Learning to be hungry

I used to think the feeling of hunger was kind of like the feeling of pain: something to be immediately treated. Now I think it is kind of weird how low my hunger tolerance is. I'm just curious... do many of you think you should try to avoid feeling hungry during weight loss or have you learned to just accept feeling hungry during parts of the day?

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    I found, surprisingly, that using MFP I didn't suffer hunger, as I had on past diets. If you can get your calories and excercise calibrated correctly---you eat what you need to function---my body was satisfied with that. Now, I'm not saying that it is easy. You need to tweek here and there, especially at the end of your weight loss. In my opinion, being hungry is not necessary, and counter productive. B)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    With the exception of some rare days, I don't feel hungry. If I do, I eat. Make sure you're not over restricting yourself and getting lots of fats and proteins, for satiety.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    I don't really get "too hungry". If I'm hungry, it's because it's time to eat anyway so it's normal. Now I have some special days when I experience some extra true hunger, especially the day after I deadlift. Then-I eat. I'm not in a rush anymore. I log it and am prepared to see slower losses.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    I find that as long as I am doing something to keep my mind and or body busy hunger is pretty easy to ignore for the first 24 hours after my last meal. If I am lazing around then bordome hunger is much harder to overcome. but yes, overall I have found that by being conscience about calorie counting and controlling my weight, Being hungry is accectable and I do not need to eat right away just to stop being hungry.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    I'll get hungry when I'm stuck at work and it's an hour till dinner- I used to reach for the chcolate straight away. Now I just deal with and wait until I get home and cook dinner. If I really can't deal I have low cal snacks in my draw for those days. But if I know I have a meal waiting for me, it's a lot easier to ignore it.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    I dont feel hungry and its one of my first aims to avoid feeling hungry, the next is nutrition. I know many people feel its part of the process, but theres a bottom level on calories I cant be bothered to go below and would rather lose at a slower rate or do exercise. Lifestyle change etc.

Funny thing is if I fuel properly exercise doesnt make me hungry and keeps me away from food. I know for many it makes people hungrier.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Yup, don't get hungry unless I go too long between meals.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    I just accept that it happens from time to time.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited April 2015
    I try to eat every 3-4 hrs (so that i don't get hungry).
    I've always been like that.
    Only now, i try to eat more healthier foods than before.
    If i know i'm gonna be stuck somewhere without access to food, i'll bring snacks with me.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,153 Member
    I make sure to get a nice balance of protein, carbs, and fats at each meal and that has been HUGE for me. I also learned, over time, that I'm better off eating just before I start to get hungry - keeps me satiated and humming through the day!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    In losing 40 Lbs I rarely if ever had hunger pangs...and when I did it was usually shortly after waking up and needing breakfast. You don't have to starve to lose weight...I don't know why so many people think you have to go around being hungry to lose weight...it's sad.
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    I minimize my hunger, not avoid it. Keep my intake at a deficit but not so low I am starving, eat small satiating meals with protein and fiber. Drink lots of water. I still feel a little hungry but nothing like when I tried to diet by cutting back hard. I am losing between 1-2 lbs a week.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Depends on the hunger for me. If it's hormonal, forget it, otherwise, yeah, I learn to deal with it.
  • jocelynkyork
    jocelynkyork Posts: 16 Member
    If I haven't eaten very much or anything substantial in awhile, I don't let myself feel hungry for very long, but if I've been getting adequate nutrition, then I let it get to a real growl before I eat just to make sure it's not from boredom or just cravings. It's good to get yourself to the point of actually physically feeling hungry at times, but there's no reason to delay eating after you feel it - that's just deprivation IMO
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    rebprest wrote: »
    I used to think the feeling of hunger was kind of like the feeling of pain: something to be immediately treated. Now I think it is kind of weird how low my hunger tolerance is. I'm just curious... do many of you think you should try to avoid feeling hungry during weight loss or have you learned to just accept feeling hungry during parts of the day?

If you're hungry, you're doing it wrong.
    Can you show your work on that?

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    I'm rarely hungry. I used to be hungry all the time, but I truly believe it was emotional, not physical. Night time was the worst, so I changed my biggest meal for dinner and solved that problem.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    When I'm hungry, I eat. I know that when I don't eat in an hour of be being hungry (I get hunger pains - very mild cramps and growling), I will be in a lot of pain (about a 5) the rest of the day even if I do eat. I've also spent time being unable to buy food to eat and/or get to someone's house who would let me have some food. Being hungry sucks and I avoid it unless medically necessary.

If you can deal with feeling hungry, go for it. I can't so I don't.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    I don't walk around most of the day being hungry. I get hungry when it approaches my normal meal times. I eat and then I am not hungry. I plan out 3 meals and 1-2 snacks most days. If I have eaten and I feel hunger I might drink water or chew gum and wait 20 minutes to an hour to see if the feeling passes. If I still feel hungry I eat something.

I think if you are feeling hungry most of the time you should examine things. I don't feel that is normal. Is your calorie goal too restrictive? Are you eating some of your exercise calories or not? Are you getting enough protein, fats and fiber? Are you getting enough water? Are you short on sleep?
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    I'm trying to use cognitive reappraisal to view hunger as a "good" feeling.
  • LilyBentley2013
    LilyBentley2013 Posts: 25 Member
    I am pro-snacks, if you can make sure to not confuse the grazing with a free for all mentality. I have a sort-of friend who is anorexic and will refuse to eat and refuse to eat and refuse to eat, then, as humans are designed to eat, freak out and eat everything and blow over the fasting calories burned easily. I keep a banana or almonds in my car/bag, so that I don't reach that point because I used to do similar. People need food, not just air and dreams of a thin body. If you plan that you will get hungry like you eventually will, you can head off the need for a pastry and iced coffee (or whatever your personal snack downfalls are).