Non-Dairy Protein Options

Options
I am lactose intolerant, and meeting my protein goals has proven itself very difficult. Greek yogurt, cheese, protein powder (most lactose free kinds are awfully expensive), and most protein bars are not an option for me. I am getting rather very tired of eggs and canned tuna, for I eat both of them more than once a day to get me close to my daily protein needs. I need other protein options that are non-dairy and inexpensive. Any ideas? Besides the basic lean meats, nuts, beans, etc.? Recipes are also very helpful! Thank you in advance!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Ummm.

You've covered pretty much all options. There is no other magic protein sources. I rarely eat dairy though - a bit of cheese, and a little WPI (which is often ok for those who are lactose intolerant and not expensive imo)

There are so many things you can do with eggs and meat.... Perhaps spend more time getting creative in the kitchen so your food is more exciting!
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I second that on covering pretty much all options. I have a hard time getting it all in and I have no issues with lactose. It's just a lot to eat. If I think of anything...I'll be sure to post it!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Lean meats, non-lean meats, fish, nuts, legumes, protein powder, lactose-free dairy products.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Hummus. If need be, you can make your own pretty easily, which might also be way cheaper.

Peas. Certain grains and therefore also certain breads. I think quinoa, but also bulgur, oatmeal, and couscous have decent protein counts (comparable to a lot of dairy). Edamame makes a nice snack -- check the frozen aisle. If you eat processed foods, take a look at the labels on bread, crackers, cereal, etc and pick higher protein options.

Have not tried them, but I hear good things about Chia seeds. Other seeds, too, or seed butters, if you are sick of nuts/nut butters. I like sunflower butter. (Pumpkin seed butter is good but the colour of cat puke, imo, so I had trouble eating it.) Peanut butter is usually cheaper though.

Fermented tofu is yummy.

If you do beans, like say, lentils, go for the bagged stuff and make them yourself. Usually cheaper.

If you buy meat: Bulk is often cheaper, as are less popular cuts, say, with skin and bone and things you might have to work to remove. You can even buy a whole chicken, pop it in the oven, and have chicken ready for days.

Lower count items include cocoa powder, leafy greens, other veggies (like broccoli), avocado, etc. Not as protein packed, but good if you can incorporate to boost your count a bit. For example, greens/veggies/avocado could be coupled with a higher protein bread and incorporated into a wrap or sandwich with another protein source (like tofu or tuna or egg).

And what about changing how you eat your eggs? French toast would be yummy, and you could pick a higher protein bread. A quick google search turned up dairy free recipes, you'd have to experiment to find one you like. And you can make pancakes with just banana and egg: http://www.blogilates.com/blog/2012/08/17/100-natural-pancakes-recipe-gluten-free-flourless-low-calorie/

You may also try looking up "vegan _____ recipe". A lot of vegan food would work for you, would often be designed to incorporate a high punch of dairy-free protein, and would likely be tasty.
  • ninjawaffles22
    ninjawaffles22 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I kind of thought I was covering most if not all of my options. I guess I'll just find some recipes that I can make my daily protein sources a little more exciting! Thank you all for your responses though!
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried Quinoa? It's a grain that you can cook with. It's cool because it can be sweet or savory, depending on how you cook it. So, you can prepare it like you would oatmeal and sweeten with something like cinnamon and a little honey, or you can prepare it like you would rice and make tofu or chicken stir fry with it. It has a nice consistency and just takes on the flavor of what you prepare it with. It's great because it has more protein than some traditional grains, like rice!

I'm not sure how your body does with soy, but if you have no problems with it that's a good source of protein, too. You could do something like soy nuts on a salad or just eat them by themselves as a snack! You can also do things like split peas and lentils, as those also have protein.

They do make protein powders and bars that are free of all dairy. Oftentimes they will be marked as vegan, which lets you know their is no dairy ingredients in them. You can google dairy free protein powders and bars and see where they are sold near you, or order online.

Things like soy milk and almond milk are a reasonable source of protein. You won't get as much form these as from regular milk, but still some. Also soy based cheeses, yogurts, and ice creams have decent amounts of protein.

And last but not least, peanut butter! Great source of healthy fats and protein!

Another option could be the Boost high protein drink. It does not contain dairy and has a lot of protein! Good luck, I'm a vegetarian, so I know how hard it can be to get enough protein!

• geimerst
    geimerst Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hemp, sunflower, sesame, flax, pumpkin and chia seeds; Quinoa; Spirulina; Nutritional yeast;
    Nuts such as almonds, walnuts, cashews, pistachios, peanuts, and more; Beans;
    Soy containing foods such as tempeh, tofu, and edamame (choose organic whenever possible);

Source: http://nutritionstripped.com/10-plant-based-proteins-eating/

More important, I wouldn't worry too much about not getting enough protein.
    Most people consume 2x the RDA (or more).

https://www.facebook.com/drgarth/posts/944281258926116
    This may be my favorite video Dr. Greger has ever done.

I am baffled at our country's infatuation with protein. I tell someone to eat an apple for a snack, but when they bring me back their food log I find they were snacking on beef jerky. Why? They think they need protein.

The RDA is 42 gm for females and 52 for males, but that is not a minimum number. That is an optimal amount to assure that over 98% of people will have adequate protein.

Meanwhile less than 3% of country eats less than the RDA. In fact, most people eat double to triple the RDA. Worse yet, when people are polled about food goals, 66% say they are trying to eat more protein.

I have recently been studying protein metabolism and calculations of need. MIT did an interesting study that basically states we need slightly more protein than RDA. So a 70 kg male needs 56 gm of protein (assuming he has 0% body fat). MIT says he needs 70 gm. This is based in complex lab studies. Interestingly, this is not because anybody was exhibiting any deficits, and feeding someone 70 over 56 has no positive effect.

BUT the craziest thing is we average far higher than even MIT standards. Men typically consume 80-130, and everybody is trying to get more.

This protein obsession means people are stuffing their mouth's with meat. The result is that there is no room for the good stuff. I can't believe how low the fiber consumption is in my patients and it turns out it is low in just about everybody
  • lcooper327
    lcooper327 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Can I just say sort of unrelated I would advise against eating tuna every day.
  • Nezz123
    Nezz123 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin seeds! 10 grams per 1/4 cup....more than an egg!
  • gwennsx
    gwennsx Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm a vegan so I feel your pain, I have a hard time hitting my protein goal every day but I keep trying. Nutritional yeast is AWESOME in my opinion. It's like 50% protein and I always throw it in my rice or pasta dishes
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    White kidney beans are a good source. I too am lactose intolerant. And allergic to eggs. :/ I like pasta with white kidney beans, throw in some sauce and some tuna. Tons of protein in there! I'm usually able to hit my protein goal. But I'm okay with eating the same thing for days.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Other than the obvious meat and legume options, if you're looking for a protein bar options (just for convenience, etc.), CLIF Builder's Bars are lactose free (soy isolate is the protein source, 20g total), but are manufactured in a mixed facility ("May contain traces of milk"). It may be an option, depending on your level of intolerance.
  • geimerst
    geimerst Posts: 17 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Answers to this question, from an authority on the topic - Rich Roll:
    My Top 7 Sources of Plant-Based Protein

Note: Rich Roll is a two-time top finisher at the Ultraman World Championships and in 2010 was the first person (along with colleague Jason Lester) to complete EPIC5 – 5 ironman-distance triathlons on 5 Hawaiian Islands in under a week. His inspirational memoir FINDING ULTRA: Rejecting Middle Age, Becoming One of the World’s Fittest Men, and Discovering Myself was an Amazon #1 best-seller and has inspired thousands across the world to embrace a plant-based diet. Rich is a frequent guest on CNN, was named one of the "25 Fittest Men in the World" by Men's Fitness and is the host of The Rich Roll Podcast topping charts on iTunes. A graduate of Stanford University and Cornell Law School, Rich is an inspiration to people worldwide as a transformative example of healthy living.
  • not_superiority
    not_superiority Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i have a milk allergy and am in the same boat. i'm still trying to figure it out, but adding eggs to at least one meal a day helps. lots of meat (nix the sauce unless you made it yourself, you never seriously know unless you make it yourself), spinach. vegan protein powder works as well, i get mine off of amazon to avoid the huge price tag at the store.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    hemp/soy protein powder (Trader Joe's is inexpensive), tempeh, seitan, processed soy products like veggie dogs, "sausage" patties, burgers...