FitBit Surge or FitBit Charge HR?

Options
Just accidentally washed my fitbit one. I keep doing that. It's time for something different. I researched all of the different brands and I'm pretty sure I want to stick with the fitbit. Which one should I get?

Thanks

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Zip

Cheap, can put it in your bra or pocket

And the HRM aspect, sleep tracking is, IMO pointless
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I had the regular charge, and now I have the Surge. We also had the little fitbit that you put in your pocket. I like the Surge, however, the heart rate monitor (of the Surge I purchased) is not accurate at all at high intensity. But I still like the Surge.
  • Shanairah1991
    Shanairah1991 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have the charge HR. I love it! I would have gotten the surge because it has more features but at this point in my life I can't justify the higher price of the surge.
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    To me the surge is like strapping a small cell phone on your wrist. I have a flex and will upgrade to a charge hr. The only "better things about the surge is the GPS tracking and I use my phone for that on walks
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of research into both the Surge and the Charge HR, and I would honestly, highly recommend against both of them, personally. I have a Polar FT4 that I use for HRM purposes, as a multitude of reviews on Amazon said that there was a large discrepancy in calories burned between the Charge HR and their Polar (100+ calorie difference)

http://www.amazon.com/Fitbit-Charge-Wireless-Activity-Wristband/dp/B00N2BW2PK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428765143&sr=8-1&keywords=fitbit+charge+hr#Ask

"It's completely inaccurate if you're doing anything besides steady state cardio like a jog, walk or run, bike ride. If you do any high intensity training, weights, sports like soccer or hockey. It won't work. It can't register quick changes in heart rate only slow climbing sustained heart rates. If you do any of these you'll need a strap for accurate readings. I tested doing Insanity max 30, polar was at 142 average and the fitbit 116 didn't even register half the time. It is what it is a step counter that will measure your heart rate while walking."

"I just purchased it today after and will unfortunately be returning it tomorrow. I ran a pretty hilly 10k with both the charge hr and my Polar FT7. The charge HR was off by 20-25 bpm. When my polar registered in the 170 range the charge he was in the 150 range, which was very disappointing because I had been looking forward to this Fitbit for a while I liked the idea of continuous hr monitoring and not having to wear a chest strap. Also, there were times when it would register 150 the jump up to 170. It was pretty inconsistent and very inaccurate. Oh well, I guess I will just stick with the Polar for now, which I use every time I run, do Insanity, and T25."

"I'll echo what another reviewer said; go to the support forums. There are hundreds over there with data and comparisons showing that the Charge HR is not accurate on exercises involving high HR or rapidly changing HR (like HIIT). They have adjusted everything, done significant testing and comparisons, and provided their data. Thus far, FitBit seems to not be addressing the concerns in any substantive way."

I have the Fitbit Flex, and I genuinely enjoy it. I bought mine brand new off eBay for $50 (I probably wouldn't pay full price unless you're just looking to burn money) but I can keep a charge for a full week, easy. I find the sleep tracking to be interesting, if not entirely useful. The steps tracker seems accurate enough, and it definitely helped me realize just how stagnant I was at my desk job. I'm not 100% on the calorie burn, but it's got to be more accurate than a calculator alone.

So that's my opinion-- good luck!
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I accidentally washed my Fitbit one too but the customer service recommended me to put it in with rice for 48 hours so that all the moisture is absorbed and it worked. My be you want to give it a try if you have not tried it already. Just a suggestion.
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I have a charge hr and i love it. I was scared when i read some of the reviews but i honestly find mine to be very accurate. The only thing not accurate is the distance- however i still havent taken the time to put in my stride length. But im a nurse, and anytime ive tracked my hr, even during exercise other than steady state cardio, it was accurate. I checked it manually to make sure. People complain about getting steps with driving, never happened to me, and i check like once a week lol.

Ive heard great things about a polar hrm and almost bought one, and still might. But, for now i wanted an all day tracker. And i probably wouldve gone with the surge, but i didnt wanna spend that much on it. Plus everyone complains its huge on their wrists. Id also like to say that alot of people who complain about their fitbit being inaccurate, are probably wearing it wrong, or on the wrong wrist, or have the settings different then mfp.

Im considering getting an apple watch too someday. But for now, i LOVE my charge hr. Im addicted to it!
    Moral of the story- youll have to look into whatever you thing will suit you and just take a leap.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I run and do not take my phone on runs, I got the surge. My husband has a garmin with a heart strap and I've worn both the surge and the garmin to test heart rate and they are similar within 5 beats during the duration of my runs.

The gps is accurate when compared to my husbands garmin and the mileage and pace is accurate when compared aganist the garmin.

So I like my surge.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yeah they're fine for steady state cardio like running but that's about it ...unless you are looking to check your HR rather than your calories burn

How do you imagine the underlying formula work across the range of potential activities/exercises etc

I wear a fitbit all day to track activity and a polar ft4 for workouts

But overall whatever you do just check it against your actual weight loss over a couple of months and adjust accordingly
  • OysterKat
    OysterKat Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone I purchased the charge hr and I love it no idea if it's accurate though but I am losing weight!