Just Starting

Options
2»

Replies

• scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    sfsw_in wrote: »
    Hi guys! I've just recently decided that I really need to change my lifestyle and lose all of this weight I've gained for the past 4 years. It's been really rough for me because I am a very anxious person and since I'm always stressed out I tend to eat crap ALL THE TIME.

I've been trying to "start" this change and I somehow always end up in a situation where I just buy food or choose to eat whatever will make me happy at the moment :(

I've seen so many people just turn the switch and completely change what they eat but that's so hard for me to do! Anyway, if anyone wants to add me on here that would be great. I like seeing other people's posts and motivation to keep me going. Have a nice day!

Hi there,

I get anxious a lot and a few times last year had lapses when that anxiety resulted in uber food noms. There's no magic way to overcome it, it just takes time and increasing your mental strength whatever way works best for you. I will say though the obvious thing to do is at least not have trigger food lying around that's easy to grab. Packets of biscuits, etc (if you do indeed have stuff like that). Open packet syndrome is a killer, so buy things only in sizes you need. Even if buying a multi-pack of something is better value for money. If you're already doing this, then great. Be kind to yourself, it takes time and you're only human.
  • VillageSmithy
    VillageSmithy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    ...build up my endurance, then get into cardio since I can't do it now because I'm so out of shape :(
    That sounds so familiar! Thirty seconds into my first session on the treadmill 12 weeks ago (see before photo above) were memorably humiliating. (Gasping, wide-eyed, 'holy-smokes-this-can't-be-right'.)

But one's physiology responds very quickly to meet such demands. A month in, I was climbing 100 flights of stairs most work days. This morning, I did 70 minutes (eight miles) on the cross-country elliptical. I'm 68 years old, so... you can do this, my dear. B)
  • mindovermeals
    mindovermeals Posts: 43 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @scottacular

Thanks for the advice! I didn't think of trying to buy stuff only in sizes that I need. It makes so much sense.
  • mindovermeals
    mindovermeals Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    That sounds so familiar! Thirty seconds into my first session on the treadmill 12 weeks ago (see before photo above) were memorably humiliating. (Gasping, wide-eyed, 'holy-smokes-this-can't-be-right'.)

But one's physiology responds very quickly to meet such demands. A month in, I was climbing 100 flights of stairs most work days. This morning, I did 70 minutes (eight miles) on the cross-country elliptical. I'm 68 years old, so... you can do this, my dear. B)

Thank you! I really do think that it's all in my head. I limit myself and give up too quickly because I'm either too embarrassed to be so out of shape, or I simply think that I can't do it and I'm wasting my time. I gotta start changing that mindset!
  • monkey246
    monkey246 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I've just recently decided that I really need to change my lifestyle and lose all of this weight I've gained for the past 4 years. It's been really rough for me because I am a very anxious person and since I'm always stressed out I tend to eat crap ALL THE TIME.

I've been trying to "start" this change and I somehow always end up in a situation where I just buy food or choose to eat whatever will make me happy at the moment :(

I've seen so many people just turn the switch and completely change what they eat but that's so hard for me to do! Anyway, if anyone wants to add me on here that would be great. I like seeing other people's posts and motivation to keep me going. Have a nice day!

I was in completely the same oat when I started. Slow and steady wins the race! MFP will help motivate you and notice where you're going wrong :)