How to eat more protein if you don't like meat or can't afford it very often

Options
2»

Replies

• gemmamummy
    gemmamummy Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    250g of low fat fromage frais with 25g of chopped up grapes - 20g protein and tastes good too.
  • darkriver2012
    darkriver2012 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    What about a savory soya protein. I have 350g bag that will make me 7 meals and.it cost me £2 from holland and Barrett
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    If you like ground (minced) meats like turkey or hamburger, you may like the texture of TVP (textured vegetable protein). It's typically made from soy and/or wheat, is sold as dehydrated "crumbles" in a bag or jug, and is very inexpensive.

TVP is usually "plain" (no flavor added), but add in seasonings when cooking (Google will help you with inspiration), and it's "meaty" in texture and gets your family the protein they need on a tight budget.
  • Nerruse
    Nerruse Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Eggs, beans and cheese are my go-tos for meals. Also check out the Budget Bytes website--recipes are broken down by cost and are usually pretty cheap. I just made the roasted vegetable burritos from there. No meat, 20g of protein per serving, 10 servings for ~1.50 each depending on local prices and the size of the vegetables. There are plenty of cheap meat dishes on there too.

Also stuff like yogurt could be a decent protein boost for a snack/dessert.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    quinoa

Similar nutrient profile to beans, but much more expensive. Tasty enough...