes for the hash-browns or meat items.

If the place has a lunch menu too, you might be able to order a salad or what have you from the lunch menu.

What do you eat at home?

<Analysis of various steak and eggs combinations for 800 to 1000 calories removed>
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Almost all breakfast places have an option for eggs and toast maybe a side of hashbrown or sausage or bacon. Relatively small in cals compared to 4 huge pancakes. Though if you end up going to a chain like IHop or Dennys or Bob Evans you can check out your option before ordering.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Fruit salad

Toast and egg

Coffee

Aka
    Vitamins
    Carbs and protein
    Nectar