Just finished chemo - need to lose drug induced podge

Options
Hi there! I'm 39 and finished treatment for breast cancer recently. I had a reconstruction which used my right lattisimus dorsi muscle, although I don't notice any real weakness, and I finished chemo 4 weeks. I feel pretty good but steroids, chemo and lethargy have left their mark - I'm 16ibs heavier than I was at the beginning of treatment, have a moon face and no hair. And my hormones are also in a mess! I've decided today is the day that I reclaim my life back. I can live without hair and eyebrows as long as I can get into my jeans! I've been told that losing the weight will be a slow process as its due to a drug side effect but I'm determined. Whilst I wasn't overweight before chemo, I want to eat better (5 portions fruit + veg, no processed foods, reduce alcohol intake) and decrease my body fat to give myself the best chance of living without a recurrence. Currently I weigh 155Ibs and I'd really like to get down to 135Ibs.

Replies

• suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I've had several friends go through this and gain weight during as well...as if the other crap you have to handle isn't bad enough! Congratulations on coming out the other side and feeling ready to take control of your health!

MFP is a great spot to start...weigh and track your food and manage your macros...I've been trying to eat exactly how you said above. I've caved on the occasional processed food (usually some sort of breaded chicken type thing does me in) but for the most part just straight up lean proteins, fruits, veggies, and healthy fats.

Good luck, looking forward to following your progress!
  • KLangleydoula
    KLangleydoula Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    You can do this! I would be happy to cheer you on. Feel free to add me!
  • Carrie_McC
    Carrie_McC Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey Suruda, thanks for your comments. And yep, I was horrified to realise weight gain was part and parcel of chemo. Talk about kicking someone when they're already down! I'm feeling really positive and motivated right now though, wanting to grab life and make the most of it :) . I think MFP will really help when that motivation begins to wane.
  • cleaver1
    cleaver1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations! Very inspirational story and well done on wanting to get on top of your health. MFP is great for tracking progress and keeping you motivated. Wishing you the best of luck on your journey!!
  • Carrie_McC
    Carrie_McC Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks Cleaver1, really kind words :smiley: